Initiative: +5
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 22 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +12 natural), touch 10, flatfooted 21
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+17
Attack: Claw +13 melee (1d6+7)
Full Attack: 4 Claws +13 melee (1d6+7)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Born of secrets, horrid vision, improved grab, rake
Special Qualities: All-around vision, damage reduction 5/good, darkvision 60 ft., undead traits
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +8
Abilities: Str 24, Dex 12, Con –, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 16
Skills: Intimidate +18, Search +19, Spot +19, Tumble +16
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Overrun, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Focus (Claw)
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Lawful Evil
Advancement: 13-16 HD (Large), 17-22 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: –

Subrosials are wretched undead servitors of the dark gods, unspeakable secrets bound within corrupt flesh. Created by evil clerics to serve as guardians or assassins, the creatures remain relatively rare, due to the difficulties involved in creating them, but are a potent threat. Subrosials are bizarre and wholly unnatural in build. A Subrosial’s body is a misshapen knot of featureless flesh about four to six feet in diameter. From it extend eight unnaturally long arms, each with a bloodshot eye sewn into its palm. At any given time, four arms are generally used for walking, while the others are used to fight.

Born of Secrets (Su)
A Subrosial is given unlife by the unholy secret imbued into it. Upon its death, the secret is released. All creatures within 30 ft. of it must make a DC 21 Will save or go insane, as the spell insanity. Even if a creature succeeds on its save, it is confused for 1d10 rounds. The save is Cha based and includes a +2 racial bonus.

Horrid Vision (Su)
When a Subrosial grapples a creature, it covers the creature’s eyes with its hands, effectively blinding the creature until it escapes the grapple. In addition, each round it begins grappling the creature, the eyes in its palms project dark and horrible images into the eyes of the grappled creature, dealing 1d3 points of Charisma damage to it. Creatures without eyes are immune to this ability, though simply closing one's eyes or being already blind offers no protection against the supernatural projection.

Improved Grab (Ex)
To use this ability, a Subrosial must hit a creature of its size or smaller with its claw attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Rake (Ex)
A Subrosial that begins its turn grappling an enemy can make four rake attacks against it, which are not subject to the normal -4 penalty for attack in a grapple. The attacks are made with an attack bonus of +13 and deal 1d6+7 damage.

All-Around Vision (Ex)
A Subrosial can look in all ways with the eyes on each of its palms. This grants it a +4 bonus on Search and Spot checks. In addition, they cannot be flanked.

Creation
A Subrosial can be created with the create undead spell, as long as it has a caster level of 18th or higher. However, in the process of the creation, the creating spellcaster, who must be a cleric of an evil god, must infuse the creation with a dark secret, done by expending a spell slot in which the commune spell has been prepared. Furthermore, rather than simply casting the spell on a corpse, the creator must sew together parts taken from at least 4 bodies, a process taking 8 hours.

fangthane
2006-09-07, 11:38 PM
Dagnabbit, this isn't a golem!

You had to know I was expecting a golem with a title like that. Don't tell me, you thought the Styx was just a river in Hades... :)

Anyhow, it looks intriguing at the very least, though that charisma damage could be a little bit mean :)

What about the possibility of closing one's eyes? Or does it also play Beethoven?

edit - now THERE'd have been a good title - "Milk Plus" :)

The Demented One
2006-09-07, 11:47 PM
Dagnabbit, this isn't a golem!

You had to know I was expecting a golem with a title like that. Don't tell me, you thought the Styx was just a river in Hades... :)
No, but I figured anything I did in that regard would just step on the warforgeds' toes. And those aren't things you want to step on.

Anyhow, it looks intriguing at the very least, though that charisma damage could be a little bit mean :) What about the possibility of closing one's eyes? Or does it also play Beethoven?
Closed eyes offer no protection. The projected images are supernatural, and go straight through eyelids. Even a naturally blind creature isn't immune, as even damaged eyes can perceive the supernatural projections.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-08, 12:49 AM
*grins*

I like this'un. Creepy and strange and rather unique. Does the name have any special meaning?

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-08, 01:43 AM
It is from the Latin sub rosa, which means "secret" or "hidden" in figurative usage; literally, "under the roses".

The Demented One
2006-09-08, 07:22 AM
It is from the Latin sub rosa, which means "secret" or "hidden" in figurative usage; literally, "under the roses".
Yep, you got it.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-08, 10:36 AM
Crazily enough, I learned that from a manga before I ever took my 4 years of Latin.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-08, 10:44 AM
Hehe, I know just enough smattering of latin to think it meant something.

Oh, and forgot... MITP: Oh yeah.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-08, 10:46 AM
This is for MitP?

Guess I need to check stuff out more often.

MitP Vote: Yes.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-08, 11:10 AM
This is for MitP?
*shrugs*

I assumed it was.

Randomman413
2006-09-08, 04:30 PM
Assuming VT is correct,
MitP Vote: Yes

The Demented One
2006-09-08, 05:25 PM
I plan on submitting once I've got a few more to go along with it, so vote away.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-09-08, 06:36 PM
I'd probably add either a racial bonus to the save DC for Born of Secrets, or make it do something on a successful save; anywhere from 1d6 to 2d6 wisdom or charisma damage, most likely; I'd probably add that if you're dropped to 0 by this, you're left at 1 and driven insane as if you failed your save (similar to how a Finger of Death can still kill you even if you save).

Even without that, though, MitP: Yes.

fangthane
2006-09-08, 10:54 PM
Subrosials are bizzare and wholly unnatural in build.
Should be 'bizarre' - the word's a bit... bizarre...

Hmm, here's a thought - does a target with a Robe of Eyes (or enough eyes to be clamped by 4 arms)take double damage as it quad-grapples?

Heh, if I'm really necessary to voting it in by the time it's submitted and refined, I will... But I doubt I'll need to.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-09-09, 10:39 AM
Just for the Styx's reference, I would vote yes for this. They are one of my favorite bands. Anyway, to the voting:

MitP Vote: Yes x2.

Leperflesh
2006-09-10, 08:12 PM
MitP vote: Yes.

Good job. Creepy, powerful, interesting, unique. Well done.

-Lep

Tormsskull
2006-09-14, 08:45 PM
I like it. I like it alot.

MitP vote: Yes.

Jackstu_the_yummy
2006-09-16, 05:23 PM
Well it is an interesting idea but if the charichter had gazeblind goggles?? and does it still work if you blind it with a spell ???