PDA

View Full Version : Console Advertising - Worth it?

evisiron
2009-02-19, 11:27 AM
This is the topic for my dissertation.

If you own a console and have a free minute, I would really appreciate it if you could fill in this short tick-box survey:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=qPsj106DpN5LX4qHuBYNSw_3d_3d
Thank you! :smallbiggrin:

Aside from that, what do people think? Is advertising for video game consoles worth the investment?

Joran
2009-02-19, 11:57 AM
For me, no, console advertising isn't really worth it. I'm already up to date on all news and game releases, so advertising doesn't really affect me.

For people like my parents, it also didn't affect them at all. I think my mother tried out Wii Fit when I bought it and suddenly two of my aunts own Wiis =P

Erloas
2009-02-19, 12:47 PM
Short answer is yes, advertising is always worth it if its done well. There are a lot of people that believe what they hear and will buy an inferior, more expensive product if its advertised well. Even if they don't really have any real interest in the product itself, if the advertising gets them to believe they should then that is enough.
Consoles are no different then any other product in that regard. Their primary audience does already know pretty much everything about them and doesn't need the advertising, but there is a lot of secondary audience (which is a larger total number) that can be picked up via advertising.

If it weren't for advertising being able to get people to buy things they wouldn't normally then the world as we know it wouldn't even be close to what it is now.
edit: removing the last part because it either has to be too short to get what I'm trying to say or entirely too long for an aside sort of note.

Izmir Stinger
2009-02-19, 02:00 PM
From the title I thought this was referring to in-game advertising, such as product placement and "billboards" in the game world. Much more prominent in sports and racing games, but has been creeping into other genres. The Obama campaign bought billboard space in a racing game for the X-Box, IIRC.

As far as advertising the console product itself, I think it depends on a lot of factors. When the project entitled the "Nintendo Revolution" was unveiled as the "Wii" console, many people pissed themselves laughing (pun intended). Now the consensus is that it is a fairly good name that fits with the experience provided by the product. I think this is largely due to it's "Wii would like to play" advertising campaign, but that is just my perception.

Oregano
2009-02-19, 02:11 PM
I filled in the survey for you.

I think advertisement can only work if you're already thinking about buying something, like say I wanted a new shooter and loads of ads for Killzone 2 were around I'd probably end up buying Killzone 2(unless there was something else that looked better:smallwink:).

evisiron
2009-02-20, 11:57 PM
I filled in the survey for you.

Thank you! *Internet cookie for you!*

Triaxx
2009-02-21, 07:48 PM
There are a lot of people that believe what they hear and will buy an inferior, more expensive product if its advertised well.

Yeah, the PS3 proved that true.

*lunges behind flame shield*