PDA

View Full Version : New race, critique please

Wrat
2006-09-15, 02:47 PM
ABORIGINES

Medium-size: as medium-size creatures aborigines have no special bonuses or penalties due to size.
Aborigine base land speed is 30 feet
+2 dex, -2 str.
Weapon proficiency:
Aborigines are proficient with the scythe, dagger, and quarterstaff
dark vision 60 feet
+2 on move silently, sense motive, and balance.
+1 on listen
Racial feat: Scent
Psionics: Aborigines start off with 1 power point at first level
Immune to disease
Elf-like nature of “sleep”
Automatic language: Common
Bonus languages:
Under common
Draconic
Favored class:
Soul knife
Level adjustment:
+1

The creature stands roughly as tall as a human. it has bone white skin marked with black stripes, jet black hair and a long prehensile tail.

Physical stuff: they look human except……
they average about 6 feet tall
Four toes on each foot, (three pointing forward and one back)
They always walk on their toes
Prehensile tail that equals ¾ overall height
Prominent canine teeth (they don’t show when mouth is closed)
Swept back pointed ears
Hair is always jet black
Skin is always bone white…
…Except for black stripes, (like a tiger, not a chipmunk) around eyes, tips of ears, on upper arms, down their backs down their legs and tail.

Macrovore
2006-09-15, 11:15 PM
Can we have some flavour?

it's waay underpowerd for a +1 LA. give it a +2 on saves against disease, and it'll be fine as a +0 LA.

don't give them proficiency with weapons if their favored class is soulknife. Even if you do give them weapon profs, don't make it the qstaff and the dagger. everyone gets those. and also don't give them 1 pp, since soulknives get Wild Talent.

Peregrine
2006-09-16, 02:32 AM
Aborigines? Where is this race aboriginal to? (Normally an unqualified Aborigine, especially capitalised, refers to the Australian Aborigines, at least in my experience.)

Can we have some flavour?
Yes please!

and also don't give them 1 pp, since soulknives get Wild Talent.
Disagreed: the bonus power point (which is usually called Naturally Psionic) is common to the psionic races, even if those races favour soulknife (like the xeph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#xephs)). As far as I know, it stacks with the two power points that soulknives get from Wild Talent; even if it doesn't, what does it matter? (Having a favoured class doesn't mean you have to take that class; having Wild Talent as a class feature doesn't mean you can't take that class if you're already psionic.)

Edit: Ooh, there's an idea. Instead of the given weapon proficiencies, how about Weapon Familiarity with bastard swords instead? That'd let them use Shape Mind Blade to get a bastard-sword mind blade without needing to spend an Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat. I know it probably doesn't match the flavour you're after... but it's actually useful. ;)

Harnryd
2006-09-16, 03:49 AM
Aborigines? Where is this race aboriginal to? (Normally an unqualified Aborigine, especially capitalised, refers to the Australian Aborigines, at least in my experience.)

Good point. In fact, I think it's a very good idea to change the name either to something Aborigines or to something else entirely.
You wouldn't post "African Americans are roughly as tall as humans, have -2 str and tails", would you? ;)