PDA

View Full Version : Spring Golem

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-08-18, 11:42 PM
Size/Type: Large Construct
Hit Dice: 11d10+30 (90)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 50ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 21 (-1 size, -1 Dex, +13 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+22
Attack: Slam +17 Melee (2d8+10 plus launching slam)
Full Attack: Slam +17 Melee
Space/Reach: 10ft./10ft.
Special Attacks: Slam, spring barage, launching slam, extending limbs, pounce
Special Qualities: Construct traits, damage reduction 10/adamantine, darkvision 60ft., immunity to magic, low-light vision, rebound blows, blungeoning resistance 15
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +3
Abilities: Str 31, Dex 9, Con --, Int --, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: Jump +20
Feats: Mantis Leap (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Mantis_Leap,SF)
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or gang (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: None
Alignment: Alsays Neutral
Advancement: 12-18 HD (Large) 20-27 HD (Huge)
LA: --

Spring Golems are made from springs. The torso and head of a spring golem are made of many small springs, pressed tightly againgst a steel core and held in place by magic. The arms and legs of the golem are each made from one long spring.

Spring Barage (Ex): When a spring golem is destroyed, the magic pressing the springs to the core at the torso and head of the golem disipates and the springs fly outward from the core. Creatures adjecent to the golem take 5d6 points of damage with no save as the springs hit them and pierce their skin, while other creatures within a 15 ft. radius are allowed a Reflex save DC 20 for half damage.

Launching Slam (Ex): When a spring golem hits with its slame attack, the target must make an opposed Strength check versus the golems Strength or be launched back 5 ft. and fall prone. The golems recieves a +4 bonus to this check.

Extending Limbs (Ex): A spring golem may stretch out his limbs when making a slam attack. This allows him to strike creatures up to 5 ft. out of his reach for half damage. Launching Slam is not applied to attacks made this way.

Pounce: If a spring golem charges it can make a full attack

Immunity to Magic (Ex): A spring golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

A magical attack that deals electricity damage slows a spring golem (as the slow spell) for 3 rounds, with no saving throw.

A magical attack that deals fire damage breaks any slow effect on the golem and heals 1 point of damage for each 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points. A spring golem receives no saving throw against fire effects.

An spring golem is affected normally by rust attacks, such as that of a rust monster or a rusting grasp spell.

Rebound Blows (Ex): Any creature who hits a spring golem with a melee attack must make a DC 15 Strength check or take damage equal to the damage dice for the weapon used to make the attack as the weapon rebounds off of the golem back at the attacker.

Bludgeoning Resistence (Ex): This ability functions like DR10/-, but is only applied to bludgeoning damage.

Skills: Spring golems receive a +10 racial bonus on jump checks
This is what I've got so far. I could really use some help with the challenge rating and construction. I think I have everything else.

olelia
2006-08-19, 12:11 AM
Spring Barage (Ex): When a spring golem is destroyed, the magic pressing the springs to the core at the torso and head of the golem disipates and the spring are released and fly outward from the core. Creatures adjecent to the golem take 5d6 points of damage as the spring hit them and pierce their skin, while other creatures within a 15 ft. radius are allowed a Reflex save DC 20 for half damage.

Launching Slam (Ex): When a spring golem hits with its slame attack, the target must make an opposed Strength check versus the golems Strength or be launched back 5 ft. and fall prone. The golems recieves a +4 bonus to this check.

Ok, the spring barrage could you clarify this for me? Are you saying that creatures adjacent to it when it dies take 5d6 damage no save? If not then shouldnt it be rephrased differently? Side note, shouldn't it be springS hit them? Ok, the launching slam. Assuming your using D&D core rules, shouldn't it be an opposed bull rush attempt instead of a Strength check? Sorry if I'm sounding a little harsh...first post...first try at doing critisism :-[

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-08-19, 12:23 AM
Yes, I should have specified that adjecent creatures recieved no saving throw and that they are hit by multiple springs, and I have edited it to say so.

No, It's not an opposed bull rush, its a different type of attack, similar to the effects of the Awesome Blow feat.

Also, your post sounded fine to me.

chaiyo
2006-08-20, 01:21 PM
OK, I can see you've been doing your reading in the Monster Manual, and you've done a good job with the stat block and a great job with the description and stuff. There are but a few errors in the stats, though.

First of all, you forgot about both penalties in the armor class. It should be 26.

Second, you forgot about size penalties to attack bonus.

Last, Constructs have no good saves, so Fort should be +3, Reflex should be +2, and Will should be +3.

Now, let's see Challenge Rating.

By the Hit Dice, it sounds like it should be from CR 4 (not likely) to CR 7, or maybe one or two higher. By Armor Class, it should be about 13 unless you intend the Spring Golem to be really hard to hit. By attack bonus, it should be about CR 9. I'd say that if the Armor Class was lowered to allow moderate ability to hit for a suitable party, CR seven or eight. If not, CR nine or ten.

Also, I would suggest that you put Launching Slam into the damage entry for Slam attacks. Just a thought.

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-08-20, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the help. I don't know what I was thinking when I put down the saves, I knew what they should be. Also, thank you for help with the challenge rating. I had no idea how that should be calculated. Do you have a link to so sort of guide or something?

Prometheus
2006-08-20, 11:24 PM
Most of the time I just compare it to a similar creatures and creatures of the CRs you think you will use (maybe Iron Golems?).

If you really want to be sure, test it against things of equal CR, and it should win about 50-50, and make sure a party of four x-level NPCs can take it down with trouble, but not too much.

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-08-20, 11:41 PM
I'll have to try those methods. Thanks.

Spasticteapot
2006-08-21, 01:49 PM
Just an idea:
Seeing as how the spring golem is made from bouncy materials, should'nt he have a massive damage reduction against blunt weapons?

I'd also think that fire effects might not be so ineffective. I mean, a blowtorch works just fine on spring steel.

martyboy74
2006-08-21, 01:53 PM
Just an idea:
Seeing as how the spring golem is made from bouncy materials, should'nt he have a massive damage reduction against blunt weapons?

I'd also think that fire effects might not be so ineffective. I mean, a blowtorch works just fine on spring steel.
They only really spring in one way. Think of it like a slinky.

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-08-22, 11:55 AM
Just an idea:
Seeing as how the spring golem is made from bouncy materials, should'nt he have a massive damage reduction against blunt weapons? Thats a good idea. I'll have to add something like that.

I'd also think that fire effects might not be so ineffective. I mean, a blowtorch works just fine on spring steel. I didn't know for sure what to put, since most golems have something like it. It seemed like it would be closest to an iron golem as far as what materials it's made of, so I just gave it the same ability. I might have to try and think of something to replace it with, though.

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-09-14, 10:58 PM
I've decided that its time I finished this monster. How does Craft (trapmaking) sound for the construction skill? I figure springs are probably used a lot in trap mechanisms, and thats the closest things that I can find. I still need to determine cost, too. Can anyone help with that?

LordOfNarf
2006-09-14, 11:07 PM

A wizard did it.

Seriously though, good monster, but i suggest giving it a racial bonus to jump, since a spring thing is going to have massive bounding ability, and also pounce as a special attack and mantis leap as a bonus feat. that al should bump its CR up to being aroud 10-12ish, barrign any other changes. I think, if someone copuld check that again for me, it'd be a real help.

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-09-14, 11:10 PM
Thank you. I'd planned on giving it racial bonus to jump, but I guess I forgot. I'll add pounce, but I don't know what Mantis Leap does.

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-09-14, 11:32 PM
My friend has Sword and Fist, I can look it up next time I'm over there.

LordOfNarf
2006-09-14, 11:37 PM
Ok, I'll take the desccription of the feat off the post, so that it doseen't violate anything.

[edit] post deleted

Jackstu_the_yummy
2006-09-16, 05:42 PM
also ithink that you should have the advanced damage for larger size catagories and the spell imunities that all golems have and i was wondering :-[ uhhh i was wondering if you could decapatate a golem and can you dispell the enchantment on one ??? or can you damage it??

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-09-16, 06:25 PM
There isn't any advanced damage for larger sizes. There are attack penalties and stuff, but I've included them. I also have magic immunity listed.

To answer your questions, no, you can't decapitate a golem, they don't need their heads to live. Yes, you can damage a golem. It's just harder since most of them have damage reduction. As for dispelling them, I don't really know for sure. Someone will, though.