PDA

View Full Version : Evil Island needs a name!

poxjedi
2009-02-22, 04:46 AM
I'm slowly getting to work on a campaign setting. I tried one of these before, but I was about 25% of the way done when the ongoing game I was running which featured it died horribly.

The campaign setting is is an island somewhere in the Pacific ocean where nazis and PCs get shipwrecked. King Kong plus Indiana jones divided by Gorillas and evil Natives. It's all Dinosaurs eating Nazis, basically.

So this island needs a good name. It has to be foreboding, but not necessarily evil. Bonus points if the name sounds good in a German accent.

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-22, 04:54 AM
Isle of VonRasch Could fit here.

sigurd
2009-02-22, 06:46 AM
Why not make it the island of Pox-Jhedi....

Used by natives as a place to exile their criminals and war captives.

Sigurd

Athaniar
2009-02-22, 07:53 AM
Sleshtsel?

From Schlechte Insel, which is (supposed to be) german for "Evil Island".

Debihuman
2009-02-22, 09:40 AM
Todes Insel (a German translation of Death Island). It's not terribly imaginative, but unless your players know German, it probably works.

Debby

sigurd
2009-02-22, 12:50 PM
Poutana Dentes

Whores teeth (With no particular regard for the rules of any language :) )

Thane of Fife
2009-02-22, 01:11 PM
Totenkopf is German for Skull, which could work very well.

But this (http://www.dict.cc/?s=skull+island) website's pretty cool. Not only can you translate to German, but it'll say most words for you.

Fredthefighter
2009-02-22, 01:17 PM
How about "Schädel von Schmerzen" which means Skull of Pain according to google translator.

Rutskarn
2009-02-22, 01:21 PM
Krallefaust: Clawfist.

Also, there's a saying in English and German "Red in tooth and claw", which refers to the practice of predators in covering themselves with blood after a kill.

According to a dictionary, the adjective for this is Blutrünstig.

So, Blutrünstig Insel is my suggestion.

Ravens_cry
2009-02-22, 01:41 PM
Insel Blut stien
Island Blood Stone
Stecken Riff
Stuck Reef
Töricht schlaf
Foolish Harbour.

poxjedi
2009-02-26, 12:57 AM
thanks for the suggestions. Some of them sound a bit silly (Schädel von Schmerzen, whilst not inherently silly, will surely draw a lot of player jokes about Schmerzen this and Schmezen that...) others are awesome, but hold no real meaning (Krallefaust might make a good name for a villain, though). Totenkopf isn't such a bad name, but I'm desperately trying to avoid using the word skull anywhere in the campaign setting, it already bears such a strong resemblance to Skull Island of King Kong.

Töricht schlaf/Foolish Harbour is really cool, I like the sense of being trapped and unable to escape.

thegurullamen
2009-02-26, 01:18 AM
Tanhauser's Gate because...come on!