PDA

View Full Version : Dissertation Research - Please help.

evisiron
2009-02-21, 03:02 PM
Hi.

I am trying to gather a decent sized sample of people for my dissertation research, and it is proving trickier than expected.
If you own a video games console and have a free minute, I would really appreciate it if you could fill in this short tick-box survey:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=qPsj106DpN5LX4qHuBYNSw_3d_3d
Many thanks!

Anyone else trying to complete a worryingly large piece of work for school/university?

EDIT: Link was broken, but fixed now. Sorry for previous inconvenience! :smalleek:

Quincunx
2009-02-21, 03:04 PM
That link punts me to the main page. Is this one of those "give us your details before taking the survey" sites?

Syka
2009-02-21, 03:06 PM
Link isn't working, I think because of the multiple periods part way through.

Relink please?

Player_Zero
2009-02-21, 03:08 PM
Do you need to join to fill it out? That would be a hassle.

Flame of Anor
2009-02-21, 08:06 PM
No, Syka's right--the ellipsis partway through means that evisiron copied the URL from somewhere that wasn't showing it all. We're being redirected to the main page because the middle chunk is missing. I'll PM evisiron about it.

evisiron
2009-02-21, 09:44 PM
Gah! My bad!

I have fixed the link. Here it is again to save scrolling to the first post:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=qPsj106DpN5LX4qHuBYNSw_3d_3d

Thanks to all who pointed out the link was broken, my apologies to those who lost time trying to figure it out and preemptive thanks to all who are about to try it again!

Serpentine
2009-02-21, 10:48 PM
Hey, what's with the lack of a Super Nintendo option? :smallannoyed: :smalltongue:

Rettu Skcollob
2009-02-21, 10:51 PM
I too was saddened by the lack of a SNES option. *Goes back to playing Mario*

Completed the survey, nonetheless.

CMOTDibbler
2009-02-21, 11:01 PM
No N64, either. Although, I suppose the others are more common.

Syka
2009-02-21, 11:15 PM
I said I have an Xbox 360 even though I don't own one. This is because my boyfriend has it, I play it regularly, and if he didn't have one, I would. :smallwink: I basically don't own one simply because I have constant access to it and for all intents and purposes own one.

MisterSaturnine
2009-02-22, 12:15 AM
Filled it out.

Flame of Anor
2009-02-22, 12:21 AM
I said I have an Xbox 360 even though I don't own one. This is because my boyfriend has it, I play it regularly, and if he didn't have one, I would. :smallwink: I basically don't own one simply because I have constant access to it and for all intents and purposes own one.

Lawful much? :smallwink:

Krrth
2009-02-22, 03:07 AM
If it matters, you can add Sega Genesis, Gameboy, Gameboy advanced, and a Ti-99 4a to my list of consoles owned.

Rawhide
2009-02-22, 03:40 AM
I'm sorry, but your survey is flawed. You ask at the end why you would buy a console and you don't have anywhere to reflect the games available (or games potentially available in the future) on the system or the innovativeness of the console. You should also have a row for how much the system's specifications influence the decision.

That is three very important decision factors overlooked in this research. Additionally, the reviews of a console are far less important than the reviews of the games available for them.

SMEE
2009-02-22, 05:17 AM
And it doesn't take into account the demographics of people who mostly enjoy vintage video games... :smallfrown:

I'm reluctating to buy a PSX3 or a 360, but still I buy NES, SNES, Gameboy, Genesis and Master System games monthly...

evisiron
2009-02-22, 10:00 PM
I'm sorry, but your survey is flawed. You ask at the end why you would buy a console and you don't have anywhere to reflect the games available (or games potentially available in the future) on the system or the innovativeness of the console. You should also have a row for how much the system's specifications influence the decision.

That is three very important decision factors overlooked in this research. Additionally, the reviews of a console are far less important than the reviews of the games available for them.

Actually, my dissertation is regarding whether or not advertising for a console is a worthwhile investment. So while those factors are important, they were left out from the survey as there is little any amount of advertising can do to help that.

And originally I had SNES in, but realised that information dating that far back would be less relevant, so that generation was left out to make sure the questionnaire was as quick to fill out as possible.

The Xbox, PS2/3 and Gamecube are options to help draw a correlation between potential previous experience with the brand (which could render all advertising irrelevant depending on how it shaped the consumers opinions).