PDA

View Full Version : [Feat] Toy with things you little understand

paddyfool
2006-09-17, 11:33 AM
A new feat idea (that actually has a very specific purpose in mind, ie making a Swashbuckler in Eberron capable of becoming a Windwright Captain with only a single cross-class level into Wizard or Sorceror at a sensible level).

Toy with things you little understand:
Requirements: Int 13, Chr 13
Character gains Use Magic Device as a class skill and has a +1 to Use Magic Device checks

Is this balanced? I'm particularly cautious about not making it overpowered, since I'd have to run it by a DM to make my idea work.

Paddy

NullAshton
2006-09-17, 01:32 PM
Not sure, but I think just having it as Use Magic Device as a class skill would be balanced. The +1 stacks with skill focus, which is bad.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-17, 01:33 PM
"Hey, look what I can do, Roy!"
"Elan, put down V's mag--"
*end of plane*

Fizban
2006-09-17, 02:28 PM
I know there's a feat somewhere that just gives you any skill as a class skill all the time, no prerequisites. Just can't remember where it was.

paddyfool
2006-09-18, 02:18 AM
There is (Able Learner, from Races of Destiny), but it's humans or dopplegangers only, and the prestige class I was looking at is half-elves only.

The only "legitimate" way to get Use Magic Device as a "class" skill for a swashbuckler would be to take a level in half-elf paragon followed by a level in human paragon. Not sure if my DM would smile on this, though, and it wouldn't factor in until level 3 at least, quite apart from making for a messy build.

Oh, and I'd like to think Elan would fall down on the Int 13 requirement (much as the idea amuses me), so we can all breathe a sigh of relief on that front :).

NullAshton
2006-09-18, 08:21 AM
A single level of Human Paragon can let you choose any skill as a class skill.

Incidentally, it also gives a bonus feat at second level, and +2 to an ability score of choice at third level. And you can choose any 10 skills as class skills, which is nice.

endoperez
2006-09-18, 09:46 AM
A single level of Human Paragon can let you choose any skill as a class skill.

Incidentally, it also gives a bonus feat at second level, and +2 to an ability score of choice at third level. And you can choose any 10 skills as class skills, which is nice.

However, as with Able Learner, it's humans only.

paddyfool
2006-09-18, 10:15 AM
However, as with Able Learner, it's humans only.

Indeed, which is why I originally stipulated a level of half-elf paragon followed by human paragon (there's a class ability of the level one half-elf paragons that allows them to also take levels in either human paragon or elf paragon).

Here's how it would work:

Level one Swashbuckler - take maxed profession(sailor), climb and balance, but only need 1 cross-class rank in use magic device
Level two Half-elf paragon
Level three Human paragon (enabled by half-elf paragon and allows me to select one skill as an "adaptive" class skill - ie that always counts as a class skill)
Further three levels of swashbuckler plus a level of wizard or sorcerer. At some point along the way I'd be investing a couple of feats in Mark of Storm.
Level 8 - windwright captain!
Level 9 - obtain life's dream (windwright of very own).

I've got a whole background in mind for this character, but don't think it's necessary to post it here (my favourite part is Quirk: Dreams of flight, which was the original inspiration for the build, and almost led to my planning a route to Sharn Skymage). Going to have to run the build by the DM, though, and I really don't know his views on racial paragon levels. Also, I'm starting at level one, and have never before planned this many levels ahead for a character, but never mind.

Paddy

Edit: DM nixed it. Looks like I'll be roleplaying a Rogue ::)

vanyell
2006-09-18, 11:38 AM
there is also jack of all trades from complete adventurer, that lets you useany skill as if you had a half rank in it