PDA

View Full Version : OOTS world cosmology

Eerie
2009-02-19, 02:40 PM
I wonder...

According to the Crayons of Time, Outer Planes existed before the material world was created. Gods, also.

However, don`t you need people, before you have deities? I mean, elfs and goblins "raised up their own gods" somehow. Or it isn`t connected?

jamroar
2009-02-19, 02:53 PM
I wonder...

According to the Crayons of Time, Outer Planes existed before the material world was created. Gods, also.

However, don`t you need people, before you have deities? I mean, elfs and goblins "raised up their own gods" somehow. Or it isn`t connected?

It means the OOTSworld elven and goblin gods are likely former mortals who ascended to godhood, whereas the lot from the Crayons of Time were primal beings who were around from the beginning. Also, the OOTS world is not necessarily the only Material plane around.

Mando Knight
2009-02-19, 03:13 PM

In divinely constructed worlds (like most D&D campaign worlds), deities always come first. Contrary to the more naturalistic real-world explanation for the human tendency towards religion, D&D campaign worlds consist of divinities that are as real as the worshipers that follow them, and are not merely psychological constructs of the worshipers. The greater gods, like the main pantheons shown in the Crayons of Time, created the campaign world, and thus existed before it or any of its inhabitants. Other deities, like the goblinoid and elvish deities, were ascended mortals who gathered enough followers to gain divine power.

Banjo, like the Dark One and the elvish gods, also achieved "critical believers" and became a (very minor) deity. Disregarding that his ascension is mostly for humorous effect, there were only ever a few believers at Banjo's ascension, and so it seems that if sufficiently powerful beings (like a party of mid-level PCs) "count more" per capita towards godhood than hapless mooks like the goblins.

David Argall
2009-02-20, 07:28 PM
In divinely constructed worlds (like most D&D campaign worlds),
Most D&D worlds have the world construct the gods. Assuming the game actually involves the gods at all, god-killing is a very common part of the game. The PCs are also apt to become gods by the end of the campaign. The gods are simply very high level monsters.

The superiority of the world to the gods can be seen in the case of paladins. God given orders to do evil must be rejected. The god is unable to define evil or good. He might have created the world, but only the physical world, not the system that frames him.

Llama231
2009-02-20, 07:32 PM
So does this mean that the snarl is not a danger to the fiends?

Assassin89
2009-02-20, 07:37 PM
So does this mean that the snarl is not a danger to the fiends?

The snarl is a threat to all existence, so I'm pretty sure that the fiends would not want the snarl to unmake them.

xyzzy
2009-02-20, 08:18 PM
It's entirely possible that the dieties were created by the people of a previous world --- we aren't told that the world the Snarl undid was the first world they made, so it's entirely possible that, say, they were weaker dieties from some other world who wanted a bit more power.

Which gets into the theory that all myths are true (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AllMythsAreTrue) and that OOTS takes place in this universe --- the various pantheons from mythology have manifested in the OOTS world, which explains the existence of source books and OtOoPCs in the OOTS wor---

Oops, got a little too crazy theory fanatic there. Sorry:smalltongue:

jamroar
2009-02-21, 06:04 AM
The snarl is a threat to all existence, so I'm pretty sure that the fiends would not want the snarl to unmake them.

For one thing, the Snarl unleashed would mean the end of a supply of evil souls to harvest, even if it did not affect them directly.