PDA

View Full Version : How to get between layers of Baator?

Frosty
2009-02-20, 01:16 AM
Does it say anywhere in the Book of Vile Darkness or the Fiendish Codex II on the methods to move between the different layers of the 9 hells? I know you can only Plane Shift to Avernus, the first layer, and then you have to find other means of getting to the lower layers. In the FC I, there were a few specific portals mentioned like the maze thing in Malcanthet's domain that leads to a portal to the Infinite Staircase thing, but I can't seem to locate information like that for the 9 hells.

arguskos
2009-02-20, 01:44 AM
I believe there are passages between the layers, mostly thanks to the fact that the Styx runs through all the levels, terminating in the fall from Cania to Nessus.

I also know that the walkway between Avernus and Dis exists still. It's just a ramp or somesuch.

Beyond that, can't help much, sorry. :smallfrown:

PrGo
2009-02-20, 02:15 AM
Between Avernus and Dis is some sort of passage that is guarded by Tiamat.
And Nessus can be accessed trough Mephistar* on Cania.

*Mephistopheles' castle.

Frosty
2009-02-20, 02:22 AM
Between Avernus and Dis is some sort of passage that is guarded by Tiamat.
And Nessus can be accessed trough Mephistar* on Cania.

*Mephistopheles' castle.

Do you know what page this is on in the FC2 or BoVD?

Mikeavelli
2009-02-20, 02:28 AM
Most of the Baator fluff was spelled out in the 2nd edition Planescape books and modules. I don't think they ever went into that sort of detail in 3rd edition.

Suffice it to say any travel between the layers is accomplished through the use of a Plot device or plot gateway, the specifics of which are entirely up to the DM to decide.

Narmoth
2009-02-20, 02:51 AM
The devils move the souls from the reception on the first layer to lower layers. Therefore, there has to be some sort of transport that accommodates carriages with harvested souls between the layers. But I can't find an accurate description of the either.
Since Bators layer-structure seems to be inspired by Dante's Inferno, you could adopt how it was made there. In Dante's Inferno they traveled by tunnels from one layer to the next

Frosty
2009-02-20, 03:35 AM
Most of the Baator fluff was spelled out in the 2nd edition Planescape books and modules. I don't think they ever went into that sort of detail in 3rd edition.

Suffice it to say any travel between the layers is accomplished through the use of a Plot device or plot gateway, the specifics of which are entirely up to the DM to decide.

Do you think that the entrance to the gateways/portals would relocate itself every now and then? Longtime denizens of the plane get a feel of where the portal will appear next, but adventurers coming in are confused and must ask around or search for it.

bosssmiley
2009-02-20, 11:13 AM
Generally the best way to get between layers of Baator is to make for that big honkin' pit in the middle of the layer...

See either Dante's "Inferno" or Planescape "Planes of Law" for more.

KillianHawkeye
2009-02-20, 11:40 AM
I think there was some information about this in the old Manual of the Planes. All of the fluff in that book is still good in 3.5 games.

Frosty
2009-02-20, 10:13 PM
Generally the best way to get between layers of Baator is to make for that big honkin' pit in the middle of the layer...

See either Dante's "Inferno" or Planescape "Planes of Law" for more.

Is "Planes of Law" a novel? :smallsmile:

A big pit eh? Are you saying in every layer oin the middle is just a hole that anyone can just jump down and reach the next layer? That would make the 9 layers all on the same plane technically and make tekleportation between layers possibles, which it isn't. I guess they're just portals of some sort then.

magic9mushroom
2009-02-21, 01:43 PM
Is "Planes of Law" a novel? :smallsmile:

A big pit eh? Are you saying in every layer oin the middle is just a hole that anyone can just jump down and reach the next layer? That would make the 9 layers all on the same plane technically and make tekleportation between layers possibles, which it isn't. I guess they're just portals of some sort then.

They all are on the same plane. They're warded against teleportation though for Blood War and other reasons. The following is from Tyrants of the Nine Hells:

The nine layers of Baator are arranged atop one another
in a funnel-shaped stack, with the largest layer (Avernus)
on top, and the smallest (Nessus) on the bottom.
Diabolical scholars speculate that the layers exist in a
featureless void of pure law and malice, but such an
outer region is undetectable from anywhere within Baator.
Each of the layers has its own sky, through which the layer
above (if any) can be seen as a dim and distant shadow. Access
points, such as the cascading River Styx between Cania and
Nessus, are sometimes visible, but otherwise each layer functions
independently of the rest and even has its own unique
climate conditions. In fact, most exhibit strange magical
weather effects that make the most extreme Material Plane
weather conditions seem mild by comparison.

Frosty
2009-02-22, 12:40 AM
Ahh I see. Thanks. Well, I guess I'm off to make up different access points and figure out how devils guard them.