PDA

View Full Version : Wild Fusion feat?[Homebrew] [3.5 D&D]

Velden
2009-02-20, 10:23 AM
A druid player asked if it is possible to join himself with his animal companion, a fusion. [Like nightwolf used to do with his wolf in the Mortal Kombat animated series].

I told him that it would be possible only if the druid spends hours meditating with his wolf and when he gets the chance to choose a feat, then he would gain the ability as a wild feat. He agreed.
The problem now is to design in game terms what the feat does. He wanted to gain +4 str +4 con + 4 dex, a second attack and be able to both attack and casts spells in the same round and as a drawback, when the effect ends, he recieves a -8 to all the physical atributes. I think thatīs too much or doesnīt make sense.

ŋIdeas, suggestions, comments?

Risek
2009-02-20, 11:15 AM
I agree, that doesn't make sense.
And what exactly to you mean by join?
As in bodily, or mentally?

Bodily I'd grant scent, +10 ft speed, bite attack and trip. Maybe a +2 to strength.
Mentally....I dunno. Maybe trip or Improved Trip, +2 wisdom (?), maybe scent.

Cubey
2009-02-20, 11:27 AM
I'd tell him no. The feat he proposed is definitely overpowered. Fusing yourself with your animal companion makes no sense in DnD, never happened before, and Mortal Kombat is not Forgotten Realms.

Prime32
2009-02-20, 12:26 PM
Find some spell that does what he wants (such as bite of the were<blank> from Spell Compendium), and let him take a feat which automatically extends that spell if he loses his animal companion for the duration.

Taking the Dragontouched (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Dragontouched_,all) and Draconic Claw (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Draconic_Claw,all) feats would let him cast spells and attack in the same turn.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-02-20, 12:34 PM
There's the fusion power in the psionics handbook.

PinkysBrain
2009-02-20, 12:37 PM
ŋIdeas, suggestions, comments?
If he didn't want to stack this on one of the most overpowered classes in the game there would be some room to manoeuvre ... but since he does things get hard. I'd have little problem with what he wants on a ranger.

Prime32
2009-02-20, 01:09 PM
Maybe this is the wrong way to look at it.

Play a shifter and use the substitution levels in Races of Eberron to trade your animal companion for a "beast spirit". When you wildshape, you are merging with your animal companion. When you cast summon nature's ally, you are de-fusing.

Draz74
2009-02-20, 01:31 PM
The problem now is to design in game terms what the feat does. He wanted to gain +4 str +4 con + 4 dex, a second attack and be able to both attack and casts spells in the same round and as a drawback, when the effect ends, he recieves a -8 to all the physical atributes. I think thatīs too much or doesnīt make sense.

That's the troublesome part. The main drawback of this ability should be that he no longer gets two sets of actions per round, like he did when he had a separate Animal Companion.

Replace the bolded part with some other special ability (the animal's special abilities like Scent or Trip, maybe?) and what he's saying should actually be fine, more or less.

Velden
2009-02-20, 02:16 PM
Thanks for posting your comments.

What Iīm thinking is on something like Risek and Draz7 suggested. The druid joins himself with the wolf (the wolf dissapears and becomes one with the druid.) He would gain an additional bite attack and all the extraordinary abilities of the wolf.
Also he gains the str/dex/natural armor bonuses granted to animal companions according to druid levels. He gains temporary hit points equal to 2* Animal compannionīs bonus HD. (a 6th level druid would gain +2 str/dex,+4 natural armor and +8 HP)
The duration is wis mod+1 rounds and can only be used once per encounter, after that the animal companion appears in a random location, up to 30 feet around the druid, fatigued until the end of the encounter. If the druid chooses to end the effect before, he can choose where his animal companion appears. He canīt use this ability if he or his animal companion are already fatigued or similar condition.
If the druid receives damage while having less than half his total Hit Points, he must make a concentration check,DC 10+Damage taken, if he fails the effect ends as if the duration expired.
While in this form, the druidīs DC for casting defensively is 20 plus the spell level.
Using this feat requires a full-round action, it is a supernatural ability and is considered the same as spending two uses of wildshape.

The benefits are:
-Gains an additional bite attack
-More abilities, like scent, trip and evasion.
-Improved atributes and armor according to druid levels.

The drawbacks:
-Loses the advantage of using two characters at the same time.
-Little duration, and after that the animal companion is fatigued and exposed to danger if not canceled on time.
-Requires two uses of wild shape. Which would make one think twice before using it.