PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon builders game

DJDeMiko
2009-02-21, 12:52 AM
I am working on a game concept where the players play the flip side of the dungeon crawl.

Ignoring the fluff there are two things I'm working on and wondeirng if they already exist

1. Full classes entirely designed around crafting, raising animals, building, training. Basically classes that have no combat value and were meant to be used for NPC's who work for a living

-The players will be running the monsters in the level, but playing as characters who just build, fix, train, capture. I'm working on classes that are totally focused on say keeping and raising poisoness bugs/plants to use for making poison.

2. Rules for costs of hiring monsters and higher level humanoids. Maybe I'm just missing it but I cant seem to find any rules for hiring combat-able things over first or second level.

- the players will have to make decisions on who and what to hire as troops. I'm trying to figure out a good system for say the difference in the cost of hiring 10 basic kobolds or 1 level 5 orc barbarian.

Any help on pre-existing stuff or resources to look through would be appreciated.

Thane of Fife
2009-02-21, 12:54 AM
Not exactly what you're talking about, but How to Host a Dungeon (http://planet-thirteen.com/Dungeon.aspx) is at least close-ish.

Limos
2009-02-21, 12:55 AM
Try giving them a list of different traps that they can craft, with different craft checks and time needed for each, and then a set time until the adventurers arrive.

They'll have to determine which traps and monsters to place where to have the greatest effect against the incoming PC's.

You should probably give them some minimal fighting capability, at least enough to pull off some Tucker's Kobolds action.

The Mentalist
2009-02-21, 12:57 AM
On the first, I'd say expert with commoner level BaB would do it, the second I'm clueless although I remember something in the 3.0 Arms and Equipment Guide.

Jack_Simth
2009-02-21, 02:57 AM
I once had a BBEG that was a dungeon builder.

Class: Sorcerer. Notable spells:

Disintegrate, Wall of Stone, Stone Shape, Fabricate, Greater Planar Binding (and the associated Magic Circle Against Evil, Dismissal, and Dimensional Anchor, of course), Illusory Wall. I once worked it out - he could make a quite decent dungeon in a few weeks without too much effort at all.

DJDeMiko
2009-02-21, 03:13 AM
Thanks for the tips.

I'm more looking for classes and cost estimates than suggestions on builds.

Expert is too basic for what I had in mind. I was hoping to make something more PC-level than expert.

In a way I'm trying to create a mini-dnd game where I run players who are running characters that are building a dungeon. Instead of making pcs who excel at killing monsters, they will make pcs who excel at building/stocking a dungeon that has to survive attacks from npc adventurer's.

The dmg and dmg 2 and 3.0 stronghold builders guide give some nice starting suggestions and I have enough for the basics.

What I'm trying to do now is create the PC classes and create a cost structure for hiring monsters/higher level npcs to fight for them.

Atelm
2009-02-21, 03:19 AM
The Combat Trapsmith prestige class from [3.5] Complete Scoundrel sounds like one possible option. With a rogue as a base class for it, since one of the prerequisites is to have trapfinding.