PDA

View Full Version : Brief Psionic Encounter Needed (3.5)

Human Paragon 3
2009-02-19, 07:03 PM
I'm running a game tomorrow and need a short (1/2 session or shorter) encounter involving a psionically-oriented enemy. The PCs are agents of a kingdom at war with an empire who favors psionics, and they employ psionic platoons and scouting brigades as a part of their army. The party is:

Human Fighter/paladin
Elf Dread Necromancer
Warforged Warblade
Human Scout/Ranger swift hunter
Human Gish

All level 8.

I like to run very challenging encounters, so don't be shy with stacking the odds against the party. Psychic Warrior, Psion, Soul Knife are preferable enemies.

I'm looking for enemy builds, strategies, tactics, and terrain ideas. ASAP!

Thanks

Flickerdart
2009-02-19, 07:57 PM
Send a mirror party against them. In this case, a:
Human Psychic Warrior focused on powers such as Strength of My Enemy that appear mundane, but are really not.
Elan Psion (Shaper) specializing in Astral Constructs.
Half-Giant Psychic Warrior using powers that appear to be maneuvers such as Psionic Lion's Charge.
Human Soulknife/Soulbow that, well, shoots stuff.
Maenad Psychic Warrior using more "spell-like" powers such as Weapon of Energy.

Edit: Huh, half a session? These will take a lot longer. Could be fun for a recurring enemy though.

Waylor
2009-02-19, 07:58 PM
Edit: Maybe its too hard for a lvl 8 party, depending on their build, removing the terrain that reduces speeds is a good idea, in that case change it to one that allows a good use of fly, next to a cliff or a damaged bridge.

The monsters:

Use 2 lvl 6 astral construcs and give them that highpsionic campaign feat (wild talent + chosing a lvl 1 power) and select entangling ectoplasm. Give to the first one the Improved Fly, for the second swap de ability from B for 3 abilitys from A, chose improved trip, celerity and mobility.

Combat:

Use a terrain that reduces speeds if posible, or that has objects/walls/barricades. The constructs should have a surprise round, a good idea is using a human/blue psionic that "creates/summons" them and teleports out or casts a coupple of battleground powers (in that case remove the hidden talent feat). If not using that psionic in the suprise round use entangling ectoplasm on fighter and paladin, and use your extra speed/fly to target the necromancer and the gish.

Description:

Thats the most important part, work on a good paragraph to describe the psionic, the process of creating/summoning and how the constructs look like. If using entangling ectoplasm you could explain how the construct uses the energy of his body and modifies it to cast the power.

Srd:

Hidden talent? XPH page 67 (in the spanish book :S its under the psionic campaign section)
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/astralConstruct.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/entanglingEctoplasm.htm

pd: My english needs a lot of work but hope that helped you

SoD
2009-02-19, 08:39 PM
MIND FLAYERS! TWELVE OF THEM!!!!!

What? I like mind flayers...they're psionic.

But in all seriousness, throw a bunch of thri-keen. Nothing says psionics rule better than a giant four-armed bug crushing you with its mind.

Starbuck_II
2009-02-19, 09:21 PM
I'm running a game tomorrow and need a short (1/2 session or shorter) encounter involving a psionically-oriented enemy. The PCs are agents of a kingdom at war with an empire who favors psionics, and they employ psionic platoons and scouting brigades as a part of their army. The party is:

Human Fighter/paladin
Elf Dread Necromancer
Warforged Warblade
Human Scout/Ranger swift hunter
Human Gish

All level 8.

I like to run very challenging encounters, so don't be shy with stacking the odds against the party. Psychic Warrior, Psion, Soul Knife are preferable enemies.

I'm looking for enemy builds, strategies, tactics, and terrain ideas. ASAP!

Thanks
What books allowed? Complete Psionics has some good stuff.

Hmm, how about party of enemies (not sure what CR to use)
1) Monk 1/Psion 5 (acts like Cleric) with empathic transfer (and a Psicrystal to transfer to) First manifest Vigor to gain temp hps (share with crystal). Then when someone is damaged have Crystal use Empathic (so it can take damage).

2) Psiwarrior 6: Use Illithid Heritage feats to get extra tentacles + Power Grip of Iron (to improve grapple bonuses).
Kinda a Psionic Chuthlu-themed character

3) Lurk 6 with Lurk mastery.

4) Xeph Soulknife 5/Swordsage 1 with Xeph Celerity (so extra attack that round when not using standard action manuevers) using 2 handed style bastard sword + power attack (Subtract -1 each round for +2 damage).
Burning blade, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Stone bones, and Flashing Sun.

5) 2 Pet creatures: 2 Phthisic, each CR 6 (from XPH).
Bite deals Int damage/Regeneration 5, nasty fellows.

Human Paragon 3
2009-02-20, 03:42 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your help! I decided to go with a single 11th level psion with overchannel and talent, who pre-created two level 7 astral constructs.

The fight will be very tough, but the Psion will planeshift away if he is in any sort of trouble whatsoever. I also have a house rule in place for this fight where you can disrupt the psion's concentration enough to halt the constructs for a round. Should be tough anyway, since the guy has an AC of 27 and overland flight on. Ranged touch attacks will be key (thank you dread necromancer) as well as finding ways to neutralize the constructs.

The first construct is a bruiser with smite, trip, power resistance and electrical resistance 5 (paladin has lightning). The second construct is a ranged combatant with Concussion and Energy Bolt who will be on a platform dealing out death from above.

The overland flying psion will also be handing out repairs, cacoons, and hails of crystals. Delightful.

Waylor
2009-02-20, 04:03 PM
If the paladin has electrical damage thers no need to punish him and give the monster RE 5 against his weapon :smallannoyed: , that kind of things makes the player think they wasted money/feats. If a monster has RE keep it, if it doesnt give something more generic(5 against all but one or two). But telling your player "yeah, i gave him re 5 electrical just cause you have a lightning weapon" is offensive (at least to me).

d13
2009-02-20, 04:21 PM
If the paladin has electrical damage thers no need to punish him and give the monster RE 5 against his weapon :smallannoyed: , that kind of things makes the player think they wasted money/feats. If a monster has RE keep it, if it doesnt give something more generic(5 against all but one or two). But telling your player "yeah, i gave him re 5 electrical just cause you have a lightning weapon" is offensive (at least to me).

Pretty much this xD.

Remember that you are NOT playing against the players o.o