PDA

View Full Version : Did Oracle predict V's death?

Raenir Salazar
2009-02-19, 01:12 PM
Now I'm not sure but it seems that the Oracle's prediction of Belkar killing that list of people is amphibious (just as his answer was), has he hinted anywhere else that V is going to die?

Kaytara
2009-02-19, 01:21 PM
Now I'm not sure but it seems that the Oracle's prediction of Belkar killing that list of people is amphibious (just as his answer was), has he hinted anywhere else that V is going to die?

I believe that you mean either that the answer was ambiguous, or that the Oracle is reptilian. :smallbiggrin:

Not directly. But there's Belkar's prophecy. While it has been fulfilled, and thus has become meaningless, there's the little detail of that time when the Oracle was trying to convince Belkar how he had already fulfilled his prophecy. While Belkar's part in causing the deaths was marginal at best, Roy and Miko have still died, just not directly due to Belkar. Windstriker, while not having "died", technically fulfils the condition of being dead anyway.
Thus, it is likely that something is going to happen to V. Not necessarily literal death, but perhaps a creatively interpreted definition of spiritual or emotional death, instead...
If the Oracle didn't think V's case applied in some way, he wouldn't have brought it up.

Silverraptor
2009-02-19, 01:51 PM
Actually I think what the Oracles prediction meant. The oracle said, "And as for the elf..." meaning that some stupid reason for V dying from something that Belkar caused.

Remember when Durkon confronted V during the wedding? V said that he wasted his time pulling pranks on Belkar instead of furthuring his power. Meaning Belkar distracted V from his arcane study.

But the bogus answer is, technically Belkar "Killed" V if you call selling your soul is killing your freedom or something like that. Yes it's simular to Windstrikers supposed death, but this is the oracle were talking about.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-02-19, 01:56 PM
Or... V could enter a state of undeath. While this strip already has a lich, there are other self-directed undead.

Vaarsuvius the vampire elf...

Vaarsuvius, the spell casting banshee...

Vaarsuvius the...

What other undead could V become, AND still retain spellcasting? Not sure why V would need to become undead with this deal with the IFCC, but it would (somehow) tie into Belkar causing Vaarsuvius' death.

NerfTW
2009-02-19, 02:21 PM
I'm pretty sure V isn't going to actually die, because that wouldn't follow the sequence of the joke. Roy was the most direct correlation after the Oracle. Then Miko, who was tenuously connected at best. Then the horse, who didn't even technically die, and was twice removed from Belkar's actions. (Influence Miko to fall, and then she causes Windstriker's return to the Heavenly Realms by falling)

So V's connection to the prophecy will probably be something utterly ridiculous, like Belkar showing up to save his/her family, resulting in V "dying inside" at the thought of oweing Belkar gratitude.

bluewind95
2009-02-19, 02:52 PM
I must be one of the only ones who thinks that the Oracle in no way predicted V's death, metaphorical or otherwise. With each death he blamed on Belkar, the link to Belkar was weaker. By the time he got to Windstriker, he already used a metaphorical death. I still think the Oracle was going to say something like "As for the elf... you don't get to kill him" or "As for the elf, he gets to live to an old, ripe age, forever bitter about having met you". After all... the prophecy said that he would cause the death of any of them, not all of them.

Mando Knight
2009-02-19, 02:53 PM
I believe that you mean either that the answer was ambiguous, or that the Oracle is reptilian. :smallbiggrin:

Not reptilian. Amphibian. Amphibians (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphibian) are frogs, salamanders, toads, newts, and caecilians. Kermit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kermit_the_Frog) would be an amphibian, lizardfolk and kobolds are not.

EDIT: ...unless that's what you were getting at, in which my post failed. :smallredface:

Kaytara
2009-02-19, 03:20 PM
I must be one of the only ones who thinks that the Oracle in no way predicted V's death, metaphorical or otherwise. With each death he blamed on Belkar, the link to Belkar was weaker. By the time he got to Windstriker, he already used a metaphorical death. I still think the Oracle was going to say something like "As for the elf... you don't get to kill him" or "As for the elf, he gets to live to an old, ripe age, forever bitter about having met you". After all... the prophecy said that he would cause the death of any of them, not all of them.

The link to Belkar was weaker, but there was still something to link TO. Which means that there should also be something to link to with Vaarsuvius. Except, as already explained, it's likely to be in some figurative way rather than literally dying.
By the way, if we're trying to pin anything bad that happens to V on Belkar, we don't even need to consider the Event. We need not look any farther than Vaarsuvius' messenger birds, whom Belkar pointed out to Haley, causing her to shoot them and V's communication attempt to fail. Had Belkar said nothing, the birds probably would've gotten within range and started reciting the message before Haley spotted them.

Not reptilian. Amphibian. Amphibians (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphibian) are frogs, salamanders, toads, newts, and caecilians. Kermit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kermit_the_Frog) would be an amphibian, lizardfolk and kobolds are not.

EDIT: ...unless that's what you were getting at, in which my post failed. :smallredface:

Thanks, but that is indeed exactly what I was getting at. XD