PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfire adept

DUSUCK
2009-02-22, 11:52 AM
Me and my two brothers are playing an epic level 30 forgotten realms campaign. I am playing a level 30 kobald dragonfire adept. My problem is I focus on my breath weapon but I don't feel it's strong enough (13d6) Are there any feats in particular that would enhance it? Almost any book is allowed as my DM has them all. Including some dragon magazines, anything that increases the ref DC or the damage that my breath would do would be awesome!

sonofzeal
2009-02-22, 12:06 PM
Entangling Exhalation (or something like that). Automatically stick your targets to the ground for 1d4 rounds with no save! Costs you half your damage on that breath, but well worth it. Follow up with Five-Fold Breath the next round for pwnage.

InkEyes
2009-02-22, 12:07 PM
You might want to look at metabreath feats in the Draconomicon; some DMs won't allow you to take those feats unless your breath weapon has a time between breaths that's expressed in rounds, but there are two ways to get around this:

1. The Dragonborn Identity
This is a sneaky one. By taking the Dragonborn template, a DFA can grab him or herself a breath weapon with a recharge period that’s expressed in rounds. This, of course, qualifies such DFAs for metabreath feats. Since, the argument goes, there is no clause about metabreath feats which explicitly prevents them from being applied to a breath weapon which does not have a recharge rate expressed in rounds, the Dragonborn DFA can then take metabreath feats and apply those to his or her breath weapon. The obvious counter-argument, of course, is that this is clearly a case of using the letter of the law to circumvent its intention – the classic “RAI” vs. “RAW” debate.

2. Power Surge!
This is my new find, and my favorite end-run for obtaining metabreath feats. Power Surge is a feat in the Beholder section of Dragon #313, which allows you to modify a supernatural ability (one that has a minimum of 3/day uses) in a number of ways:

* You can increase the damage by +1 per die
* Increase the DC by +1
* Increase the duration by +50% (not applicable to effects with an instantaneous duration)

But, best of all, it forces you to wait one round before using the ability again. Why is that important? Because, taking it means that you now have a breath weapon with a recharge rate expressed in rounds, which opens up all of the breath weapon FEATS from Draconomicon! Best of all, it can’t be argued with – it works perfectly, both in terms of RAI and RAW.

This (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=780301) thread as a whole is a good guide to making Dragonfire Adepts, so it might be worth a read.

Asbestos
2009-02-22, 12:13 PM
There is a pendant or something in the Magic Item Compendium that's pretty much a must have for Dragonfire Adepts, I think it boosts the DC and the damage for breath weapons.

@Inkeyes: It is pretty easy to say that you are using the metabreath feats to modify the breath weapon gained from being a Dragonborn, rather than the one gained from the DfA class. So, sure you could take them, but they'd only really apply to your weaker breath weapon.

InkEyes
2009-02-22, 12:32 PM
Becoming a dragonborn is only the first method mentioned in the post I quoted from the Wizards forum and it's openly stated that it's a very sketchy way of getting metabreath. The second method involves taking a feat from Dragon Magazine. Personally, I don't entirely trust Dragon Magazine for game balance, but it's up to the OP's DM to decided what's in or out.

DUSUCK
2009-02-22, 12:48 PM
You might want to look at metabreath feats in the Draconomicon; some DMs won't allow you to take those feats unless your breath weapon has a time between breaths that's expressed in rounds, but there are two ways to get around this:

This (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=780301) thread as a whole is a good guide to making Dragonfire Adepts, so it might be worth a read.

yeah my DM dosen't let me use meta breath feats on my breath with no cooldown thanks for the thread it should help

DUSUCK
2009-02-22, 02:28 PM

yeah my DM dosen't let me use meta breath feats on my breath with no cooldown thanks for the thread it should help

DUSUCK
2009-02-22, 02:43 PM

Draz74
2009-02-22, 03:42 PM
There is a pendant or something in the Magic Item Compendium that's pretty much a must have for Dragonfire Adepts, I think it boosts the DC and the damage for breath weapons.

Dragon Spirit Cincture, a belt for 2000 gp. Not going to make a huge difference at Epic levels, though. (But then, OTOH, at Epic levels it's practically free -- even to add it to an existing magical belt for 3000 gp.)

dyslexicfaser
2009-02-22, 04:50 PM
Did you not take the Fivefold Breath of Tiamat at level 15?

A full round action to hit people with 5 13d6 breaths, three lines and two cones (fire, cold, lightning, acid, and sonic, I think?) at the cost of a small handful of d4s to yourself.

Discorporating Breath of That Other Dragon Guy is pitiful in comparison.

Also, if you take two levels of Heir of Syberis, you can take a feat called Breath of Syberis that adds on another 2d6 to your breath.

Keld Denar
2009-02-22, 05:31 PM
DFA doesn't really scale well into epic levels. Then again, any class that can't take Epic Spellcasting doesn't scale well in epic levels, but DFI's even more, simply because there isn't a lot of support for them.

Something that might be useful though, is in the Dragonlance Campaign Setting. Flyby Attack + Flyby Breath + Strafing Breath is useful for laying down large swaths of destruction, if that is your goal.

Dragonfire Adepts are really good in the 1-10 level range, decent at the 11-15 level range, and pretty weak at the 16+ range. Thats just the way it is, unfortunately.

JeminiZero
2009-02-22, 08:11 PM
DFA doesn't really scale well into epic levels. Then again, any class that can't take Epic Spellcasting doesn't scale well in epic levels, but DFI's even more, simply because there isn't a lot of support for them.

Agreed. Perhaps one possible solution is to ask if your DM will allow you access to the warlocks invocation list, and let you qualify for the Epic Warlock Feats (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20061027a). Not all epic warlock feats are applicable (like Eldritch Sculptor and Lord of Essences) but some would help reduce the suckiness of not having epic spellcasting (most notably Shadow Master).

On a related note, see if your DM will let you use Morphene Savant to qualify for Epic Spellcasting later on. Among all the epic Warlock abilities it is the only one that seems to grant you level 9 spells. (It says you get PW-Kill usable as a standrad action. It doesn't say it is an SLA, so it defaults to being an actual spell).