PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Looking for a fun arcane class at lower levels

overduegalaxy
2009-02-20, 11:57 PM
I've been stuck in melee roles for the last few characters, so I'd like to switch back over to a caster for my next character.

Wizards and sorcerers don't do so well at early levels (especially since we're probably starting at 1), so what are my other options? I've played a Warmage and Beguiler recently enough, so they're right out. There's always Bard, of course, but I'd like to try out a class I've never played.

I was idly considering a Wu-Jen or a Warlock. However, Wu-Jen would probably run into the same problem as wizards at such a low level (and yes, are mechanically fairly weak, but our group is not the most optimized group in the first place). Warlock looks promising, but I've never played (or even looked closely at) one in 3.5, so I have no idea if they work out as well as they look like they should.

And then there's the arcane classes that I have absolutely no idea about. Duskblade, hexblade, spellthief, dragonfire adept, and so on. Are any of them worth looking at, or do I have absolutely no idea about them because they're generally ignored and passed over for better classes?

So those are my thoughts, what's your advice, Playgrounders?

MisterSaturnine
2009-02-21, 12:04 AM
I say go with Warlock. Shatter at will is fun.

wadledo
2009-02-21, 12:09 AM
Warlock is good at any level, and the at will abilities should fulfill your blasting fantasies.

Duskblade is what I'd suggest if you don't go warlock, since Gishs are as fun as a barrel full of monkeys.

Arcane_Snowman
2009-02-21, 12:10 AM
Wizards and Sorcerers can actually do well with stuff like Grease, Color Spray, Sleep etc. around first level, then you move up to stuff like Glitterdust. Their biggest problem is the low hp/ac, but it will become less of a problem later on.

The spontaneous casters with a limited spell list are Warmage, Beguiler and Dread Necromancer, these can cast every spell on their list from the start, but can't chose many spells outside of that list so customizability is limited, but they are by no means weak.

Warlock and Dragonfire Adept are in the same boat, loaded with spell-like abilities to be capable of doing something all day long, they are considered less powerful than any of the "propper" spellcasting classes, but they are still very capable and fun, especially at low levels, which is where they shine the most.

Hexblade and Spellthief are both a bit on the weak side, they need a bit of fixing, but could be interesting, as you said you aren't playing in a hugely optimizing group. Duskblade is a very capable damage dealer, and works well as a fighter, albeit they have less AC to start with.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-02-21, 12:11 AM
Warlock. At-wills are always fun, but at-will covering the enemy with bugs that auto-hit? That's just cruel.
Duskblade is nice after level 3. Before then, it's still no weaker than anything else melee.
Dread Necromancer, especially one with Tomb-Tainted Soul, is all kinds of versatile at 1st.

And Wizard is good. Sleep, Color Spray, 1st level spells end encounters if you're built right.

Glimbur
2009-02-21, 11:30 AM
I'm running a Spellthief in a mid-level game and having a blast. It probably helps that every member of my party is some sort of caster. Unless there are casters around; friendly or hostile; I'd give the Spellthief a pass: without people to steal from they're rogues with less sneak attack and up to three or four spells a day.

TempusCCK
2009-02-21, 12:09 PM
Warlock is good at any level, and the at will abilities should fulfill your blasting fantasies.

Duskblade is what I'd suggest if you don't go warlock, since Gishs are as fun as a barrel full of monkeys.

As fun as several barrels of particularly whimsical monkeys?

ericgrau
2009-02-21, 01:23 PM
Wizards and Sorcerers can actually do well with stuff like Grease, Color Spray, Sleep etc. around first level, then you move up to stuff like Glitterdust. Their biggest problem is the low hp/ac, but it will become less of a problem later on.

Yeah, just take spells like these and you'll still do alright. They have their limitations which tend to be overlooked by people pushing arcane casters, but they'll at least keep you up to par.

Human Paragon 3
2009-02-21, 02:06 PM
Beguiler is great at every level. The only weak point in its career is level 3 when you're still making due with 1st level spells, but once you reach 4, the hits just keep coming.

Kaiyanwang
2009-02-21, 02:06 PM
More, some limitation at those levels could make the class even more fun to play, and more enjoyable at higher levels (*High level wizard trashes the crossbow*).

Said this, Invocation Users (Warlock and DF Adept).

Keld Denar
2009-02-21, 03:09 PM
I'd like to endorse Dragonfire Adepts. They are a ton of fun. Go human and take Entangling Exhalation and Ability Focus: Breath Weapon as your first 2 feats. Your Invocation should be the Endure Elements one which also allows your allies to avoid friendly fire. You'll have decent HP from your focus on Con. Your DC will be (assuming 18 Con starting) DC16 reflex, which is as good or better than a caster of your level. Every time you hit with your BW and your foe fails, he will be entangled, which imposes some handy penalties and restrict movement. This is really useful for your party. As you get higher level, your DC scales with you and you can pick up other fun features like flight and dispelling and your own flavor of Solid Fog (great spell). Its a really strong battlefield controller without being breakable like a wizard. Lots of fun.