PDA

View Full Version : Most arcane mystic theurge

dspeyer
2009-02-20, 01:32 AM
We've all seen the precocious apprentice build that lets a mystic theurge have only one level that doesn't advance divine spellcasting. What's the way to minimize non-arcane levels?

There's ur-priest 2 and apostle of peace 2, but those require you to be evil and pacifist respectively. I think there's rainbow servant 1 / any divine 1 because rainbow servant specifies a divine focus for domain spells, suggesting they're divine. Flavorwise, I would expect divine oracle 1 / any divine 1 to work, but it never actually says that oracle domain spells are divine for an arcane base-caster and the default is arcane.

Can anyone do better?

Ascension
2009-02-20, 01:58 AM
There's ur-priest 2 and apostle of peace 2, but those require you to be evil and pacifist respectively.

Can I just say that an evil pacifist would be an amazing sight to see?

"I'm not gonna hurt your body... because it's so much more fun to see you suffer mentally and emotionally. I'm going to break you without even touching you, and there's not a damn thing you can do to stop me."

Zaq
2009-02-20, 02:06 AM
I've always said that most Enchantment spells deserve the [Evil] tag. Hell, from a fluff perspective, can't you just imagine an evil Enchanter who enjoys hitting captives with Crushing Despair and then just taunting them?

For the OP, I don't really know any better ways to get fast divine casting. Chameleon can do it, except it explicitly doesn't qualify for prereqs, so that doesn't help unless you have a very lenient GM.

Keld Denar
2009-02-20, 02:09 AM
Spells added to an arcane spell list by a domain are always considered arcane spells. Thus, a wizard5/DO1 would not qualify for MT.

About the best you can get with Mystic Theurge is something like Savage Bard8/Urpriest2/SublimeChord2/MysticTheurge8. Full 9th level arcane and divine casting.

Anyway, MT is junk. It has absolutely nothing other than full casting. Better for splicing classes together would be Arcane Heirophant or Ultimate Magus respectively. At least they get other features...

Regardless, most splice classes are crappy with very few exceptions.

Tengu_temp
2009-02-20, 02:11 AM
I've always said that most Enchantment spells deserve the [Evil] tag. Hell, from a fluff perspective, can't you just imagine an evil Enchanter who enjoys hitting captives with Crushing Despair and then just taunting them?

"These are not the droids you are looking for."

Yeah, very evil.

JeminiZero
2009-02-20, 02:34 AM
I believe the easiest way to get into MT using only 1 level of divine spellcasting relies on the Alternate Source Spell feat from one of the Dragon Magazines.

Basically, you can prepare your level 2 arcane spells as level 2 divine spells, so in that way you *can* cast both level 2 arcane and divine spells.

Wih
2009-02-20, 03:50 AM
Illumian is the earliest entry IIRC to fast dual-progression, with one word combination's specific feat letting you boost the effective spell level of 2 spells by 1 each, letting you cast 2nd level divine and arcane spells at 2nd level. Then it's just down to skill ranks.