PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo weather Widget accuracy

FdL
2009-02-19, 06:46 PM
It's hot here. Since I installed, I've been happy with the default Yahoo Weather Widget. It looks cool even. It's supposed to get its data from weather.com.

Well, today I noticed it was way off, since we've been having a very very hot day, and it still showed 28º C, when it was well over 30. Also the "apparent temperature" was about 36 º C.

So I tried others, checking with the local governmental site for reference, of which I ended up choosing the one by Accuweather. The problem is it doesn't show the apparent temperature, something very important in my city because it tends to be quite humid and it ups the temperature by several degrees.

So I wanted to ask you if you've had similar accuracy problems with these, especially to non US residents. Or which alternatives are there that I'm missing, I'd love a widget which could show apparent temperature too.

Also, the original Yahoo one looked way better. Maybe there's a way to hack/mod it to get the data from another source?

B-Man
2009-02-19, 11:42 PM
I wound up using the Weather Network's widgit for Canadian cities. It factors the humidex and windchill better than the default one that come off of weather.com. I'm not sure how accurate it would be, but it does seem to recognise most major international cities. [Link (http://widgets.yahoo.com/widgets/the-weathereye)]

It may not be the most accurate thing out there, though. Just a forewarning. It'll display the standing temperature in the main display and in the details it will show the apparent temperature (humidex/windchill).

FdL
2009-02-20, 12:00 PM
That one looked cool, and I actually tried it. But sadly it didn't have my city :s

Right now, with a lower temperature due to heavy rain, the situation has reversed.

Yahoo's shows 23ºC (more accurate), whereas Accuweather's shows still 29ºC. Maybe it was slow to update.

I guess I'll have to use both. It's a pity really. They should make one where you can select the source for the data.