Iniative: +5
Speed: Fly 40ft (perfect)
AC: 23 (+8 size, +5 dex), touch 23, flat-footed 18
Base attack/grapple: +5/-
Attack: Swarm 2d6
Full Attack: Swarm 2d6
Space/reach:10ft/0ft
Special Attacks: Blinding lights, spell-like abilities, alluring music
Special Qualities: Fey traits, swarm traits, individual minds, immunity to weapon damage
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +14, Will +8
Abilities: Str 2, Dex 20, Con 11, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 16
Skills: Spot 18, Listen 18, Concentration 14, Diplomacy 16, Sense Motive 14, Perform (sing) 16, Survival 14
Feats: Alertness, Combat Casting, Lightning Reflexes, Track
Environment: Temperate forests and hills
Organization: Solitary or conclave (2-7 swarms)
Challenge rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral
Advancement: None
LA: -

A St. Dymphna’s Ring (also called a Dymphna Ring or a Ring-Under-the-Willow), appears by day as an exceptionally large fairy ring (ring of mushrooms), found at the base of deciduous trees, especially willows (it is believed that St. Dymphna’s Rings got their name from the patron saint of sorrow, based on their preferences for the drooping willow tree). The mushrooms in a St. Dymphna’s ring are generally about 2” high, with round, white caps. They are not especially palatable but are also not poisonous.

At night, however, a St. Dymphna’s Ring uproots itself. The mushrooms reveal faces underneath their caps, sprout arms, legs, and insect-like wings (and a single fine-sized dagger, which is a magical creation of the fairy and does not survive its death), and begin to glow brightly. The St. Dymphna’s Ring flies about, reveling and singing all night long, and occasionally playing tricks upon travelers.

St. Dymphna’s Rings love to mislead travelers, much like will-o-the-wisps, but they are generally more interested in playing jokes and causing havoc than in causing permanent harm to others. They will, however, ruthlessly track down and attempt to destroy anyone who has harmed the ring while it is helpless.

The individual members of St. Dymphna’s rings can speak Sylvan and Common. They are capable of communicating with each other in Sylvan very quickly, which allows them the coordination necessary to attack as a unit.

Combat

St. Dymphna’s Rings will often use their non-lethal abilities (alluring music, non-damaging spell-like abilities) on unwary travelers as practical jokes. Another favorite tactic is to scatter themselves on a hillside, appearing from a distance like the lights of a faraway town.

They will only attack in earnest if attacked, or in revenge for desecration of their ring. Then, they are cunning fighters, targeting those that can harm them (especially spellcasters) first, and making full use of their spell-like abilities to render their foes helpless (since their primary attack does not require an action except for moving into an opponent’s square).

St. Dymphna’s Rings will usually not use their Control Winds ability offensively, saving it instead to calm winds that adversely affect them.

A St. Dymphna's Ring's swarm attack is considered magical for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Spell-like abilities (sp): Individual members of St. Dymphna’s Rings are not powerful enough to cast spells, but they are able to pool their magic to create the following spell-like effects. All at CL 10, save DCs are Charisma-based. At will: Whispering Wind. 5x/day:Hypnotism (DC 14), Faerie Fire. 3x/day: Sound Burst (DC 15), Confusion (DC 16), Resist Energy, Fog Cloud. 1x/day: Mind Fog (DC 18 ), Mislead, Control Winds (DC 18 )

Blinding lights (ex): In addition to the normal effects from being inside a swarm, any character that begins the round in the same square as a flying St. Dymphna’s Ring must make a fortitude save (DC 18, charisma-based) or be blinded for 1d4 rounds. Those that make the save are dazzled for 1d4 rounds. If the Ring has cast Mislead, this will instead apply to those beginning their turn inside the illusory swarm.

Alluring music (ex): The singing of an active St. Dymphna’s Ring has a fascinating and unearthly beauty. This music, which can normally be heard within a radius of 100 feet, forces anyone in range to make a will save (DC 18, Charisma-based) or approach the swarm for one minute (as long as the target can hear the music, they must save every minute). The swarm can use its Whispering Wind ability to “throw” the music to center on any spot the fairies know of, up to 10 miles away.

Individual minds (ex): Although the members of a St. Dymphna’s ring can pool their magical abilities and attack as a unit, they do not form a single hive mind, so the swarm cannot be effected by mind-affecting effects that target a specific number of creatures.

Immunity to weapon damage: As a swarm of fine creatures, a St. Dymphna's Ring cannot be affected by attacks with weapons.

Fey traits, swarm traits: As normal, except for individual minds (see above). The Fort DC for the swarm's distraction attack is 15.

Skills:St. Dymphna’s Rings have a +2 racial bonus to Spot and Listen checks, which is included in the stat block above.

Cornugon
2006-09-14, 09:33 AM
While it does need a challenge rating, I think this is a terriby nice creature, and something that is ghastly and evil is somewhat needed in the book.

I do have a few things I think need to be corrected, though. For one, there is no save DC listed for the swarm distraction ability. The other is just an advisement of changing the Enviroment to Temperate Forests or something more common to the general D&D entries.

Still, I really like this, so without further fuss

MitP Vote: Yes!

belboz
2006-09-14, 03:29 PM
Thanks! I will fix the "Environment" tag, figure out the DC for swarm traits, and put a note in the top post about CR. The reason no CR is specified is that I'm *terrible* at figuring out CRs, *especially* for creatures that have synergistic abilities (for example, immunity from weapon damage + resist energy 3x/day).

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-15, 10:41 AM
Well, though the crunch needs a serious overhaul, the concept is great, and I like the abilities.

belboz
2006-09-15, 01:52 PM
Well, though the crunch needs a serious overhaul, the concept is great, and I like the abilities.

Thanks! What sort of overhaul does the crunch need? Does it have too many/few hit dice for its powers? Have I miscalculated somthing?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-15, 02:16 PM
Thanks! What sort of overhaul does the crunch need? Does it have too many/few hit dice for its powers? Have I miscalculated somthing?
Well, not so much miscaculated in some instances as not been included at all.

#1. Hit Dice are 10d6. Need to show the average hit dice. To determine this turn the 6 to 3.5. D10 HD becomes 5.5, D8 4.5... always half the number plus .5.

Multiply this by the number of Hit Dice. In this instance, 10. So 3.5 x 10 = 35. If they had bonus hit points from their constitution modifier you'd add them afterward.

So in the entry it should read:
Hit Dice: 10d6 (35 hp)

#2. Under special qualities you should have 'immunity to weapon damage', because swarms made of Fine or Dimunitive creatures are always comprised of so many individuals you can't hit enough of them normally to lower their collective HP.

#3. Nit pick, but: Saves: +3 Fort, +14 Ref, +8 Will

Should be: Saves Fort +3, Ref +14, Will +8

#4. You don't have to make Lightning Reflexes a bonus feat, it gets four feats normal. 1st, 3rd, 6th, and 9th.

#5. After feats the stat block gets kinda wonky. Needs to be:

Environment:
Organization:
Challenge Rating:
Treasure:
Alignment:
Advancement:
Level Adjustment:

#6. Challenge Rating I put at maybe 5.

#7. "St. Dymphna’s Rings have a +2 racial bonus to Spot and Listen checks. "

This would be listed beneath everything else under Skills:

#8. "Overcome magic DR" is usually just mentioned under Combat after its basic strategy is listed.

'A St. Dymphna's Ring's swarm attack is considered magical for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.'

belboz
2006-09-15, 06:43 PM
Thanks! Better?