PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Adventure I designed. Comments?

WingedHorse
2009-02-22, 07:18 AM
I don't know if this belongs more here or to homebrew...

So... This is an adventure I plan to start my 3.5 FR campaign with. It is designed for 4th level party. As I did something unusual for me and actually wrote it down I decided to post it here for comments. So, if anyone has interest to read it through and comment, go ahead. Naturally if anyone else wants to use it, I'd be flattered. It begins in a generic city of Flonn in eastern Aglarond.

The Hook

The PCs have heard that a local elven noble, Merilon Algar, is looking to hire a few able men.

Knowledge(Local: Aglarond) or gather information checks can reveal them that Algar is quite respected noble family in eastern Aglarond (DC 10). They have gotten rich by trading luxury goods and several well known war heroes have hailed from their line (DC 15). In the city of Flonn they are semi-officially in charge of the city's safety and defense (DC 20).

When they arrive to the Algar's mansion – a huge, three stories high building that is surrounded by a large yard and stone wall around it – they meet two guards at the gates. The guards are armed with spears and wooden shields with golden spear (symbol of the Algar family) painted to them. When PCs tell them why they have arrived, the guards knock to the gates to summon a servant.

If the PCs seem unsuitable to meet a noble (poor clothes, unwashed skin, bad manners) a diplomacy check (DC 15) is in place. If PCs come at unorthodox time (such as late at night) and Merilon needs to be waken to meet them, PCs need to succeed in diplomacy check (DC 20) or they are asked to come back at other time. They also have to leave their weapons (though not armor) to the guards or succeed in even harder diplomacy check (DC 25).

The servant takes the PCs through the yard filled with gardens, gazebos and other decorations and to the main building. They are taken to a large room with a lit fireplace, a table and cozy chairs. Paintings (value 400gp each, Appraise DC 20) of historical wars decorate the walls. After a moment of waiting they see an elven man dressed in high quality silk walk in. He is eloquent and well mannered but his age is difficult to tell. With him comes another elven man equipped with two shortswords. He stays at the door and doesn't speak anything. While Merilon never introduces him, it is easy to guess that he is a personal bodyguard (8th level ranger).

The elven man (Aristocrat 8/Wizard 4) introduces himself as Merilon Algar. He tells the PCs that one of his less guarded merchant caravans had to turn back and return to the city after they saw an owlbear that blocked the road. They had been traveling two days south from Flonn. Merilon wants PCs to get rid of the owlbear. He explains that owlbears themselves aren't rare in the area but the company stationed in a small wooden fort a week's travel towards south usually takes care of them. As such, Merilon has a bad feeling of the whole issue and wishes the PCs to also find out if there are problems at the fort.

For getting rid of the owlbear he promises the party 1200gp and 800 more if they visit the fort to find out if there are any problems. He makes it very clear that if the party will face more difficulties than just the owlbear and traveling, he can afford to significantly raise the reward.

Traveling

After about two days on foot, the party meets the owlbear.

Little mystery to it, the owlbear is common for it's type and has just wandered to the area. It is quite aggressive. Slaying the owlbear is fine but if the PCs have any more cunning means of overcoming it (charming, using animal empathy or such) they all count as overcoming the owlbear for full XP and money. The important thing is that after the encounter, the owlbear no longer blocks the road (Wounding it and letting it escape is not enough as the owlbear will lick it's wounds and return later. If this happens, the PCs will meet the owlbear on their way back again).

One more day of travel the PCs see a rat swarm on the road. This encounter should be something that they will find quite easy to overcome. Because of this encounter the PCs should notice the bodies these creatures were feasting on.

At the side of the road are nine partially eaten dead bodies – some humans, some half-elves. Based on their equipment and uniforms they were some sort of a patrol. If examining the bodies the PCs can find out that they have been dead for a while (DC 15 heal check reveals it to be three days). It is more difficult to tell as the bodies have been partially eaten but heal check (DC 18) is enough to understand that they were killed in a fight, mostly from arrow wounds. If the PCs decide to search the area, survival or search check (DC 18) reveals that there have been some broken arrows and two dead orcs (also partially eaten and killed in fight) hidden nearby. With it they can also find a lot tracks by a group consisting of about half a dozen humanoids (note: seven orcs) in the area and the tracks seem to lead further south. None of the bodies have anything valuable left on them.

Two days of more travel to south is a small orc camp (6 standard orcs and a 3rd level orc barbarian). It is slightly at the side of the road so it is well visible from the road but not from a long distance. The orcs commonly have someone watching the road so if the PCs just travel the road normally the orcs likely notice them before they notice the orcs. The orcs won't try to negotiate and none will try to escape as long as their leader is alive.

If any of them are captured and interrogated (By winning intimidate or by convincing them that they can leave alive if they cooperate) they can tell that they are part of an orc tribe from further east. Some human apparently made an agreement with their tribe's leader to rent a lot of warriors (the orcs don't know exact amount but it seems to be over a hundred) from the tribe. This group was ordered to make sure no humans or elves use this road and they neither know or care about anything more.

The barbarian has his masterwork weapon and three potions (two CMW and one Bull's Strength) if he didn't drink them during the fight. In addition there are 200gp. If the PCs examine the potions closely, Knowledge(Local: Thay) DC 12, Knowledge(Arcana) DC 15 or Knowledge(Nobility & Royalty) DC 18 reveals that the symbol in their seals is the same one that marks all items created in Thayan enclaves. The barbarian will, if specifically asked, tell that he was given them by the tribe leader.

Two more days of traveling south, the PCs arrive to the wooden fort.

The fort

The fort consists of a large triangular wooden palisade surrounding barracks, storages, kitchen, a well and similar buildings. There are soldiers trying to fix the large holes in the walls – there are several of them and the wall has fallen completely on a few sections. The soldiers look happy to see the PCs though the mood overall is very low. Some of the soldiers will take the PCs to their current commander.

Lieutenant Katriel (Female Half-Elf Fighter 3) is the highest in command who is still alive. She is sleeping in the barracks when they arrive (unless the PCs arrive during the night for some reason) but will be waken up when they come to see her. She explains the PCs that the fort has been assaulted by orcs several times during the last few nights. A lot of the company's manpower is dead or wounded and she is not certain that they will last through this night.

They would have abandoned the fort if not for their wounded who would not be able to make the trip. As such, they have accepted their fate and chosen to at least make the orcs pay heavily. If they only could decimate the orcs enough it might be enough to delay the orcs' next attack for a while. This would let them time to send a messenger for help now that the roads are clear. Desperate for help, she will ask or even beg the PCs to help. She is confident that they would be rewarded well for their help if they survive. In case someone in the party stands out in willingness to help and upcoming battles, she might even take romantic interest. With quite easy diplomacy check (DC 15) she will give the party any common potions totaling up to 1500gp

There are three groups of soldiers left. Katriel has planned for one to defend the barracks with wounded and two more to man the walls with her and shoot as many orcs as possible. If the PCs have some cunning plan, they might be able to convince Katriel to order them differently (up to DM discretion). For most of the fight, these groups should only be visible in background descriptions: There are a lot of standard orc warriors that fight these groups and are being shot at by them. It happens in the background with little to do with the more standing out fights that PCs are involved in. PCs could get an arrow volley or two of fire support or help from Katriel herself if they are in a lot of trouble but this might result in a small XP penalty. Alternatively, if PCs choose to help the soldiers at some point, spending their valuable resources for that, it should result in a small XP and monetary bonus.

There will be a massive attack during the night with orcs coming from everywhere. These encounters could happen where ever PCs are or stand out so well (especially the last one) that PCs run to the place they are happening in. Likely most of these will happen in or near the large holes in the walls. The PCs should be given a few rounds to drink potions and heal between the encounters. The fight doesn't pause but there aren't any encounters significant enough to stand out near them.

The first encounter consists of 8 standard orcs charging the party. It is the common scene on the battlefield and should be quite easy to plow through but might cost a few HP or spells.

The second encounter consists of 6 goblins and an ogre. The goblins will try to harass spellcasters, flank, aid the ogre and be overall annoying.

The third encounter consists of a 3rd level wizard and his two bugbear bodyguards. The wizard will first try to hamper melee characters by ray of enfeeblement, greasing weapons or the like to give bugbears an advantage in combat. He'll then cast a a few second level spells (such as hideous laughter or blindness) to disable some of them. He may have a few scrolls so spells per day is not set to stone. If he doesn't seem to be on the winning side at this point, he will retreat further away, throw a few magic missiles and escape. He won't risk his life so he might escape even earlier with the help of potion of invisibility if necessary.

Last but not least, the PCs see a hill giant climbing over the walls. If the rest of the orcs see the giant die, they will retreat.

The Aftermath

The orcs won't have manpower or guts to attack in a while and the company can send for help. Two days after the word reaches Flonn they will receive cavalry reinforcements. Any captured orcs will tell tale similar to the orcs that were on the road. Some will have more potions made in Thayan enclaves. Overall there will not be a lot of loot. The PCs could receive misc items (potions, money found, etc.) worth about 800 gp if they look into it (either by looting bodies or asking Katriel for a share).

The PCs shouldn't be able to capture or kill the wizard but if they do, he won't be wearing red robes but his shaved head and eyebrows and tattoos will link him to Thay. If interrogated by the PCs he will refuse to reveal anything even if threatened but if the PCs have some way of absolutely forcing information out of him (such as rolling so high that you just have to give him something) he will reveal that he did get his orders from a red wizard (conjurer, if pressed for details) he traveled with around the border but has no idea where the said wizard is now.

When they return to the Algar mansion, Merilon will be very glad of them and reward them well, giving the party 12'000gp. They will be awarded 16'000 XP. ((Note: Based on CR and EL of encounters, rewards of all listen encounters would total 10'800 gp and 12'200 XP. As you notice, the party is awarded some more XP and will gain a slightly more money on the adventure. This is to take account achievement, quest and roleplaying XP and the extra money for that XP to keep their wealth up to their level.))

Encounters while traveling to the fort:
-Owlbear (EL 4, 1200 XP)
-Rat swarm (EL 2, 600 XP)
-6 Orcs and one 3rd level orc barbarian (EL 5, 2600 XP)

Encounters while defending the fort:
-8 Orcs (EL 4, 1200 XP)
-6 Goblins and an ogre (EL 5, 1400 XP)
-2 Bugbears and a 3rd level human wizard (EL 6, 2000 XP)
-Hill giant (EL 7. 3200 XP)

Greymane
2009-02-22, 08:38 AM
By and large, I like it. One thing I haven't noticed though, is what level the players should be for this. Four to six, maybe?

The only thing I would really change around is making most of the elves half-elves, but that's because it's Aglarond, and I'd prefer to show the players how different these half-elves in this land act on account of there being such a large number of them there. This is purely fluff, and preference from DM to DM, though.

My one fault in evaluating this, however, is that my experience with modules and published adventures is... shockingly nil, insofar that nobody in our group uses them. At all, really.

But as far as I can tell, nice work, thanks for sharing. It opens things up to more adventures, which is always welcome.

Edit: Hm, one thing it might be missing, is that when I've actually read over some modules, there's separate boxed text for you to read aloud to the players; and typically, important NPCs (like the red wizard for the finale) have their stat block out and memorized spells with an inventory. Not sure if that's how it's always handled, though. Heck, not sure if you're even allowed to put that up online. :smallconfused:

WingedHorse
2009-02-22, 09:07 AM
By and large, I like it. One thing I haven't noticed though, is what level the players should be for this. Four to six, maybe?

Ah. Meant for fourth level. Forgot to mention it but I'll edit that to the original post.

The only thing I would really change around is making most of the elves half-elves, but that's because it's Aglarond, and I'd prefer to show the players how different these half-elves in this land act on account of there being such a large number of them there. This is purely fluff, and preference from DM to DM, though.

You might be correct... I'll change a few mentions of elves to half elves. Will edit that, too.

My one fault in evaluating this, however, is that my experience with modules and published adventures is... shockingly nil, insofar that nobody in our group uses them. At all, really.

Yeah. Well, I haven't run much modules either (sometimes read a few). :D

But as far as I can tell, nice work, thanks for sharing. It opens things up to more adventures, which is always welcome.

Thanks

Edit: Hm, one thing it might be missing, is that when I've actually read over some modules, there's separate boxed text for you to read aloud to the players; and typically, important NPCs (like the red wizard for the finale) have their stat block out and memorized spells with an inventory. Not sure if that's how it's always handled, though. Heck, not sure if you're even allowed to put that up online. :smallconfused:

Yeah... Well, I probably should make those if I find the time. :D

Thanks for the feedback

Fenix_of_Doom
2009-02-22, 09:19 AM
I like it as well, it seems easily adaptable enough, which is a plus in my mind because I usually play in a home-brewed setting.

The only thing that is unclear to me is the wizards race, I assumed orc, but an orc wizard is a bit, um, sub-par.

arguskos
2009-02-22, 09:22 AM
It is implied the wizard is a Red Wizard of Thay, meaning human, since in the Realms, Red Wizards are ALWAYS human. :smallwink:

Also, I like the detail and presentation. Looks great, will you be posting more?

WingedHorse
2009-02-22, 09:59 AM
The wizard is indeed human, due to being red wizard (though he doesn't wear red robes as he has been somewhat undercover.). I could add that as a mention somewhere.

Thanks for the compliments.

And well.. I could post more when I get the next part written down. It would take some hours more though and I don't have those right now. Actually, I shouldn't have "wasted time" to this, nor should I be here on the forums, seeing how much school work I got to do. Damn college, stealing my precious time...

That said, I could try to spend some time on next part on... Perhaps Tuesday. I can post that here too, if you wish.

Narmoth
2009-02-22, 11:46 AM
Good. Seems fair. But it's very streamlined, making thoughts wander towards railroading

WingedHorse
2009-02-22, 01:15 PM
Good. Seems fair. But it's very streamlined, making thoughts wander towards railroading

That is true. Though I don't know how could one make adventures similar to this anything else than streamlined...

One thing I considered would be that after beating the orc encounter the PCs would find a body of one messenger that was intercepted while trying to take a message to the city. If they would find a message explaining the situation they could then at least decide whether to continue to the fort or return to deliver the message. I gave up that idea because I didn't quite know how to deal with it if they chose the latter.

Going with the existing description it would mean that by the time they get to the fort after having gotten more help the fort would have been overrun. It might then put the PCs in a situation where they have more help but instead need to assault the fort to kill the orcs and rescue the slaves the orcs have taken.

Any thoughts on that idea? Or more ideas on how to make it less streamlined?