PDA

View Full Version : Epic Destinies

guncici
2009-02-20, 09:17 PM
It seems to me that The Giant is choosing Epic Destinies for the OOTS group, I don’t know 3.5 very well but it seems that these might follow:

Belkar – Deadly Trickster (4e)
V – A demon wizard or something

Post me your thoughts

Optimystik
2009-02-20, 09:42 PM
I think Epic Destinies are 4e, and require the character to be 20+ level to boot. OotS is 3.5e and the protagonists are around levels 13-14.

He might end up giving them shiny prestige classes (with the exception of Roy, natch) but epic levels are highly unlikely as that would make Xykon a pushover.

Kish
2009-02-20, 09:55 PM
Epic Destinies are a purely 4ed concept. It's not impossible that Rich likes the concept well enough to incorporate it, but that shouldn't be assumed by default.

Mando Knight
2009-02-20, 09:57 PM
I think Epic Destinies are 4e, and require the character to be 20+ level to boot. OotS is 3.5e and the protagonists are around levels 13-14.

He might end up giving them shiny prestige classes (with the exception of Roy, natch) but epic levels are highly unlikely as that would make Xykon a pushover.

When WotC gave us the preview for 4E's Epic Destinies, they provided a little sidebar or something in the article for adapting the concept to 3.5...

Optimystik
2009-02-20, 10:10 PM
When WotC gave us the preview for 4E's Epic Destinies, they provided a little sidebar or something in the article for adapting the concept to 3.5...

Really? I'd like to read that. Got the link?

Even so, I still think it unlikely that Rich would adopt a 4e character progression concept, even a 'convertible' one.

guncici
2009-02-21, 12:06 AM
Well I dont know what I saw, but once when I was in an book store I saw a book for epic classes (level 21-30) for 3.5. Didn't get a chance to look much so I thought that the epic destinies came from that.

Edit: Looked it up and it seems that it was only an Epic Level Handbook.

Shades of Gray
2009-02-21, 12:29 AM
3.5 Epic Destinies (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080428)

Enjoy all.

Innis Cabal
2009-02-21, 12:59 AM
They are PrC's and roleplay functions, nothing more, nothing less.

AgentPaper
2009-02-21, 01:23 AM
Would love to see Belkar, or anyone really, get the Dark Wanderer destiny.

*Belkar fights an epic battle, and loses*
"Noo! Belkar!"
*grieving*
next day:
"Hey guys, I'm back!"
"What?! How?!"
"I walked!"

:smalltongue:

Also, OotS is not 3.5. Rich specifically stated that the OotS world was a hybrid between the two, taking whichever parts he liked best, and making fun of the rules of all. That said, most of the world is 3.5 based, since that's all there was for a good bit of it, but epic is as of yet unexplored, and I wouldn't be surprised if rich chose 4E style epic over 3.5. Not that elements of both won't ultimately be in there, of course. Story and funny are the #1 and 2 priorities, in any case.

Dixieboy
2009-02-21, 01:44 AM
No demon wizards in 4th ed

If he was to become anything it would obviously be archmage anyway :smallannoyed:

On a semi related note: Am i the only one who thinks the "Immortality?" Bit of the archmage is really, really lame?

Broler
2009-02-21, 04:07 PM
it would annoy me a lot if oots swapped to 4e :smallannoyed:

†Seer†
2009-02-21, 05:03 PM
it would annoy me a lot if oots swapped to 4e :smallannoyed:

Think Giant said he's not changing over because it's too new to make jokes and have people get 'em. Or something of that sort... I'm quoting from memory :P

Kish
2009-02-21, 05:14 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/index.html#UM7iOEJbez2GVntGYjh Scroll down to the May 20th entry.

Ancalagon
2009-02-21, 07:54 PM
The more I read about 4th, the more it seems to be a 15-year-olds (male!) dreams of unlimited and mindless power to be better than anyone else. :smallconfused:

The Minx
2009-02-21, 08:37 PM
No demon wizards in 4th ed

If he was to become anything it would obviously be archmage anyway :smallannoyed:

On a semi related note: Am i the only one who thinks the "Immortality?" Bit of the archmage is really, really lame?

OK, I've got to ask, seeing as I haven't got the relevant book...

What is the "Immortality" bit of the Archmage?

Shades of Gray
2009-02-21, 08:41 PM
The more I read about 4th, the more it seems to be a 15-year-olds (male!) dreams of unlimited and mindless power to be better than anyone else. :smallconfused:

Ummm... What? Check the epic rules for 3.5, it says the same thing. Heck, above level 15 in 3.5 is like that. Ditto for 4E's level 10.

Reluctance
2009-02-21, 09:14 PM

Basically you become some secluded wizard archetype, from the stereotypical tower to the equally stereotypical headmaster of a school of wizardry. At some point in the future your mastery of magic reaches the point where you transcend the mortal plane.

But then, the immortality bits of all the epic destinies are essentially "you retire". (Demigod being flashier than the others, but still.) It's not immortality in any game sense, but rather a cool way to retire your characters when they're at the top of their game.

The Minx
2009-02-21, 09:30 PM
Basically you become some secluded wizard archetype, from the stereotypical tower to the equally stereotypical headmaster of a school of wizardry. At some point in the future your mastery of magic reaches the point where you transcend the mortal plane.

But then, the immortality bits of all the epic destinies are essentially "you retire". (Demigod being flashier than the others, but still.) It's not immortality in any game sense, but rather a cool way to retire your characters when they're at the top of their game.

Ah, so it's a combination of a grand finale and graceful exit when no further achievements would be meaningful within the context of the game? In that case I approve. :smallsmile:

Yea, I have yet to get the 4th edition books, I was a bit put off by the things I head about the new edition. :/

magic9mushroom
2009-02-21, 11:53 PM
4e plays like a console RPG. Few of the very justified complexities of 3.x were kept. Also, healing surges, stuff that is "once per encounter", fighter moves that are limited-use. :smallyuk:

4e is player balanced, 3e makes sense. I know which I'd prefer.

The Minx
2009-02-22, 12:47 AM
4e plays like a console RPG. Few of the very justified complexities of 3.x were kept. Also, healing surges, stuff that is "once per encounter", fighter moves that are limited-use. :smallyuk:

4e is player balanced, 3e makes sense. I know which I'd prefer.

I don't really think 3e makes much sense, to be honest. :smallsmile:

Unless, you mean that it makes sense relatively speaking, which makes 4e even crazier. :smallbiggrin:

I agree about the healing surges. Can't they just be taken out? I still haven't decided whether to spend money on 4e and they don't have a proper SRD for it. :smallfrown:

RebelRogue
2009-02-22, 01:46 PM
Do we really need yet another edition war thread?

Kish
2009-02-22, 02:06 PM
I agree about the healing surges. Can't they just be taken out?
I would guess that that would seriously screw up the balance of the game.

And there must be as many edition war threads as there are stars in the sky...or threads which presume that OotS is 4ed or that 4ed concepts are universal D&D concepts.

Dixieboy
2009-02-23, 06:07 PM

You stop being a human and become a living spell!

Or as they say it "Join with the demi-spell" :smallfurious:

The Minx
2009-02-23, 08:27 PM
Do we really need yet another edition war thread?

It isn't an edition war thread (yet). As for myself, I was just being curious about 4e because I haven't gotten it yet. :smallsmile:

Ahem: so, yes: back on topic.

Redcloak's (potential) destiny:

From SoD:
:redcloak: : "Until one day, a goblin warlord arose who was not like the others of his clan. Born with violet skin, he was different. He had the Elite Array of ability scores. He had class levels. .... His real name has been lost to antiquity, because by the time he rose to power, he had abandoned it in favor of a unique title: The Dark One."

<snip snip snip>

:redcloak: : (speaking of the goblinoids now, following TDO's death) "Enraged with grief, the goblin army descended on the human kingdoms with an unquenchable thirst for vengeance. In one year, they killed over a million humans in retribution for the Dark One's murder before allied elf and dwarf armies brought the killing to an end for good. <snip snip snip (speaking of how demihumans can ascend to godhood) snip snip snip> Now, this horrific year of violence dedicated to a single man served to raise the Dark One's spirit too. He became a god - a pantheon of one."

So about Redcloak:

He too, has probably got the Elite array, or certainly better than the usual stats. He definitely has class levels.

He has abandoned his name in favor of a singular title: Redcloak. No-one is alive anymore who knows his real name.

He has united the goblinoids, or at least led armies of both goblins and hobgoblins at different times: he has transcended the racial barriers of goblinoids as a leader and as a visionary.

He has conquered/killed/driven out HALF a million humans.

Getting there... :smallsmile:

DragoonKain
2009-02-24, 04:42 AM
3.5e vs 4.0 is like a living incarnation of the Blood War. :smallfrown:

Obviously, we need beings representing 3.5, 4.0, and Chainmail to appear and end the feud once and for all.

jamroar
2009-02-24, 05:38 AM
Belkar – Deadly Trickster (4e)
V – A demon wizard or something

Elan and Nale - Demigods :smalltongue: (as avatars of Banjo and Giggles).

V'icternus
2009-03-19, 08:32 AM
Elan - "Ooh, Roy, look! I've gotten my Epic Destiny! I'm a demigod now!"

Roy - "...You?"

Elan - "Yeah!"

Roy - "No way you have the stats for that."

Elan - "What stats? There's no restrictions at all. I just reach Level 21 and Ding! Instant Demigodness!"

Roy - "That's... insane!"

Elan - "I've decided to become an Exarch..."

Roy - "Oh, don't tell me..."

Elan - "...of Banjo!"

Roy - "I said don't tell me."

Elan - "Fear our godly powers!"

Roy - "You do know that the bard class hasn't been officially released yet, right?"

Elan - "..."

*Pop*

*Elan turns into a Level 1, having to start over again as his chosen class doesn't exist yet*

Elan - "Psst, can I have some of your levels, Roy?"

Roy - "Elan, it doesn't work like th..."

Elan - "Pleeeeeease?"

Roy - "You're the demigod, just grant yourself the levels."

Elan - "What Epic Destiny did you take?"

Roy - "Well, due to the lack of the 'Lichslayer' option, I just went with demigod, too."

Elan - "You chose the same as me? You DO like me!"

Roy - "Elan, there's only like, four choices, and one of them requires you to be a wizard..."

Elan - "You like me, you like me, you like me!"

Hmm, maybe it's for the best that the Order of the Stick doesn't advance to 4e too soon...

Timberboar
2009-03-19, 10:03 AM
Roy - "You do know that the bard class hasn't been officially released yet, right?"

Elan - "..."

*Pop*

*Elan turns into a Level 1, having to start over again as his chosen class doesn't exist yet*

The bard class was officially released Tuesday, actually. :D

The Neoclassic
2009-03-19, 10:20 AM
Also, OotS is not 3.5. Rich specifically stated that the OotS world was a hybrid between the two, taking whichever parts he liked best, and making fun of the rules of all. That said, most of the world is 3.5 based, since that's all there was for a good bit of it, but epic is as of yet unexplored, and I wouldn't be surprised if rich chose 4E style epic over 3.5. Not that elements of both won't ultimately be in there, of course. Story and funny are the #1 and 2 priorities, in any case.

Out of curiousity, where did Rich state that? It's not that I don't believe you but rather I somehow missed that announcement.

V'icternus
2009-03-19, 10:38 AM
The bard class was officially released Tuesday, actually. :D

...I'm not letting any of my friends know. I just know one of them would try to "bring on the bard", especially as we're just about to begin a D&D 4e campaign. There's no way I'm letting my Warlock get stuck with a bard for a teammate.

"Oh, that's it, if you don't stop singing, I'm converting to Chaotic Evil right now, and my first evil act will be to shove that lute right up your..."

Lol.

Still, I suppose it's good news for those of you whose friends don't play bards like my friends do...

"I stop to smell the flowers."

"But they were all burnt by that fireball attack that missed the giant wolves"

"I respect the natural beauty of all things, V'icternus"

The Neoclassic
2009-03-19, 10:44 AM
Out of curiousity, where did Rich state that? It's not that I don't believe you but rather I somehow missed that announcement.

Oops, found it!

Nor will I limit myself to either jokes about 3.5 Edition or 4th Edition. I’ll go where the humor takes me, and if that happens to create gross inconsistencies, then so be it. As an added benefit, I expect it will drive the fans who try to figure out exactly what is occurring in each strip from a strict D&D rules perspective absolutely nuts. If it really bothers anyone, simply imagine that the OOTS world follows someone’s homebrewed hybridization of 3.5 and 4th Editions, using bits and pieces from whichever ruleset they think works better.

CrimsonAngel
2009-03-19, 11:11 AM
I made these in the arts and crafts thread.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/CrimsonAngelChris/g23-2.png

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/CrimsonAngelChris/g252.png

Chirios
2009-03-19, 12:44 PM
Its unlikely that the characters will ever reach epic level.

This topic should be called:

What Epic Destinies would the Characters Have?

Da'Shain
2009-03-19, 01:33 PM
:roy: Well, Roy definitely doesn't qualify for "Undying Warrior." :smallwink: Maybe "Eternal Defender?" For that one, your core belief is supposed to be the certainty that you are your allies' protector. And while Roy hasn't done a great job of that, it's certainly one of his major shticks. (Both from Martial Power)

:haley: Haley is definitely the "Deadly Trickster." At least, of the Epic Destinies so far put out.

:vaarsuvius: V is probably going to be "Archmage," since "Lorekeeper" doesn't really fit him. We'll see when Arcane Power comes out, though, if there's one that fits him better.

:belkar: Belkar = "Harbinger of Doom."

You are drawn irresistibly to
fulfill some ultimate doom—usually the catastrophic
destruction of a great creature, a mighty realm, or a
legendary artifact. When you triumph, fate repairs
itself around you, and a new skein of destiny takes
shape. In such a weaving, you no longer have a place,
and you are hurled out of existence. Nothing remains
of you, but you are remembered in the world’s myths
and legends as an agent of change and destruction.

:elan: Elan will probably go "Demigod," just because the frustration it will elicit from Roy will be priceless. Although the PHB2 "Fatesinger" destiny comes close, with it seeming to have Genre Savviness built in in the form of hearing snatches of "the Song of Heroes."

:durkon: Durkon, I'm hesitant to pigeonhole into "Revered One" (PHB2), but aside from that the only one I can see giving him is "Eternal Seeker."

:xykon: Xykon, almost definitely another "Harbinger of Doom." Although "Deadly Trickster" is a possibility here. Dude's frickin' scary, after all.

:redcloak: Redcloak I'll have to agree has the makings of a "Demigod." He certainly is the priest of someone who went that route.

:thog: Thog will be a "Primal Avatar." And the heavens shall tremble.

Nivenus
2009-03-19, 02:04 PM
Wouldn't Durkon be a Harbinger of Doom as well, given his backstory?

Da'Shain
2009-03-19, 02:11 PM
He might, but the flavor text surrounding that destiny seems to pretty well rule it out (everything going wrong around you, basically, and having "broken the bonds of fate" which throws a wrench into the whole prophecy bit), as well as the powers not really matching any part of Durkon's abilities or personality, IMO.