PDA

View Full Version : Favored of Luna [PrC]

The Demented One
2009-02-21, 02:05 PM
Favored of Luna

http://wizards.com/dnd/images/completechampion_gallery/104731.jpg

Masters of summoning magic, the Favored of Luna are a druidic cult who seek to unite mankind with nature. Rather than attacking civilization, they believe they must defend it, sustaining the world of man with the power of nature. Only then, their dogma dictates, will the folk of cities and towns understand what succor nature has to offer them, and how great a duty they have to it. Thus, whenever a threat is posed to cities or druidic groves, the Favored of Luna and their summoned companions, beasts of every terrain, march to fight it, their valor and conviction unflagging.

Hit Dice
d6

Requirements
To qualify to become a Favored of Luna, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any Neutral
Feats: Augment Summoning
Spells: Must be capable of casting 4th-level divine spells, including any summon nature’s ally spell.

Class Skills
The Favored of Luna’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Primal Summoner|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Shamanic Harmony|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Nature’s Boon (1st)|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Feral Instincts|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Oaken Might|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Nature’s Boon (2nd)|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Beast Pack Spirit|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Primal Healing|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Nature’s Boon (3rd)|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Greater Augment Summoning|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class [/table]

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Favored of Luna prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
You gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Spellcasting
Whenever you gain a new Favored of Luna level, you gain new spells per day and spells known as if you had also gained a level in a divine spellcasting class you belonged to before you added the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Primal Summoner (Su)
At 1st level, your devotion to the wild gives you more choice when summoning beasts. You add the following animals and plants to the list of creatures you can summon with summon nature’s ally spells. However, in order to summon a creature from this list, your class level must be at least equal to the level of the spell you cast to summon it.

{table=head]
Spell|
Animals

Summon Nature’s Ally I|Gamecock (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2519985&postcount=3), Shrieker Fungus, Skunk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37448), VultureSS,
Summon Nature’s Ally II|Fetid FungusMM5, FleshrakerMM3SailsnakeMM4, SwindlespitterMM3
Summon Nature’s Ally III|Dire VultureSS, Iguanadon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28291) , Violet Fungus
Summon Nature’s Ally IV|Assassin Vine (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/assassinVine.htm), Burl Tortoise (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41279), Dire PumaSS, Tumbling MoundSS
Summon Nature’s Ally V|GlyptodonFB, MegalocerousFB, Pachycephalosaurus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28291), Saber-Toothed TigerFB, Verdant ReaverMM5
Summon Nature’s Ally VI|BloodstrikerMM3, BriarvexMM4, HippopotamusSS, Shambling Mound, Stegosaurus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28291), Tendriculous
Summon Nature’s Ally VII|Burrow RootMM5, Dire TortoiseSS
Summon Nature’s Ally VIII|Saguaro SentinelSS, Wooly MammothFB,
Summon Nature’s Ally IX|Brontosaurus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28291), Dire HippopotamusSS, Dire Polar BearFB, Giganotosaurus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28291), ZeuglodonFB[/table]

ECS: Eberron Campaign Setting
EH: Epic Handbook
FB: Frostburn
MM[X]: Monster Manual [X]
SS: Sandstorm

Shamanic Harmony (Su)
At 2nd level, you become one with nature, existing in sacred harmony with it. You may communicate with your animal companion and with any animal or vermin you summon as if you were under the effects of a constant speak with animals spell. In addition, you gain a sacred bonus on all Handle Animal, Survival, and Wild Empathy checks equal to your class level.

Nature’s Boon (Su)
At 3rd level, you weave powerful spells of strengthening into your summonings. Whenever you cast a summon nature’s ally spell, you may expend any prepared spell with a range of touch that could target the creature you summon. The spell must be of 1st level or lower. All of the creatures you summon gain the benefits of that spell, as if you had cast it normally on each of them. At 6th level, you may cast spells of 2nd level with this ability, and at 9th level, you may cast spells of 3rd level with this ability.

Feral Instincts (Su)
At 4th level, your summoned allies have preternatural senses, allowing them to dodge devastating blows in the nick of time. All animals and plants you summon with a summon nature’s ally spell gain the evasion and improved uncanny dodge special qualities.

Oaken Might (Su)
At 5th level, the beasts and plants you summon have hearts of solid, unyielding oak. Any animal or plant you summon with a summon nature’s ally spell gains damage reduction equal to the level of the spell that summoned it. No form of damage overcomes this damage reduction.

Beast Pack Spirit (Su)
At 7th level, your summoned allies are united into a mighty pack, and no force can overcome their feral wrath as they fight to defend their own. All animals and plants you summon with a summon nature’s ally spell gain the mettle special quality.

Primal Healing (Su)
At 8th level, you can sustain your summoned army with magical healing. As a swift action, you may expend any prepared divine spell to heal all of your summoned creatures an amount equal to 1d6 per spell level, plus your caster level, to a maximum of 9d6+20.

Greater Augment Summoning (Su)
At 10th level, you summon the choicest beasts and plants, the most powerful paragons of their species. All animals and plants you summon with a summon nature’s ally spell have maximum hp per hit dice and gain the Improved Natural Attack feat for all their natural attacks, the Multiattack feat, and the Diehard feat as bonus feats.

watsyurname529
2009-02-21, 02:21 PM
Hello Demented. Interesting PrC as always. I have a few comments.

First, I would take away one level of spell casting at 1st, just because full spell casting is a huge benefit and with this PrC getting something at every level, it gains a lot of power.

Next, for Feral Instincts, I would just give the animals regular Uncanny Dodge. Improved Uncanny Dodge is probably too much with Evasion. Also when they gain Mettle later on.

I also might add an ability that benefits your animal companion more. Like spending a Summon Nature's Ally to give the same benefits to your animal companion, equal to the spell level.

The Demented One
2009-02-21, 02:24 PM
First, I would take away one level of spell casting at 1st, just because full spell casting is a huge benefit and with this PrC getting something at every level, it gains a lot of power.
I figure that what with it not advancing wild shape, the single most powerful aspect of the Druid class, and with the limited scope of the class features, full casting would be fine.

I also might add an ability that benefits your animal companion more. Like spending a Summon Nature's Ally to give the same benefits to your animal companion, equal to the spell level.
Wasn't really the intent of the class, but that might be interesting.

dyslexicfaser
2009-02-22, 12:57 AM
So, no wild shape in exchange for improved summoning.

Since, as far as I know, there's no way to let a druid quicken summon spells to shorter than a full round actions (unlike wizard summoning), I think this is balanced just about right.

It's a good class (I like druids), even if there was no particular ability that 'wowed' me by itself, even the capstone.

Pramxnim
2009-02-22, 05:50 AM
Ah, but what if we're talking about a Spirit Shaman who's going into this class?
IMO, a Spirit Shaman stands to gain a lot more from this prestige class than a Druid, especially if one takes Spontaneous Summoner from Complete Divine, since the SS gets a lot more spells per day than a Druid, and sacrifices less when entering this class.

Nice class, Demented One. I'll see if my DM will allow me to use it in our next campaign, where we'll be hunting dragons. Joy!

Ethrael
2009-02-22, 06:06 AM
Just a quick questionny: when you say "in order to summon a creature from this list, your class level must be at least equal to the level of the spell you cast to summon it." do you mean that your class level has to be level 9 for example to cast Summon Nature's Ally IX or that you must be able to cast level 9 spells? I was just a tad confused.

It's a good class (I like druids), even if there was no particular ability that 'wowed' me by itself, even the capstone.

Yes, I must say, the capstone wasn't in particular that amazing, considering a druid would have to level 17 (?) to get it. Whilst it is a very good boost to give to all summoned creatures, I thought it wasn't really a big boost like you'd expect.

However, I wouldn't say nothing wowed me from the whole class, Primal Healing and Nature's Boon are awesome, but both sorta share the same downside as Greater Augment Summoning.

Apart from the above, I thought it's a really amazing class. I love druids, and I can see how this fits in nicely for a build. I'm considering using it for games in the future and I really really like the picture. :smallbiggrin:

The Demented One
2009-02-22, 09:59 AM
Ah, but what if we're talking about a Spirit Shaman who's going into this class?
IMO, a Spirit Shaman stands to gain a lot more from this prestige class than a Druid, especially if one takes Spontaneous Summoner from Complete Divine, since the SS gets a lot more spells per day than a Druid, and sacrifices less when entering this class.

Spirit Shaman would still lose a lot of yummy class features. Nothing as broked as wild shape, but still good stuff.

dyslexicfaser
2009-02-22, 04:42 PM
I admit Nature's Boon is useful - who wouldn't want to bring in all their summons with Bull's Strength? - but Primal Healing, while very cool thematically, is all but worthless.

If your enemy is focusing their attacks on your summon creatures, then you've pretty much already won. Healing summon creatures, even as a swift action, shouldn't really be necessary. Particularly when they already have DR from Oaken Might.

I don't remember what the spirit shaman can do off the top of my head by lvl 7, but I find it hard to believe it'd be better than 3 uses/day of wild shape. That ability's pretty overpowered.