PDA

View Full Version : First Homebrew Class.

Anuan
2009-02-21, 07:37 AM
A while ago I decided to try my hand at making a class. It was my first time, and I've got nothing to compare it to, so...I'm not sure how I went. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I used 3.0 rules because as limited as my experience has been, it's also what I've used the most. Here we go.

ABILITIES:
Dexterity is the primary ability for longarms. High constitution scores are also valued since longarms tend to prefer as little armor as possible. Wisdom is also helpful for learning skills and the Focused Mind class feat.
Alignment Restriction: Any Lawful
Hit Die D8
SKILLS:
Follows the fighter's skill list.

CLASS FEATURES:
Proficient with reach weapons only. Proficient with light and medium armor only.

BASE ATTACKS & SAVES:
Follows the rogue's BAB and saves.

FOCUSED MIND:
+4 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +2 to AC, -2 to Will saves. Lasts 3 + Wisdom modifier number of rounds. -2 to strength and dexterity after (ends at level 20). May be used only once per encounter. May be used 1/day at level 1, 2/day at level 4, 3/day at level 8, 4/day at level 12

ZEN MIND:
+6 Strength, +6 Dexterity, +3 to AC, -2 to Will saves. Lasts 3 + Wisdom modifier number of rounds. -2 to strength and dexterity after (ends at level 20). May be used only once per encounter. May be used 5/day at level 16, 6/day at level 20.

EVASION:
As monk ability

FAST MOVEMENT:
3rd level, as the monk ability

SLOW FALL:
4th level, as the monk ability

IMPROVED EVASION:
9th level, as monk ability

So there we go. Be gentle; like I said it's my first time :smalltongue:

Neithan
2009-02-21, 08:04 AM
Interesting, this looks pretty much like something I did about a months ago. :smallbiggrin:

First thing, you should begin with a concept in pure fluff without paying any attention to actual stats for the beginning. It really makes it much easier to look for abilities to add and to see what abilities might be inappropiate.

It looks to me like a barbarian/monk crossover with focus on polearms, which seems quite interesting to me. As this class is primarily combat focused, it should really get full BAB. One big problem with the monk is, that it can get quite difficult to hit anything, and you should not repeat this possible problem.

Fighter skill list is a nice start, but you should think about adding more skills usefull for lightly armed and fast warriors. Like Balance, Tumble and Escape artist. Also 2 skill points is far to few and I would use at least 4.

I think it's really a good start, but probably still quite on the weak side. As of now, it's a barbarian plus Evasion, but minus BAB, hit points, and skills. You should add some more stuff to make it stronger.

I would start with a standard barbarian, and for every thing you remove from it, add something else.

Anuan
2009-02-21, 08:09 AM
I forgot to mention, I did this while discussing with a guy who was a potential DM, and he made a point of using the Rogue's BAB to prevent it being over-powerful. As I said, I've got little experience outside of a few computer games. I was the only one with a mild interest in my town >_>

Again, thanks for the comments.

MeklorIlavator
2009-02-21, 03:05 PM
It doesn't look like giving it full BaB would break it. Also, I would remove the "ends at level 20" lines from Zen and Focused Mind, and instead make those separate abilities.

Oh, and you might try and use the charts given in this thread.

In any case, I think this looks a little sparse/uninteresting. It does have a good base, though, so it will be interesting to see where it goes.