PDA

View Full Version : Statting Vash

DrizztFan24
2009-02-19, 12:16 PM
Have there been any attempts, on these boards, to stat out Vash the Stampede? I have spend a decent amount of time with the search function and have been unable to find any. If there are does anyone know where to find it? If not, anyone care to try?

Curmudgeon
2009-02-19, 02:05 PM
Who's this character? I only know Vash as a recurring character in the Star Trek TV series (Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine).

Cubey
2009-02-19, 02:09 PM
He's from manga/anime Trigun.

There was no attempt to stat him completely, but elements that his build should have were discussed. He's obviously absurdly high-leveled, and taking a huge chunk out of BoED. Especially Vow of Nonviolence, but it's okay because he invests heavily in means of dealing nonlethal damage. Are there any feats for that?

DrizztFan24
2009-02-19, 03:27 PM
Vash is a peace and love loving gunman. Frankly, he has a very high INT and problem solving capacities mixed with a skill in marksmanship that is epic. He can hit targets the size of a large pickle behind his back in the middle of a fight for his life. He is able to draw and fire a round on target in a split second (he uses a modified .45 revolver by the way.) By looking at the barrel of a gun he is able to anticipate fire and direction of fire and dodge bullets, even from multiple enemies. Oh, and he is a sentient plant that looks and functions like a human, but with an intense love of donuts.

Vash never has killed anyone for 130 years but still in known as a ruthless gunman for the destruction and touble that seems to follow him. The one time he did kill a person was when he was forced to shoot the bad guy in order to save the lives of two of his friends. Even with a gun to the bad guys head he couldn't bring himself to pull the trigger until his friends were nearly killed.

So, he won't kill but he will injure, he usually attempts a disarm or a knockout, preffering disarm and surrender.

Did I forget anything really important?

Crossfiyah
2009-02-19, 03:45 PM
People always misinterpret "plant" when discussing Vash. It means plant, as in power source, not vegetation.

ErrantX
2009-02-19, 08:27 PM
People always misinterpret "plant" when discussing Vash. It means plant, as in power source, not vegetation.

More angel than vegetable actually. ;)

-X

BobVosh
2009-02-19, 08:41 PM
I would recommend the paragon template for his race. Both him and knives seem like they have it.

Tokiko Mima
2009-02-20, 01:55 AM
Did I forget anything really important?

Only his city destroying Angel Arm. He originally had two of them, but one was shot off by his brother Million Knives, but just one is enough to reduce a huge city to rubble in the blink of an eye while pointed away from it towards the sky and put a huge crater on the moon. In the manga it details how a plants lifespan is limited, and outputting more energy shortens it. Vash's hair goes from blond to black as he approaches death.

Vash's missing arm was replaced by a bionic arm that converts into a gun of various types. The combination of these three guns (Angel Arm, Bionic Arm, and normal sidearm) is where the title Trigun comes from, as I remember.

His personality is that of an arch typical paladin who has taken an oath never to kill. I don't think it's as crazy as the Vow of Nonviolence though, because Vash still does plenty that would definitely be considered violent.

His motto is "Love and Peace."

Tokiko Mima
2009-02-20, 02:15 AM
I'd stat him as a warlock with a homebrew race that gives an insane DEX mod.

He has a feat for making bullets or projectiles into ranged touch attacks that ignore concealment or cover.

He has a version of Improved Deflect Arrows that allows him to dodge or intercept literally any number of bullets or other missiles in a given round (at one point Vash casually flings small pebbles between several duelists and actually prevented the bullets from striking anyone in a vital area.)

He is capable of defeating illusions simply by concentrating.

When he needs to he can move as an immediate action.

His Quick Draw is always faster than anyone elses.

He would have access to Locate City Bomb cheese at will.

Tengu_temp
2009-02-20, 02:15 AM
His personality is that of an arch typical paladin who has taken an oath never to kill. I don't think it's as crazy as the Vow of Nonviolence though, because Vash still does plenty that would definitely be considered violent.

Actually, Vow of Nonviolence only requires you not to deal lethal damage, doesn't it? Just take the feat that gives you no attack penalty to nonlethal damage and there we go. Easiest way around a feat's limitations ever. It's even in the same book.

ShadowFighter15
2009-02-20, 03:55 AM
(at one point Vash casually flings small pebbles between several duelists and actually prevented the bullets from striking anyone in a vital area.)

I always saw that as throwing the rocks at the guns, timing it so that the duelists wouldn't notice it due to the recoil, and throwing off their aim slightly. Knowing Vash, he probably worked out who was going to win before either of them fired. Whether he decided to let one or the other win, I'm not sure.

PrismaticPIA
2009-02-20, 12:33 PM
Only his city destroying Angel Arm. He originally had two of them, but one was shot off by his brother Million Knives, but just one is enough to reduce a huge city to rubble in the blink of an eye while pointed away from it towards the sky and put a huge crater on the moon. In the manga it details how a plants lifespan is limited, and outputting more energy shortens it. Vash's hair goes from blond to black as he approaches death.

Vash's missing arm was replaced by a bionic arm that converts into a gun of various types. The combination of these three guns (Angel Arm, Bionic Arm, and normal sidearm) is where the title Trigun comes from, as I remember.

His motto is "Love and Peace."

The angel arm would be a major artifact. Stat it as a gun/rod that can cast a supped up Sphere of Annihilation that has a radius of several hundred miles, useable only by members of Vash's race. You won't need to worry about brokenness too much such he'll never use it.

The Demented One
2009-02-20, 01:16 PM
I think Exalted would be a good system for starting Vash...high-compassion Dawn Caste with lots of Righteous Devil martial arts charms, with the angel arm being some kind of First Age essence weapon.

Tengu_temp
2009-02-20, 01:39 PM
Although flamewands in Exalted are closer to flamethrowers than actual guns, despite their appearance.

Heliomance
2009-02-20, 10:19 PM
I'd stat him as a warlock with a homebrew race that gives an insane DEX mod.

He has a feat for making bullets or projectiles into ranged touch attacks that ignore concealment or cover.
It's called Improved Precise Shot, and I disagree about the touch attack thing. He's just That Good.

He is capable of defeating illusions simply by concentrating.Can be done with an Epic spot check, not sure of other ways.

When he needs to he can move as an immediate action.
Travel Devotion?

His Quick Draw is always faster than anyone elses.
No rules for that. A high enough Dex will mean he mostly wins Initiative. Improved Init would be a good feat though.

He would have access to Locate City Bomb cheese at will.Haha, no. Just stat the arm up as an artifact.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-02-20, 10:51 PM
Manga's in print, anime is animated, etc. etc. Although Trigun is both, so it doesn't really matter.

"Statting Vash from Trigun" or "Statting Vash the Stampede" would have been far more clear thread titles, though, I agree.

And anyway, any character from fiction has been statted out in D&D 3.5 somewhere on the internet by now. And probably in Mutants & Masterminds, because that's what it's for.

In fact, since the topic creator didn't specify a system... (http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=319479#319479)crazy people, always assuming he means D&D.

Tokiko Mima
2009-02-21, 08:40 PM
Haha, no. Just stat the arm up as an artifact.

Yeah, but I don't think it works that way. Vash's arm is a part of his body, and unlike an artifact, someone else can't cut it off and use it themselves. Case in point is Legato Bluesummers who Knives grafted Vash's arm onto. He isn't able to use it anymore as a city destroying weapon, though it might have boosted his mind control powers. So the Angel Arm is probably more of an outlet or a channeling device for a plant's power than an artifact all by itself.

DrizztFan24
2009-02-21, 10:35 PM
Didn't he require his revolver to create the angel arm? Seems to me like an artifact that works with a specific race.

Aquillion
2009-02-22, 12:56 AM
He seems more like something out of Exalted than something out of D&D. Loads of Dodge charms and Perfect attacks with his guns Firewands. Obviously, Compassionate Martyrdom would be his flaw if he were a Solar...