PDA

View Full Version : Horror Game Ideas

Manticorkscrew
2009-02-20, 05:38 PM
I'm going to be running a horror game for a few of my friends. I remembered that there used to be a thread on these boards that had some really interesting (scary) ideas for little details to create atmosphere and build up the tension. Sadly, I can't seem to find it now.

Please, if anyone could give me a link back to the thread, or to similar threads on this or some other board, or if you could chip in with some ideas of your own, that would be a big help. Thank you.

I've already decided the basic plot of the game. The original pitch was something like "what if there were mutants like in X-men in a WoD-like setting"- 'Mutant: the Aberration'... or something like that. The idea came from one of my friends' observation that the Marvel Universe is already a rather dark and depressing place and if you took out all the sillier stuff it could be quite horrible. As soon as I heard that I decided that I HAD to run that game.

Anyway, the plotline I have in mind is: a group of friends go on holiday to a seaside town. It starts off really nice and sunny but things gradually get strange, dark and surreal. The town shifts and changes around. People disappear and nobody but the PCs seem to notice. Monsters start to appear; they're people that have been twisted into bizarre new forms. And the town gets stranger and stranger until it's almost like Mirrormask or something. Obviously there's a simple explanation- the town is at the mercy of an utterly insane Reality Warper. The PCs have some resistance to his powers because they have psychic powers of their own.

I just need some ideas for weird (horrific?) things to happen to build up the atmosphere and show how the town descends into madness and horror.

Can anyone help?

Myou
2009-02-20, 08:14 PM
I suggest you use the manga, Uzumaki, a horror about how an entire seaside town slowly descends into madness and horror. You can probably borrow it online or something like that. I really think it's exaclty what you're looking for, it's full of great stuff you can do and fits perfectly.

MammonAzrael
2009-02-20, 08:34 PM
Uzumaki isn't bad, and could give you some great ideas. Some chapters are much better than others.

I would also suggest checking out the D&D splatbook Heroes of Horror. Even if this isn't a D&D game (sounds like your planning on WoD?), it has a lot of stuff devoted to creating atmosphere.

This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105084)might have some ideas you like.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-02-20, 08:41 PM
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59107&page=1) detailed a very well done horror campaign. You might want to give it a look over for inspiration.

MisterSaturnine
2009-02-20, 09:06 PM
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59107&page=1) detailed a very well done horror campaign. You might want to give it a look over for inspiration.

It is also likely the single coolest thread started anywhere, ever, and generally just a great story. I second Mushroom Ninja's recommendation.

Manticorkscrew
2009-02-20, 09:20 PM
I've seen SilverClawShift's horror campaign thread before. It's a brilliant read, my favourite AAR ever, but it's not what I'm looking for at the moment.

I suppose I can use it as a yardstick to measure up my own campaign and if mine is so much as a quarter as good as that then I'll be well satisfied.

I'll give Uzamaki and Heroes of Horror a look (if I can get hold of them).

Thanks for the help, guys.

Thurbane
2009-02-20, 11:12 PM
I suggest you use the manga, Uzumaki, a horror about how an entire seaside town slowly descends into madness and horror. You can probably borrow it online or something like that. I really think it's exaclty what you're looking for, it's full of great stuff you can do and fits perfectly.
Sounds a bit like The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

jamroar
2009-02-21, 12:30 AM
Sounds a bit like The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

More Color out of Space than either. But yes, a lot of a Junji Ito's stuff is very Lovecrafty in tone.