PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to learn psionics, suggestions?

MammonAzrael
2009-02-21, 12:35 PM
I'd like to learn psionics, hands-on, to get a good feel for the system. Do you have any suggestions on what class to try to get a really solid feel? I was thinking of a Psion (either Kineticist or Egoist for the Autohypnosis).

Thanks!

Zincorium
2009-02-21, 12:57 PM
I'd like to learn psionics, hands-on, to get a good feel for the system. Do you have any suggestions on what class to try to get a really solid feel? I was thinking of a Psion (either Kineticist or Egoist for the Autohypnosis).

Thanks!

Presuming you have no experience with psionics, and that this is 3.5 edition using the expanded psionics handbook (also available via srd):

Psychic warrior. Because all of your powers augment something you should be able to do without them: unleash a beatdown like any barbarian or fighter.

Anyway, avoid wilder like the plague (overly complicated and underpowered), keep in mind you cannot augment powers beyond a certain limit, your manifester level = points to manifest base power + points spent augmenting it, and check with DM as to psionics/magic equivalency.

kamuishirou
2009-02-21, 12:58 PM
IMHO, I'd go Psychic Warrior. They have similar qualities to the Fighter with a dash of Psionics thrown in. Maybe it's my bias to the class, but I think it's a nice stepping stone with things that are known with those you're trying to learn.

Psionicist have a lot of different ways to go. Kind of like starting off a player with a Wizard and having them pick their spells. It can be really over whelming, so going for small doses may be a good way to go.

Just my two cents.

Psychic warrior. Because all of your powers augment something you should be able to do without them: unleash a beatdown like any barbarian or fighter.

ninja'd, but I feel good about my choice knowing someone was thinking the same thing :).

Starbuck_II
2009-02-21, 01:19 PM

Thanks!

Psi-warrior would be best, but if you feel you want to go cold turkey into Psionics: Psion will do.

The type of Psion depends on what Speciality type of manifester (same as spellcaster types) you want to go for:
Creating Astral monsters to fight for you (Shaper)
Energy blasting (Kineticist)
Controlling enemies minds (Telepath)
Controlling enemies bodies (Kineticist)
Seeing the future/escaping detection from those who see future stuff (Seer)
Greater power over movement like Flying, Teleporting (Nomad)
Making yourself beefier like Metamorphosis (Egoist)

Every Psion has a base list they can choose powers from. But the specialty list grants better powers depending on type of play (Egoist, Kineticist, Nomad, Seer, Shaper, and Telepath).

Douglas
2009-02-21, 01:47 PM
Creating Astral monsters to fight for you (Shaper)
If that's all you want Shaper for it's a waste. Pick another discipline and spend one feat on Expanded Knowledge for Astral Construct.

UserClone
2009-02-21, 02:20 PM
I agree with the folks suggesting PsiWar; however, the Wilder hate makes zero sense to me. The first time we ever used Psionics in a game, one of our players ran a Maenad Wilder to completely ludicrous effect.

The Glyphstone
2009-02-21, 02:35 PM
Spend a few hours playing Final Fantasy or pretty much any other CRPG video game out there except for Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter Nights, and you'll understand the essential core of how psions use their power points versus normal casters and their spell slots. Just remember that you don't get mana potions in D&D.

MammonAzrael
2009-02-21, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the suggestions people. Just to clarify, I have read through the rules, and understand them. I was just looking for a suggested class that would give me a good feel for the rules in a hands-on experience. To get a feel for the general level of power, what it feels like to play one, etc.

Starbuck_II
2009-02-21, 03:08 PM
If that's all you want Shaper for it's a waste. Pick another discipline and spend one feat on Expanded Knowledge for Astral Construct.

Well, you get it at a lower level and one less feats.

Adumbration
2009-02-21, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestions people. Just to clarify, I have read through the rules, and understand them. I was just looking for a suggested class that would give me a good feel for the rules in a hands-on experience. To get a feel for the general level of power, what it feels like to play one, etc.

If you play a psion, remember to not spend too much resources per encounter. We once had a fairly high level arena game where I played a psion - it's so easy to blow those powerpoints too fast. (In the other hand, I killed the wizard with the cheesed out scrolls twice in the first round, so it was worth it. The assassin killed me later, since I run out of pps.)

kamikasei
2009-02-21, 03:20 PM

Assuming you'd feel comfortable enough playing a full arcane caster (in terms of resource management, etc.) and are familiar with the things that came into "mainstream" D&D via psionics in 3.5 (e.g., swift and immediate actions), you might as well just play a psion. It'd be the closest to an existing archetype (wizard), so good for comparison, but also give you the most exposure to the psionics rules, via augmentation, focus etc.

Innis Cabal
2009-02-21, 03:29 PM
Psion is more like Sorcerer, Erudite is more like Wizard. But Psion is easy to learn, it does its job very well, and is fairly balanced for a party.

Draz74
2009-02-21, 03:52 PM
I love the PsyWarrior, but I actually think Psion is a better psionics-immersion experience. Stick with that. Egoist is a good choice for your first time, and means that you can even get into a bit of a healer role if your party needs more of that (but you don't have to by any means).

Alleine
2009-02-21, 03:56 PM
I'd go with Psion. I played one before and had a blast with it(literally, kineticists are fun!). Psions will, IMHO, give you the most exposure to the psionics rules simply because that's all they do.

Psychic warriors are fun, but the one I am currently playing is a bit troubling because there is rarely time to prep for battle, and powers do not last long enough at lower levels to just buff at the beginning of each day. That's just my experience though, and I like to contribute during every round of combat.

AslanCross
2009-02-21, 05:50 PM
I'd go with Psion as well. They've got a lot of power points and their disciplines are fairly analogous to Wizard schools, so it's a rather simple transition.

MammonAzrael
2009-02-21, 06:06 PM
Cool. Thank you everyone for your input! Now to go find a game to try it out in! :smallsmile: