PDA

View Full Version : Celia's fire and earth friends

Yehomer
2009-02-21, 12:12 PM
I reread the whole comic a few days ago, and realised that I don't really know what race are the fire and earth "feys". I also checked through some monster manuals, to no results. Any idea?

Szilard
2009-02-21, 12:38 PM
They are all Sylphs or something like that.

Kish
2009-02-21, 12:38 PM
It's a mistake to try to shoehorn Rich's Outsiders into a Monster Manual entry, I'd say. Sabine, Qarr, and Celia are all essentially homebrew creations, with none of them exactly matching the powers and descriptions of the Outsider type(s) people in the story occasionally call them. Surely Celia's former elemental coworkers were, too.

Innis Cabal
2009-02-21, 01:18 PM
Qarr is an imp. He's said so himself. Its not impossible for monsters to get class levels, he might have one or two.

Celia is a Slyph. Stated as such. She has powers that the creature dosn't but as you said, its his world so he can do that.

Broler
2009-02-21, 03:56 PM
i think they are a homebrew monster too. they could be spellcasters who specialize in certain elements but i dont think so

Aaron
2009-02-21, 04:37 PM
In comic # 538 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0538.html)panel 7, Celia implies she has levels in sorcerer. This would explain why she is able to use sor/wiz spells like Alter Self, Lightning, and that fog spell at Pete's house.

Saint Nil
2009-02-21, 04:39 PM
The comic states early that those are spell like abilities.

Xerrik
2009-02-21, 07:26 PM
I'm guessing that the earth one is like a dryad or a wood sprite. not exactly earth, but plant is usually associated with earth in a lot of games.

Teron
2009-02-21, 07:28 PM
They're neither class levels nor spell-like abilities, actually. It's innate spellcasting ability, like rakshasas (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rakshasa.htm), couatls (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/couatl.htm) and several other creatures, mostly outsiders, have.

We also know that Quarr is a sorcerer -- he's said so himself (though he told at least one lie in the same comic, when he identified the giant devil as his boss) and his ability to cast charm monster backs it up.

I'm guessing that the earth one is like a dryad or a wood sprite. not exactly earth, but plant is usually associated with earth in a lot of games.
Not likely. Even if there was a tree in the dungeon for her to be connected to (as all dryads are), the Serfway restaurant would presumably be too far from it. The other two girls are probably just generic sylph-equivalent outsiders for their respective elements. I expect you could find something close enough in a 2nd Edition book or something if you're really keen on labelling them.

Zorn
2009-02-21, 07:49 PM
Isn't it possible that they're all Sylphs? I mean, there was no sign stating each and every creature located in one of the wings would match up with specified element. Said Sylphs, if that's what they are, aren't meant to fight anyway. It isn't that much of a stretch if Celia's fire friend simply preferred spicier food for the same reason she accepted the job in the fire wing: she doesn't mind heat that much.

They are all Sylphs or something like that.

Seems I've beaten to the punch. Oh well, I'll support Szilard's argument then.

Teron
2009-02-21, 08:32 PM
Sylphs have wings.

evil-frosty
2009-02-21, 09:36 PM
couldnt they be genasi or would that not work?

Teron
2009-02-22, 03:25 AM
That's possible, yes.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-02-22, 01:19 PM
In comic # 538 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0538.html)panel 7, Celia implies she has levels in sorcerer. This would explain why she is able to use sor/wiz spells like Alter Self, Lightning, and that fog spell at Pete's house.
She automatically has sorcerer spell progression in direct proportion to her hit dice the way dragons do.

I don't remember where this was mentioned, but it came up rather explicitly at one point.

EDIT:
Found the link!
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0530.html

Aaron
2009-02-23, 01:03 AM
The comic states early that those are spell like abilities.

Really? Was this said in one of the books or something? Cause to me it seams Celia and her friends started out with monster hit dice and later took class levels in sorcerer (cause she doesn't cary around a spell book).

Thats why I think Celia has levels in sorcerer. :smallbiggrin:

Inhuman Bot
2009-02-23, 01:55 AM
Really? Was this said in one of the books or something? Cause to me it seams Celia and her friends started out with monster hit dice and later took class levels in sorcerer (cause she doesn't cary around a spell book).

Thats why I think Celia has levels in sorcerer. :smallbiggrin:

Sorrcerers don't use spell books.

Also, somewhere around the leaving of azure city, she comments on them being spell-like abilites.

Optimystik
2009-02-23, 02:07 AM
couldnt they be genasi or would that not work?

I don't know whether her friends are, but Celia certainly isn't; genasi are native outsiders, meaning they can be raised from the dead. Since she specifically said she can't be, she's a true outsider rather than just being planetouched like genasi are.

Aaron
2009-02-23, 02:14 AM
Sorrcerers don't use spell books.

Also, somewhere around the leaving of azure city, she comments on them being spell-like abilites.

I know that. Sorcerers don't use spell books. Being a sorcerer, you learn over time the ways of magic. Wizards learn mostly from intense studying and using spell books, just like V.

Amon Star
2009-02-23, 10:45 AM
We also know that Quarr is a sorcerer -- he's said so himself (though he told at least one lie in the same comic, when he identified the giant devil as his boss) and his ability to cast charm monster backs it up.

I think Quarr was refering too Kubato when he said "You killed my boss" to :vaarsuvius:.

Chronos
2009-02-23, 12:38 PM
If Celia were actually a sylph as described in Monster Manual II, there'd be no reason at all for her to take levels in sorcerer, since she can get exactly the same spellcasting improvement, and much better everything else, by advancing by racial HD instead. You could say that she's a sorcerer, but it's not by virtue of having levels in the sorcerer class; it's by virtue of being a sylph, all of whom can cast sorcerer spells.

Of course, if Celia were actually a sylph as described in Monster Manual II, she'd be small size, instead of medium. That right there should be a pretty clear indication that she doesn't exactly follow the Monster Manual entry.

Optimystik
2009-02-23, 01:50 PM
Celia's sorcerer abilities very likely do come from her racial HD; Haley says as much (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0530.html) without being contradicted, and we can consider her Word of God on most metagaming issues. (Even magical ones, since she knows which spells are core and which aren't.)

Aaron
2009-02-25, 01:44 AM
Celia's sorcerer abilities very likely do come from her racial HD; Haley says as much (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0530.html) without being contradicted, and we can consider her Word of God on most metagaming issues. (Even magical ones, since she knows which spells are core and which aren't.)

If Celia were actually a sylph as described in Monster Manual II, there'd be no reason at all for her to take levels in sorcerer, since she can get exactly the same spellcasting improvement, and much better everything else, by advancing by racial HD instead. You could say that she's a sorcerer, but it's not by virtue of having levels in the sorcerer class; it's by virtue of being a sylph, all of whom can cast sorcerer spells.

Of course, if Celia were actually a sylph as described in Monster Manual II, she'd be small size, instead of medium. That right there should be a pretty clear indication that she doesn't exactly follow the Monster Manual entry.

Thanks Optimystik. This helps confirm that Celia just has all her hit dice in sylph and is practically the same as a sorcerer exept for not having a familiar and being able to fly. As for sylphs normaly being small size when Celia and her friends are medium sized, I can think of three reasons:

One: They have enlarge person on them with a permanency spell.
Two: They have enough hit dice to advance to the next size (like how many monsters do)
Three: Rich just changed their size on his own.:smallbiggrin:

osyluth
2009-02-25, 01:56 AM
Isn't it possible that they're all Sylphs? I mean, there was no sign stating each and every creature located in one of the wings would match up with specified element. Said Sylphs, if that's what they are, aren't meant to fight anyway. It isn't that much of a stretch if Celia's fire friend simply preferred spicier food for the same reason she accepted the job in the fire wing: she doesn't mind heat that much.

Seems I've beaten to the punch. Oh well, I'll support Szilard's argument then.

This is not possible, as sylphs are, as presented in the Monster Manual II, outsider beings of air.

That's true. However, in panel 1 of comic #617, Roy refers to Celia as being "Inexplicably Medium-sized." This implies that Celia is a sylph, and that the inexplicability (that's so not a word) of her being Medium is that sylphs are listed as being Small.

Aaron
2009-02-25, 07:02 PM
This is not possible, as sylphs are, as presented in the Monster Manual II, outsider beings of air.

That's true. However, in panel 1 of comic #617, Roy refers to Celia as being "Inexplicably Medium-sized." This implies that Celia is a sylph, and that the inexplicability (that's so not a word) of her being Medium is that sylphs are listed as being Small.

I have to agree with osyluth. Celia is clearly a sylph, with her being inexplicably (inexplainable) medium-sized, as Roy said.

PanNarrans
2009-02-25, 07:21 PM
Roy refers to Celia as a sylph in panel eleven of this strip: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0442.html

A sexy sylph, to be precise.

Mr. Pin
2009-02-25, 08:35 PM
PanNarrans, get your Cthulhu sig right, please.

It is my opinion that The Giant didn't actually bother looking up appropriate monster entries, and just assumed that there were generic earth and fire fey like those somewhere in some rulebook

Occasional Sage
2009-02-25, 08:36 PM
...the inexplicability (that's so not a word) of her being Medium...

Try using "bizarritude" instead. It makes much more sense.