PDA

View Full Version : Strom Crow [Creature]

LordOfNarf
2006-08-29, 12:58 AM
Storm Crow
Tiny Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 2d10 (11)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 5 ft. (1 square), fly 90 ft. (18 squares) (good)
Amour Class: 18 (+6 Dex, +2 Size)
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/
Attack: Claws +4 melee (1d2-3) or lightning bolt +10 ranged (1d6 electricity)
Full Attack: Claws +4 melee (1d2-3) or lightning bolt +10 ranged (1d6 electricity)
Space/Reach: 2 ½ ft. / 0 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell like Abilities, Faire Fire
Special Qualities: electricity resistance 10
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +9, Will +4
Abilities: Str 4, Dex 22, Con 11, Int 16, Wis 18 Cha 19
Skills: Concentration +5, Hide +11, Knowledge (arcana) +8, Listen +9, Spot +9
Feats: Hover
Environment: Cold Forests
Organization: Solitary or with a murder of crows
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Double Standard, coins only
Alignment: often Chaotic Evil
Advancement: 3-6 (Tiny)
Level Adjustment: -

This looks like a normal crow, but the eyes sparkle with the shine of intelligence and perceptiveness beyond other birds.

The storm crow is a crow imbued with the natural violence of the storms of its homeland. It is the same size as a normal crow but is incredibly more intelligent. A storm crow is a naturally submissive creature, often serving as the adviser to a ruler or powerful wizard. Storm crows in the wild are often unaware that their tremendous power makes tham special, until they are found and set apart by some cany humanoid. If a storm crow in the wild finds it is special, it seeks others of its kind, often traveling the length and breadth of continents to gather into a full murder of them. A murder of storm crows follows no ideas other than wanton violence, but are feircely terretorial.

COMBAT

A Storm crow likes to support others in its attack, but it is loathe to go into combat alone, for it is physically weak. It prefers to use control weather and Faire Fire to disrupt opponents in combat.

Faire Fire: A Storm Crow can, as a standard action once every 1d6 rounds encase one enemy it can see in Faire Fire. The enemy gets one attempt at a will save DC 15. If successful, this reduces all movement types of the enemy by ½. This cannot cause a flying creature to fall by going slower than its minimum speed. In addition, the creature is distracted by shining fire in its face, and all attacks it makes have a 20% miss chance. The faire fire lasts 1d10 rounds then fades into nothing. The save DC is Charisma based.

Spell like Abilities: At will – control weather
[hr]
I now have alot more respect for VT and DO and all the other monster makers on these boards, its harder work than it looks.

This is my first monster, so be nice please, but I was going for a low power, kinda magicky feel to it.

any constructive criticism is appreciated, and i am entering this to MitP since I feel people overlook low powerd stuff too much.

entered in MitP (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11557461 87)

Saithis Bladewing
2006-08-29, 05:38 PM
CR is definitely too high. A generic party of 4th levels could undoubtedly waste this thing without even coughing at it. I'd say 2, maaaybe 3, is far more reasonable but I'm a pretty bad judge of CRs as a general rule. It could very badly hurt a level 1 party, but once it's made its presence known even a low level party shouldn't have any problems taking it down, it's got almost no HP to speak of.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-29, 05:50 PM
Yeah... I'd say a CR 2.

Also - Is "Faire Fire" meant to be "Faerie Fire"? Cause the abiity's effect is nothing like the spell.

LordOfNarf
2006-08-29, 05:53 PM
Ok, changed, I was wary of the CR since it has a fast fly speed and an ability to harass a low level party with energy attacks, which could pose some problems.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-08-29, 05:57 PM
Even a low level party has access to endure elements, and a magic missile would put some serious hurting on this creature. The lightning attack is very chaotic on damage, though. It could hurt like a mofo, or it could do almost nothing. With endure elements up, the spellcaster of the party would be pretty much immune to its attacks. The fly speed could be a problem at first, but a smart party can get around that.

Aaaanyway...

MitP Vote: Yes.

Matthew
2006-08-30, 08:46 AM
Has this creature got nothing to do with Gandalf? ;)

Interesting creature; I would have thought it would be only 1 HD, any reason for having 2?

Also, did you know that the Thread Title reads 'Strom', rather than 'Storm'?

Leperflesh
2006-09-10, 11:04 PM
Hmm. It's intelligent, often CE, and it collects coins (apparently). What's its motivation? Why does it want to murder the PCs? A little help into the Storm Crow's psychology or habits would go a long way.

I want to vote for it but it needs just a little bit more flavor.

-Lep

Mr._Blinky
2006-09-11, 12:16 AM
Also, you should specify that the lightning bolt is a ranged touch attack, not just ranged (at least I'm assuming it's touch).

LordOfNarf
2006-09-11, 07:29 PM
I fleshed out the fluffy a bit, and added more behavior to it. Also, Lightning, is not a touch, it is jsut a ranged attack, its not powerful enough for a ranged touch.. plus, a ranged touch on a CR 2 would hurt insanely much.

Faere Fire is jsut my little invention, theres no basis in anything else, but i like the flavor of it.

Leperflesh
2006-09-12, 04:31 PM
Okay. I'm satisfied with the new flavor text. Well done!

MitP Vote: Yes

-Lep

ShipWrecked
2006-09-13, 09:07 PM
MITP VOTE: YES

nice work lord. its pretty sweet,

Jackstu_the_yummy
2006-09-16, 06:20 PM
magic missle and its down in no time or two people with bows. or druid with animal companion