PDA

View Full Version : Old flavor, 3.5 system classes: do they exist?

FeAnPi
2009-02-21, 09:55 AM
As the thread's title suggest (--'), I'm searching a way to play the standard classes of D&D, with their old talents and powers, with the 3.5 edition.

Thus, I am not searching something like Labyrinth Lord or OSRIC, but a simple adaptation of the old classes (as they were in they oldest "incarnation") to the (not so) new (now) mechanics of D&D 3.5.

I put the same question in an Italian forum, but the best suggestion that I received was to use the generic classes from Unearthed Arcana to recreate the old classes. And this is not a good solution, because the three generic classes are not designed to give (limited) spellcasting abilities to fighters, just to tell you the first problems I meet creating the "ranger".

So, may someone here know a sourcebook (official or not, I don't care, my only interest is that, if it is, this book is well made), a website, an anything where I could find those classes?

Thank you very much! :)

Serpentine
2009-02-21, 09:59 AM
I doubt I'd be able to answer it anyway, but... I don't understand what you're asking :smallconfused: Are you looking for Dungeons and Dragons (1st ed) or Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (2nd ed) classes reworked into Dungeons and Dragons 3.5ed rules?

Knaight
2009-02-21, 10:08 AM
Unearthed Arcana generic classes can work if you multi-class some, which is required for the ranger and paladin, for example. This lets you have the old, simple flavor, while still having 3.5 rules.

FeAnPi
2009-02-21, 10:09 AM
Yes, I was pheraps a bit cryptic in my firs post.

I am looking more to 1st edition classes reworked in 3.5, but I won't dislike 2nd edition classes.:smallbiggrin:

The fact is that, after their introdution in the game, the classes changed and "evolved" in a way that changed their flavor and abilities. For example, the druid started as a "wizard-cleric" (not mage-cleric, a mage is a Persian priest), and now is a beast-boy ecoterrorist; the ranger started as Aragorn's clone, and now is a two-weapon/bow fighting guy without any real skill to catch his enemies surprised or avoiding being surprised by them.

Edit: yes Knaight, I know... but I prefer a simple, single class for every old class, not a "built" class. If I must build the classes, I would not use D&D but True 20.

PS: quick, indeed, is this forum. Answers came as fast as many tiny sharks when you drop blood in the sea... good!:smallbiggrin: