PDA

View Full Version : Superman: Unleashed

WitchSlayer
2009-02-21, 05:29 AM
I really only have one thing to say about this:

Ugh.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/02/20/exclusive-superman-returns-sequel-to-be-titled-superman-unleashed/

Kaelaroth
2009-02-21, 06:46 AM
After publication of this story, the information has since been removed from the Legendary Pictures website.
Which would indicate that it's a working title, if the article in remotely true, or that the film isn't going to be made at all, and was a joke/error/glitch/piece-of-old-news.

One of my other sources claims that the title is just a working title and they are still hearing pitches from different writers.
Would back up my first statement. :smallsmile:

leafman
2009-02-21, 02:55 PM
I did read an article a couple weeks ago about an up coming Green Lantern film that had a quote from Warner Bros. saying that they were planning on making more Batman and Superman films.

Not the quote I saw but it does confirm what I heard:

Alan Horn, president of Warner Bros., recently spoke to Collider about the future of Batman and other super heroes at the WB. The Green Lantern news comes towards the end of the brief interview, here is Collider’s transcript:

I then ask when we might be seeing another Superman. “Probably in the next couple of years. We’re very anxious to bring Superman back also.”

I then say Green Lantern? “Also on the board. On the runway. Hasn’t taken off yet, but we’re close.”

I finally ask what he thinks the next Superhero property might be from Warner Bros. He says “I think Green Lantern is probably the best guess but I can’t promise it at this moment.”

And Justice League? “Not yet.”

http://green-lantern.moviechronicles.com/2008-12/green-lantern-next-super-hero-for-warner-bros/

Ascension
2009-02-21, 04:39 PM
I'd much prefer to see a Green Lantern movie.

And I do so hope that they change that title before release, if it even was a real title in the first place. Altogether too many things are getting "Unleashed" these days. I'm starting to expect "BARBIE: UNLEASHED" or something.

kpenguin
2009-02-21, 04:40 PM
A darker and edgier Barbie would be wicked cool. (http://www.chocolatehammer.org/?p=400)

(Scroll down to #4)

WitchSlayer
2009-02-21, 04:45 PM
My main problem is they're going for a SEQUEL instead of a REBOOT which is what they should do.

kpenguin
2009-02-21, 04:46 PM
Didn't they just do a reboot?

Ichneumon
2009-02-21, 05:07 PM
Didn't they just do a reboot?

Superman Returns was in essence a reboot.

kpenguin
2009-02-21, 05:18 PM
Superman Returns was in essence a reboot.

Exactly what I was referring to.

Do you guys really want to reboot a reboot just after a reboot?

Ichneumon
2009-02-21, 06:49 PM
Exactly what I was referring to.

Do you guys really want to reboot a reboot just after a reboot?

With the lack of quality of Superman Returns I think they do have a good reason to want a reboot.

MammonAzrael
2009-02-21, 06:54 PM
Yeah. I'd like to see a full reboot. Returns was...disappointing to say the least. I'd rather like to see that forgotten in the annals of canon movie history.

WitchSlayer
2009-02-21, 09:28 PM
Superman Returns was most definitely a sequel.

Rutskarn
2009-02-21, 11:44 PM
A darker and edgier Barbie would be wicked cool. (http://www.chocolatehammer.org/?p=400)

(Scroll down to #4)

Hey, I'm not the only one peddling my demented wares!

On topic, I'm not sure this article could be more absurd if it involved an animated .gif of Christopher Walken wearing a clown suit and dancing the macarena on top of a pile of cow excrement.

"Superman Unleashed"?

"Ramping up the action"?

"Take the audience to heights of action that no other superhero movie can achieve"?

My daisy-scented GOD, what kind of Superhero franchise do they think they're working on here?

Admiral_Kelly
2009-02-22, 01:20 AM
Superman Returns was most definitely a sequel.Correct and incorrect. See, there was a Superman III and a Superman IV, but they were deemed so awful they were ignored by Superman Returns thus being a direct sequel to Superman II. This is what is known as a partial reboot.

And now you know.

Rutskarn
2009-02-22, 01:43 AM
And now you know.

And knowing is half the battle!

The other half is making a cliche joke about what the other half of the battle is.

kpenguin
2009-02-22, 01:56 AM
Hey, I'm not the only one peddling my demented wares!

Yeah, whatever. I still look down upon your shameless advertising. SHAMELESS IT TELL YOU!

On topic, I'm not sure this article could be more absurd if it involved an animated .gif of Christopher Walken wearing a clown suit and dancing the macarena on top of a pile of cow excrement.

"Superman Unleashed"?

"Ramping up the action"?

"Take the audience to heights of action that no other superhero movie can achieve"?

My daisy-scented GOD, what kind of Superhero franchise do they think they're working on here?

They saw that Dark Knight had explosions and it was popular and they saw that Iron Man had explosions and it was popular, so they thought, "Gee, guess the people want their superhero movies to be more actiony"

Action movies and superhero movies, two great tastes that go great together!

Starscream
2009-02-22, 02:00 AM
Superman Returns was more sequel than reboot. It just ignored the awful third and fourth movies. Sadly, it wasn't much better.

A proper reboot might be a good idea, but I'm worried they will want to make it like Smallville, a show that is more angsty teen drama than superhero epic.

As for a Green Lantern film, that might work. My only problem is that I assume it would be about Hal Jordan. I know this is blasphemy, but I like Kyle much better. Hal has absolutely no personality whatsoever. Seriously, he is just a standard issue "Brave, Stoic, Hero Guy". Going insane was the first interesting thing he ever did, and they retconned that to being to work of a giant yellow mosquito.

What I'd really like to see is a Flash movie. Only problem is, once again, I like the character's modern incarnation more than his Silver Age one, and they'll probably use the latter. I love the Silver Age, honest, but back then superheros were not allowed to have flaws, and that cripples their ability to be sympathetic.

kpenguin
2009-02-22, 02:02 AM
Kyle better than Hal? BLASPHEMY! BURN! BURN THE HERETIC!

They're coming out with a Green Lantern animated DTV called Green Lantern: First Flight starring Hal, so... there.

Ascension
2009-02-22, 02:18 AM
See, I just want to see Green Lantern because it would involve a lot of flashy green CGI. I don't care what Lantern delivers the CGI... heck, you could even give me Guy Gardner and I'd watch it if it had enough of a special effects budget. I'm looking for a pretty popcorn movie, not an emotional epic.

kpenguin
2009-02-22, 02:20 AM
Guy would be cool. Certainly a contrast from Hal.

WitchSlayer
2009-02-22, 03:13 AM
There's a Green Lantern script that's being made into a movie. I've read it but I don't want to spoil anything. Suffice to say unless they get a good Superman writer to write this movie, I'll give it 80% chance to suck.

Xuincherguixe
2009-02-22, 03:52 AM
I'm more interested in this Barbie Unleashed movie I keep hearing about.

Ascension
2009-02-22, 07:40 AM
There's a Green Lantern script that's being made into a movie. I've read it but I don't want to spoil anything.

Riiiiiiiiiight. (http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20080826.html)

Kaelaroth
2009-02-22, 07:43 AM
Riiiiiiiiiight. (http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20080826.html)

*high fives* :smalltongue:

Jerthanis
2009-02-22, 11:59 AM
When I saw Superman Returns for the first time, I hadn't seen Superman 1 in over 10 years, and had never seen Supermans 2-4, and I wasn't a fan of Superman.

At the time, I thought Superman Returns was about as good a Superman movie as you could expect to make.

Now, Superman is my favorite superhero and I've seen all 4 Reeve's Supermans, and Returns is worse than any of them. Yes, even Superman 4: The Quest for Peace. Yes, even Richard Pryor 3: The wacky hijinks of the unlucky everyman, guest starring Superman.

It also takes the plot into a place that they can't really follow up on in any way. Lois is as good as married, and to have her leave Richard White for Superman would make her unlikable, but there's a child with Superman's powers, that he has an obligation to raise to understand his powers. There's no way to make the plot happen that doesn't involve Lois or Superman being jerks or creepy, or having Richard die to make room.

They should just ditch all this 30 year old continuity and make a GOOD Superman movie. How's this: Superman For All Seasons, the movie?

Rutskarn
2009-02-22, 12:32 PM
I'm more interested in this Barbie Unleashed movie I keep hearing about.

I'm a girl gone bad
In a world gone ma-ad
Fill you with lead
Soon you'll be dead

If you touch my bows
I'll leave you for the cro-ows
Your life behind you
Nobody will find you

Anteros
2009-02-22, 12:41 PM
Well, terrible titles aside, the Superman movies certainly couldn't hurt from adding more action. The last movie was more like a terrible soap opera than a superhero movie.