PDA

View Full Version : Ragnaros [Challenge]

1970-01-01, 12:00 AM

BelkarsDagger
2006-09-15, 02:19 AM
I dare someone to stat out the boss of Molten Core in World of Warcraft. Someone who's actually run the dungeon and fought Ragnaros would be better at it than me, and I'm pretty much braindead at the moment.

I hope it's okay to make a thread for this...

EDIT: If you want an extra challenge, you could stat out other creatures from the dungeon. Optional.

Legoman
2006-09-15, 09:16 AM
The boss, or the whole dungeon?

Here are some things that you'd want to throw in:

1) Molten Skin: Every time Ragnaros is struck with a melee weapon, the weapon used to strike him takes 1d12 points of fire damage.

2) Flame Wave: Every 1d8 rounds, Ragnaros may create a surge of flame around him, affecting everyone within 20 feet. DC 25-27ish Reflex avoids. If anyone takes damage from this attack, they are knocked back 1d6 squares.

3) "By fire be purged": Ragnaros may use Fireball as a spell-like ability. However, he may only target targets more than 30 ft away. CL 15.

4)Sons of Ragnaros: Every 1d4 minutes, ragnaros may submerge into the magma around him, and spawn 1d4+2 Sons of Ragnaros (Basically huge fire elementals with a mana drain aura... they drain levels of prepared spells on each sucessful melee atacks.

Ragnaros isn't exactly a hard fight, the thing about WoW is that you just have to be geared up for it. Also, the encounter is only possible with 40 people at max level, who all have items that put them at an effective level of 70, over the 60 level cap.

In DnD terms, this means that Ragnaros is somewhere around a 25-30 CR encounter. He's also a God.

I'm driving to North Carolina this weekend, so I can stat this bad boy out on Sunday. I'll need some revision though, because I don't know Epic/Divine all that well.

BelkarsDagger
2006-09-15, 01:50 PM
The boss.

And I was about to say the God of Fire, but I wasnt sure if he actually was the god of fire when I wrote this.

I like the abilities there too, Legoman.

Bump

And If anyone is up to the challenge, you could also stat out other things in the dungeon if you like.

GolemsVoice
2006-09-15, 01:54 PM
Ragnaros is not the GOD of fire, but the Titan tied to that element.

BelkarsDagger
2006-09-16, 01:57 AM
...anyone feel up to this? Besides Legoman? I dont care how many people make their own versions, the more the merrier, actually.

Lord_Arkaine
2006-09-16, 02:08 AM
Ragnaros is not the GOD of fire, but the Titan tied to that element.

Titan is a class of giant. I think you mean Prince. He's in fact an elemental lord, so ranking him as one is fine.

Also, Ragnaros that you fight in WoW is not Ragnaros. He is in fact an incarnation of the great Ragnaros. In D&D terms, he's the Avatar of a god, not the god itself.

Gralamin
2006-09-16, 02:12 AM
Titan is a class of giant. I think you mean Prince. He's in fact an elemental lord, so ranking him as one is fine.

Also, Ragnaros that you fight in WoW is not Ragnaros. He is in fact an incarnation of the great Ragnaros. In D&D terms, he's the Avatar of a god, not the god itself.

I believe he actually is a lieutenant to the old gods, who were themesleves elementals.
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/story/chapter1.html

I think he was statted out in WOW D20

Legoman
2006-09-16, 05:11 PM
Ragnaros
Colossal Elemental (Fire, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 65d8 +1625 (1917 hp)
Initiative:
Speed: 50ft, though generally stationary.
Armor Class: 49 (-8 size, -1 Dex +48 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +48/+75

Attack: Sulfras, Hand of Ragnaros +55 (2d10 + 21 + 1d6 Fire + Extra Fire Damage [See Artifact Description] 19-20/x2) melee

Full Attack: Sulfras, Hand of Ragnaros +55/+50/+45/+40 (See Artifact Description)

Space/Reach: 30 ft./30 ft.
Special Attacks: Molten Skin, flame Wave, Purging Fire, Sons of Ragnaros.
Special Qualities: Elemental traits, DR 10/-, SR 42, fire immunity, cold vulnerability
Saves: Fort +32, Ref +50, Will +28
Abilities: Str 32, Dex 8, Con 60, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 13
Skills: Jump +19, Listen +48, Spot +57
Feats:

Epic Feats:

Organization: Unique
Challenge Rating: 45

Treasure: Carried Equipment:

Sulfras, Hand of Ragnaros: (Major Artifact)
Sulfras, Hand of Ragnaros magically changes size to fit it's wielder, becoming an appropriately sized Heavy Mace. The base damage of Sulfras changes according to it's size:

S: 1d6
M: 1d8
L: 1d10
H: 1d12
G: 2d8
C: 2d10

Otherwise, Sulfras functions as a +5 Flaming Flaming Burst Crushing Volcanic Heavy Mace

Property: Crushing
The Bludgeoning Weapon's critical threat range is increased by one step. (In this case, to 19-20)

Property: Volcanic
Whenever a sucessful hit is scored with Sulfras, Hand of Ragnaros, roll 1d%, and add fire damage according to the following table:

01-05: No additional fire damage.
06-50: 1d6 Fire Damage
51-60: 2d6 Fire Damage
61-70: 3d6 Fire Damage
71-80: 4d6 Fire Damage
81-90: 5d6 Fire Damage
91-96: 30 Fire Damage
97-00: Roll again Twice.

Additionally, Sulfras has the following special abilities:

Whevenever Time Stop is sucessfully cast within 100 ft/ Point of the Bearer's constitution modifier (In Ragnaros's Case, 1500 ft.), Sulfras automatically casts Time Stop on the bearer to enter the same time stream.

After a sucessful melee attack, but before damage is rolled, the bearer may take a swift action to add an additional 5d6 fire damage to the attack. This ability is usable up to 1/Day per point of the bearer's Con mod. (In Ragnaros' Case, 15/Day)

Alignment: Chaotic Evill
Advancement: 65-288 HD (Colossal)

Molten Skin (Ex)
Every time Ragnaros is struck by a melee weapon, the weapon used to strike him takes 3d6 points of Fire damage.

Flame Wave (Su)[b]
Every 1d8 Rounds, Ragnaros may, as a move equivalent action, create a burst of flame that affects all creatures whose squares he threatens. DC 45 Half damage. All creatures who fail their saves are also knocked back 1d6 squares. Abilities such as Evasion and Improved Evasion cannot negate this knockback.

[b] Purging Fire (Sp)

Ragnaros may use Fireball as a spell-like ability. However, he may only target at a range greater than 30 ft. He uses this ability at a caster level of 15. The save for this SLA, unlike fireball, is constitution based. (DC 28 ref, half)

In addition, anyone taking damage from this effect is moved in a random direction 1d3 squares, and takes a -4 penalty to all concentration checks until Ragnaros' Next turn.

Sons of Ragnaros (Su)
Every 1d4 Minutes, Ragnaros may submerge into the magma around him, and spawn 1d4+2 Huge Fire Elementals in any square he threatens, with the following additions:

Spell-Burn: (Su) As a Standard Action, a Son of Ragnaros may cause all spellcasters around them to lose 10 prepared spell levels, or daily spell slots totalling 10 spell levels, whichever appropriate. If the spellcaster can cast epic spells, the caster loses one epic spell slot. Will save DC 50 Negates.

Still needs feats.

This is my first epic monster, critique is good.

BelkarsDagger
2006-09-16, 07:31 PM
Ragnaros
Colossal Elemental (Fire, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 65d8 +1625 (1917 hp)
Initiative:
Speed: 50ft, though generally stationary.
Armor Class: 49 (-8 size, -1 Dex +48 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +48/+75

Attack: Sulfras, Hand of Ragnaros +55 (2d10 + 21 + 1d6 Fire + Extra Fire Damage [See Artifact Description] 19-20/x2) melee

Full Attack: Sulfras, Hand of Ragnaros +55/+50/+45/+40 (See Artifact Description)

Space/Reach: 30 ft./30 ft.
Special Attacks: Molten Skin, flame Wave, Purging Fire, Sons of Ragnaros.
Special Qualities: Elemental traits, DR 10/-, SR 42, fire immunity, cold vulnerability
Saves: Fort +32, Ref +50, Will +28
Abilities: Str 32, Dex 8, Con 60, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 13
Skills: Jump +19, Listen +48, Spot +57
Feats:

Epic Feats:

Organization: Unique
Challenge Rating: 45

Treasure: Carried Equipment:

Sulfras, Hand of Ragnaros: (Major Artifact)
Sulfras, Hand of Ragnaros magically changes size to fit it's wielder, becoming an appropriately sized Heavy Mace. The base damage of Sulfras changes according to it's size:

S: 1d6
M: 1d8
L: 1d10
H: 1d12
G: 2d8
C: 2d10

Otherwise, Sulfras functions as a +5 Flaming Flaming Burst Crushing Volcanic Heavy Mace

Property: Crushing
The Bludgeoning Weapon's critical threat range is increased by one step. (In this case, to 19-20)

Property: Volcanic
Whenever a sucessful hit is scored with Sulfras, Hand of Ragnaros, roll 1d%, and add fire damage according to the following table:

01-05: No additional fire damage.
06-50: 1d6 Fire Damage
51-60: 2d6 Fire Damage
61-70: 3d6 Fire Damage
71-80: 4d6 Fire Damage
81-90: 5d6 Fire Damage
91-96: 30 Fire Damage
97-00: Roll again Twice.

Additionally, Sulfras has the following special abilities:

Whevenever Time Stop is sucessfully cast within 100 ft/ Point of the Bearer's constitution modifier (In Ragnaros's Case, 1500 ft.), Sulfras automatically casts Time Stop on the bearer to enter the same time stream.

After a sucessful melee attack, but before damage is rolled, the bearer may take a swift action to add an additional 5d6 fire damage to the attack. This ability is usable up to 1/Day per point of the bearer's Con mod. (In Ragnaros' Case, 15/Day)

Alignment: Chaotic Evill
Advancement: 65-288 HD (Colossal)

Molten Skin (Ex)
Every time Ragnaros is struck by a melee weapon, the weapon used to strike him takes 3d6 points of Fire damage.

Flame Wave (Su)
Every 1d8 Rounds, Ragnaros may, as a move equivalent action, create a burst of flame that affects all creatures whose squares he threatens. DC 45 Half damage. All creatures who fail their saves are also knocked back 1d6 squares. Abilities such as Evasion and Improved Evasion cannot negate this knockback.

Purging Fire (Sp)

Ragnaros may use Fireball as a spell-like ability. However, he may only target at a range greater than 30 ft. He uses this ability at a caster level of 15. The save for this SLA, unlike fireball, is constitution based. (DC 28 ref, half)

In addition, anyone taking damage from this effect is moved in a random direction 1d3 squares, and takes a -4 penalty to all concentration checks until Ragnaros' Next turn.

Sons of Ragnaros (Su)
Every 1d4 Minutes, Ragnaros may submerge into the magma around him, and spawn 1d4+2 Huge Fire Elementals in any square he threatens, with the following additions:

Spell-Burn: (Su) As a Standard Action, a Son of Ragnaros may cause all spellcasters around them to lose 10 prepared spell levels, or daily spell slots totalling 10 spell levels, whichever appropriate. If the spellcaster can cast epic spells, the caster loses one epic spell slot. Will save DC 50 Negates.

Still needs feats.

This is my first epic monster, critique is good.

;D

I like it. The Hand of Ragnaros might be a tad overpowered, but I think it's like the most powerful mace in WoW so far... /shrug.

The spellburn also seems a bit much, but also, meh. It's frickin' CR 45. Overpoweredness is to be expected.

He also needs an Initiative entry, it was left blank.

Overall; I'd rate it a 9.5 out of 10.

If anyone else also feels like statting this beast out, go for it. I like a variety.

Legoman
2006-09-16, 11:36 PM
No initiative because I haven't given him feats yet. He gets 12 feats and 12 epic feats. Improved initiative in all of it's flavors are expected.

The thing about Ragnaros in WoW, as well as this guy, is that a little bit of foresight goes a long way.

Hell, Fire Resistance 40 effectively means you can do whatever you want to him. Craft some armor with insane FR, and you'll do fine.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-09-17, 12:03 AM
How much damage does this Flame Wave do?

Closet_Skeleton
2006-09-17, 10:14 AM
A Warcraft d20 book called Shadows and Light statted out Ragnaros. They made him a 64 HD collosal fire elemental. He can summon a fountain of lava twice a day and then do groovy stuff with it such as fully restoring health and smothering people in Lava rivers. He can attack anyone near the lava, giving him an effective 100 ft. reach with his slam attacks. He doesn't have a mace though and might not be that close to the WoW version. Yours would probably work fine. I'd use the version I have on hand in a printed book.

Legoman
2006-09-17, 03:42 PM
What was his CR in that book?

I'm pretty sure I have the CR too high on this guy, you shouldn't need to be epic to kill him, just uber prepared.