PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Question!

theguyintherobe
2009-02-19, 06:36 PM
Now, before we get started, if there is already a thread like this, someone please tell me so i don't make a fool out of my self:smallamused:.

Who do you think would win in a fight?

pirate:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cx_gallery/86355.jpg

... or ninja:http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cx_gallery/86346.jpg

now, don't start a "flame war", is that what it's called?
Anyways, i just don't want my first thread to be bad...
You decide!

Kaelaroth
2009-02-19, 06:39 PM
First off: Ninjas. Obviously.
Also, this may have worked better if the pictures were spoilered so as not to destroy the page for those reading, and perhaps with better grammar it may be more suitable in another board. But someone is likely to prove me wrong.

Assassin89
2009-02-19, 06:41 PM
Pirate wins at sea if the ninja drowns, ninja wins in any other condition.

BRC
2009-02-19, 06:49 PM
"Is there a thread about this?", there is practically an entire internet about it.

Castel
2009-02-19, 06:52 PM
Everyone knows that the ninja started the whole "ninja vs pirates" thing as a joke. There is no way a pirate can beat a ninja. Even if i think pirates have some very cool stuff :smallamused:

Deathslayer7
2009-02-19, 07:22 PM
i think there was a pirate/ninja which is better thread in SMBG, but i think it died off.

as for winning, ninjas will.

Better lifestyle: pirates.

Szilard
2009-02-19, 07:38 PM
Pirates are cooler.
Ninjas are better.

littlebottom
2009-02-19, 07:39 PM
when will the world see? it doesnt matter weather your a ninja, or pirate... it only matters if your a

NINJA-PIRATE! (yes or a Pirate-ninja, its all the same)

they dont have to be at war, let them be at peace as one.... NINJA + PIRATE = WIN!

theguyintherobe
2009-02-19, 07:40 PM
Srry kaelaroth, if mai grammer is not on ur lvl.

I do not know how to put in spoilers, and i did not think of any other place to put it in, because i was in a rush.

littlebottom
2009-02-19, 07:41 PM
type

[ spoiler ]

(insert text/pic etc. here)

[ /spoiler ]

without the spaces, and what you put inbetween goes in the spoiler

Odin the Ignoble
2009-02-19, 07:42 PM
42!
Oh wait, I'm sorry, wrong ultimate question.

The answer is pirate. Guns trump martial arts any day.

Castel
2009-02-19, 08:02 PM
when will the world see? it doesnt matter weather your a ninja, or pirate... it only matters if your a

NINJA-PIRATE! (yes or a Pirate-ninja, its all the same)

they dont have to be at war, let them be at peace as one.... NINJA + PIRATE = WIN!

Tarol Hunt disagrees (http://www.goblinscomic.com/tf8.html).

Recaiden
2009-02-19, 08:03 PM
Ninja's may be more effective, but pirates are better.

Boo
2009-02-19, 08:17 PM
This is a question that cannot be answered without being specific. In an open place, or narrow hall, pirate. In a forest, or area with lots of places to hide, ninja. What I've stated is not definite, but rather the most likely winner of the two.

As well, some pirates wore armor, so you can factor that in or out if you like.

chiasaur11
2009-02-19, 08:36 PM

Oh, wrong question. Ninjas. Read Dr. McNinja and be enlightened.

Felixaar
2009-02-19, 08:47 PM
42!
Oh wait, I'm sorry, wrong ultimate question.

*falls over laughing* :smallbiggrin:

Pirate. Definetly Pirate. After all, when was the last time someone made a blockbluster trilogy of Ninja Movies starring Johhny Depp and with music composed by Klaus Badelt and or Hans Zimmer?

Never, that's when.

littlebottom
2009-02-19, 08:52 PM
Tarol Hunt disagrees (http://www.goblinscomic.com/tf8.html).

haha! damn the ninja-pirate / pirate-ninjas only weakness... the DM :smallwink:

Icewalker
2009-02-19, 09:00 PM
In a literal fight, ninja (unless taken in really extreme circumstances). Pirates were sailors, and would have been nowhere near as well trained when it came to fighting.

Moving beyond that though, pirates are awesome. Personally, I'd say more so than ninjas, but now we're just hitting subjective ground.

Da Beast
2009-02-19, 09:09 PM
Are the ninjas historical ninjas or the bad ass super humans that ninjas are depicted as in fiction?

littlebottom
2009-02-19, 09:18 PM
Are the ninjas historical ninjas or the bad ass super humans that ninjas are depicted as in fiction?

what? theres a difference? :smallamused:

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2009-02-19, 09:19 PM
Neither. A person with the invention of one Samuel Colt (http://www.gunblast.com/images/Taurus_Gaucho/2MVC-022F.jpg) trumps both.

CMOTDibbler
2009-02-19, 09:22 PM
Ha! Ninjas and Pirates?
http://thxforthe.info/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/lumberjack_commandos.jpg

BRC
2009-02-19, 09:32 PM
My answer is as follows
The equation for Ninja Effectiveness is T=1/N, where N is the number of Ninjas on a given side of combat, and T is the total threat. The Equation for Pirate effectiveness is T= P+(Sw/s)/D, or Number of Pirates, plus the average swear words per second, divided by the distance from sea. Therefore, A single Ninja defeats a single Pirate, and a single Ninja may, in fact, defeat multiple pirates, but as the numbers on both sides increase, the situation rapidly swings in favor of the pirates/

Whynn
2009-02-19, 09:33 PM
Pirate. Only because he made his Spot check, though, and was able to shoot the guy before he got too close.

(edit) Assuming he has a gun...which...it appears, he doesn't...Ninja throws shuriken. Critical hit.

Also, Fourty-Two is the answer to the Ultimate Question. Must be the wrong Question.

Icewalker...while Ninjas are trained better, pirates undoubtably have more experience.

Mando Knight
2009-02-19, 09:47 PM
It's an old ninja joke (http://drmcninja.com/page.php?pageNum=32&issue=2). Seriously? Pirates? Compete with ninjas? :smalltongue:

Two words. Shamrock. Shuriken. (http://drmcninja.com/page.php?pageNum=40&issue=2)

I mean, seriously, what pirate ever surfed a robo-Dracula from the moon (http://drmcninja.com/page.php?pageNum=49&issue=11)? And lived to tell about it?

Flame of Anor
2009-02-19, 09:48 PM
If we're talking about pirate v. ninja, then the ninja would probably win, except if they were forced into a fair fight, in which case the pirate would have a chance, especially with his pistol.

HOWEVER, that is not the Ultimate Question. The real Ultimate Question, or Last Question, as detailed in Isaac Asimov's story The Last Question, is: can entropy ever be reversed? I highly recommend everyone read it. And most other things Asimov wrote. (You can skip Little Brothers, the essay he wrote for his high-school newspaper.)

Of course, there are also the proponents of the view that the Ultimate Question is: "What do you get when you multiply six by nine", with the answer, of course, being 42. These people "always knew there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe", and they may well be right.

[/derail]

d13
2009-02-19, 09:56 PM
Pirates are the ultimate coolness. Ninjas are... Meh xD.

So, I'll go with...

NINJA-WIZARDS!

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/Drachorn/NINJAWIZARDS.gif

Somehow related:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1305/acatapultfw3.gif

Deathslayer7
2009-02-19, 10:56 PM
^ you win in my book. :smallbiggrin:

Copacetic
2009-02-19, 10:59 PM
*falls over laughing* :smallbiggrin:

Pirate. Definetly Pirate. After all, when was the last time someone made a blockbluster trilogy of Ninja Movies starring Johhny Depp and with music composed by Klaus Badelt and or Hans Zimmer?

Never, that's when.

There will be a day, my friend, when Johnny Depp casts aside his pirate hat and assumes the role of Master Jack Sparrow, and sets of to fight the world with his ninja powers.

Someday....

FdL
2009-02-19, 11:09 PM
This is the kind of question that leads nowhere.

The only winning move is not to play [/joshua]

d13
2009-02-19, 11:18 PM
^ you win in my book. :smallbiggrin:

Arr!!! Anytime, matey!!

*Casts a spell*

Trizap
2009-02-19, 11:20 PM
the answer to the eternal ninjas vs. pirates debate is 23.

don't ask me how, I just know.

Serpentine
2009-02-19, 11:24 PM
First off: Ninjas. Obviously.
Also, this may have worked better if the pictures were spoilered so as not to destroy the page for those reading, and perhaps with better grammar it may be more suitable in another board. But someone is likely to prove me wrong.The grammar looks fine to me, and the pictures don't exactly look huge, at least horizontally :smallconfused:

When was the last time you saw a ninja sail a magnificent ship into battle, successfully or otherwise? Never, that's when.
When was the last time you saw a pirate sneak up on someone and kill them stealthily, successfully or otherwise? Often, that's when.
Pirates have more fun! Ninjas just watch from the shadows. Perverts.

d13
2009-02-19, 11:26 PM
Ninjas just watch from the shadows. Perverts.

Ninjas try to deny and hide their perverted-ness... Pirates just live with it, and celebrate it...

There's no debate here. Pirates > Ninjas.

littlebottom
2009-02-20, 12:07 AM
its simple, take a good thing, and another good (or maybe "not-so-good") thing and add them togeather = more...

1+1=2

chocolate + eat = happy

birthday + cake = wish

insomnia + boredom = ninija vs pirates thread

pirate + ninja = PirateNinja!

its basic math, no one can deny it! no not even stephen hawking can deny the fact ninja+pirate = pirate< / ninja< all bow down to my solving of the entire internets problems! the oldest debate of internets history! i am an interweb god! :smallbiggrin: :smallwink:

chiasaur11
2009-02-20, 12:21 AM
The grammar looks fine to me, and the pictures don't exactly look huge, at least horizontally :smallconfused:

When was the last time you saw a ninja sail a magnificent ship into battle, successfully or otherwise? Never, that's when.
When was the last time you saw a pirate sneak up on someone and kill them stealthily, successfully or otherwise? Often, that's when.
Pirates have more fun! Ninjas just watch from the shadows. Perverts.

When has a pirate surfed a robodracula to Earth?

Never. Ninjas don't use boats because they RUN faster. On water.

SilentP
2009-02-20, 03:20 AM
When has a pirate surfed a robodracula to Earth?

Ah, but that ninja was a ninja DOCTOR, so really the awesomeness is limited to either those of the medical profession, or those of said profession with a penchant for espionage subtelty and assasinness (yes I just made that word up, couldn't think of anything better :smallbiggrin:). So until we see more ninja's surfing robodracula to Earth, we must assume it's a blip in the statistics :smallwink:

Yarram
2009-02-20, 03:43 AM
its simple, take a good thing, and another good (or maybe "not-so-good") thing and add them togeather = more...

1+1=2

chocolate + eat = happy

birthday + cake = wish

insomnia + boredom = ninija vs pirates thread

pirate + ninja = PirateNinja!

its basic math, no one can deny it! no not even stephen hawking can deny the fact ninja+pirate = pirate< / ninja< all bow down to my solving of the entire internets problems! the oldest debate of internets history! i am an interweb god! :smallbiggrin: :smallwink:

Oh god... That means:

Sex + Hanging with my mates = ... WTH!?!

Serpentine
2009-02-20, 03:49 AM
Sex + Hanging with my mates = A life changing bonding experience, and important lessons learned by allThere you go :smallwink:

Player_Zero
2009-02-20, 04:52 AM
In before cowboys.

Also, no one can stand in the way of the dream of a brave man of the sea.

Athaniar
2009-02-20, 05:18 AM
Obviously, whichever side has the fewest combatants will win. One ninja defeats many pirates, and one pirate defeats many ninja. One-on-one will be a draw. This is a fundamental law of the universe, created so that neither side would have an advantage over the other. And while the pirates and ninja are fighting, the klingons come in and defeat both sides in honorable combat.

chiasaur11
2009-02-20, 06:27 PM
Obviously, whichever side has the fewest combatants will win. One ninja defeats many pirates, and one pirate defeats many ninja. One-on-one will be a draw. This is a fundamental law of the universe, created so that neither side would have an advantage over the other. And while the pirates and ninja are fighting, the klingons come in and defeat both sides in honorable combat.

Ninjas and pirates scoff at honorable combat.

Pirates because they're too stupid to understand the idea, ninjas because they're smart enough to get that the bloody Marquis of Faulteroy is a mooron.

littlebottom
2009-02-20, 07:09 PM

so that bit i just bolded, means that a ninja hiding on a pirate ship can massacre all the pirates? and a pirate walking into a ninja assassin secret dojo will slaughter the assassins?

theres something wrong with that somewhere im sure...

chiasaur11
2009-02-20, 08:21 PM
so that bit i just bolded, means that a ninja hiding on a pirate ship can massacre all the pirates? and a pirate walking into a ninja assassin secret dojo will slaughter the assassins?

theres something wrong with that somewhere im sure...

Here's a hint: It's the pirate killing ninjas part.

Athaniar
2009-02-21, 04:17 PM
It's a common fact that ninja become weaker as they group together. Therefore, a dojo should consist of as few as possible members, and when threatened with invasion, all but the strongest ninja should teleport away. Fortunately for ninja, however, is the fact that few pirate ships sail with a minimum of crewmen, so send one ninja to board, and victory shall be ours, ehm, theirs. I am neutral, yes. Neutral. Note that the ninja will be even better if he is a doctor.

Copacetic
2009-02-21, 04:30 PM
It's a common fact that ninja become weaker as they group together. Therefore, a dojo should consist of as few as possible members, and when threatened with invasion, all but the strongest ninja should teleport away. Fortunately for ninja, however, is the fact that few pirate ships sail with a minimum of crewmen, so send one ninja to board, and victory shall be ours, ehm, theirs. I am neutral, yes. Neutral. Note that the ninja will be even better if he is a doctor.

Everything is better with a medcal degree.

Spiryt
2009-02-21, 04:37 PM
About ninjas and pirates...

I must know:

Do people really discuss it seriously somewhere on the Internet ?

Neithan
2009-02-21, 06:11 PM
And while the pirates and ninja are fighting, the klingons come in and defeat both sides in honorable combat.

I must to say, I have yet to see a klingon fight honorably.

Fredthefighter
2009-02-21, 06:20 PM

Yep, they talk about honour and then stab you in the back, but they do it "honourably"

sktarq
2009-02-21, 06:43 PM
Well if we know the result is 42 we just have to work backwards untill....oh sorry wrong thread....misleading title

Serpentine
2009-02-21, 08:59 PM
Everything is better with a medcal degree."That's Doctor Executioner to you, prisoner!"
"Greetings parishoners, I am Dr. Rev. Brown."
You may be onto something here...

Athaniar
2009-02-22, 05:57 AM

The klingon definition of "honorable" is different from the human definition of the word, naturally. The klingon definition is something like "anything you can get away with".

SoD
2009-02-22, 07:33 AM
(edit) Assuming he has a gun...which...it appears, he doesn't...Ninja throws shuriken. Critical hit.

Oh no! So it only does...2d2 damage? Plus any strength bonus...from a wis/dex orientated class...and any magical enhancements...we're looking at something which might knock a first level wizard unconcious. If he didn't have a con bonus.

Going by your logic, I vote for the pirate. Because everything's better with pirates. That's right. Pirates make pizza-delivering-ninjas better.

Darius Midnite
2009-02-22, 10:31 AM
I would rather live the life of an Pirate rather than that of an Ninjas. Though the Ninjas combat prowess exceeds the Pirates, the Pirate isn't as solemn and reserved.
Why couldn't someone make a crossover between the two? The Ninrate, or the Pinja.

Assassin89
2009-02-22, 11:24 AM
Faris from Final Fantasy V would win overall. She is a pirate who can become a ninja.

chiasaur11
2009-02-22, 02:27 PM
Oh no! So it only does...2d2 damage? Plus any strength bonus...from a wis/dex orientated class...and any magical enhancements...we're looking at something which might knock a first level wizard unconcious. If he didn't have a con bonus.

Going by your logic, I vote for the pirate. Because everything's better with pirates. That's right. Pirates make pizza-delivering-ninjas better.

What if the ninja has levels in Crusader and cleric, huh?

That's an infinite damage shuriken buddy.

Coidzor
2009-02-22, 02:32 PM
I think the greater question is this...

Can Ninjas Coexist With Pirates?! (http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/essays/coexist.htm)

OverdrivePrime
2009-02-22, 04:44 PM
Badass of the Week already does a good job of covering this important issue. (http://www.badassoftheweek.com/email-ninjapirate.html) (naughty language ensues, obviously)

Meditate upon this: You know it to be true. Even the most badassed of all the pirates wouldn't be able to get far without his trusty crew of scurvy bastards, especially since it takes at least twenty people to sail a sloop or sack a town or whatever. As the numbers of pirates increase, their power grows. As the number of ninjas increase, their strength decreases, probably because they get in each other's way or sap each other's awesomeness or something. Together, they represent the Ultimate Duality of Badassitude.

And that's your answer. The only difference in this is: if in a D&D duel (as most things come down to), the pirate is smart enough to be a second level 3.5 barbarian, rather than a 20th level swashbuckler. In that case, the all of the hapless ninja's crazy tricks will be powerless against the barbaric pirate.

In all other circumstances, the boring ol' ninja will clean house on the pirate, while the dying pirate can at least take satisfaction in the fact that he or she has led an infinitely more hedonistic life.

Da Beast
2009-02-22, 07:08 PM

So, I'll go with...

NINJA-WIZARDS!

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/Drachorn/NINJAWIZARDS.gif

Somehow related:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1305/acatapultfw3.gif

Where did these come from?

Whynn
2009-02-22, 07:53 PM

Fine, critical+BACKSTAB, (3x damage), hit.

Might knock out a SECOND level wizard! :P

Doran_Liadon
2009-02-22, 11:50 PM
Pirate!
There should be a poll...

Berserk Monk
2009-02-26, 03:43 AM
Anyways, i just don't want my first thread to be bad...

Then you should have picked a different topic.

late for dinner
2009-02-26, 12:36 PM
As long as there is only 1 ninja, he will win. The more ninjas there are, the weaker they become....example: Ninja Turtles-4 ninjas always beat 50 foot soldier ninjas

LordSintax
2009-02-26, 08:46 PM
since this thread is titled "The Ultimate Question", I'm more than tempted to answer "42". but anyway....

in a fight? ninjas.

for overall dont-give-a-crapery? pirates.

Vuzzmop
2009-02-27, 12:11 AM
Sweet Ghandi, can we let this die? I used to humour the ninja/pirate thing, but now it seems about as old and tired as Kirk/Picard.:smallsigh:

Flame of Anor
2009-02-27, 03:00 AM
Everything is better with a medcal degree.

Even lobsters!

http://z.about.com/d/animatedtv/1/7/e/3/zoidberg.jpg

Canadian
2009-02-27, 03:15 PM
42 Ninjas!

Shouldn't this thread be titled:

Real Ultimate Question!

Kool-Aid
2009-02-27, 10:18 PM
Ninjas, why? One word, scurvy. Pirates would diarrhea themselves to death at sea, nuff said. Assuming the pirate has proper vitamin C levels, it would depend on the number of ninjas.

OverdrivePrime
2009-02-28, 08:44 AM
Shouldn't this thread be titled:

Real Ultimate Question!

:smallbiggrin:
Fact: Playgrounders are ready to get Pumped!

Canadian
2009-03-01, 11:20 AM
This thread is Awesome! And by awesome I Mean Totally Sweet!

Haruki-kun
2009-03-01, 11:30 AM
Ninja win. Obviously.

Better lifestyle: pirates.

*chokes on something*

I think you may want to take a look at this:

Despite what you may think after seeing Kiera Knightley's extremely well-groomed piratess, the real world of pirates tended to involve a lot more wallowing in filth and near-starvation.

They didn't exactly have refrigerators on the boats, so basically they were restricted to eating the kind of **** that can sit in a barrel for months without rotting into slime. Hard tack was a staple of a pirate diet, dry biscuits made of flour, water and salt. They were often eaten in the dark, tapping them on the table a few times to make the weevils crawl out. When even that was unavailable, they'd occasionally resort to eating leather or slaves, if they had some handy.

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/dan/manly/pirate4.jpg
That's a Weevil. It was in their food.

Day to day routine consisted of ship upkeep, the same tedious physical labor over and over, all day, every day. Also, uncontrollable Diarrhea.

That part is thanks to scurvy, which is what happens to somebody who doesn't get enough Vitamin C in their diet. Your teeth fall out, blood runs freely from your gums and nose, and you get diarrhea. If your pirate friends don't rush you to get medical care (and they won't), you'll basically diarrhea yourself to death and they roll your putrid corpse overboard.

Your only consolation would be the knowledge that later Disney would make an amusement park ride out of your life.

Hands down, I'd rather be a ninja than a pirate any day. You're cooler, you win in a fight, and you don't die at sea from bad nutrition.

GoC
2009-03-02, 09:41 AM

So, I'll go with...

*snip*
You win the internet.:smalleek: