PDA

View Full Version : Mental Finesse[Feat]

TheOOB
2006-09-14, 11:19 PM
Mental Finesse[General]
Through intense mental training you are able to use your mind rather then your body when aimming your spells or powers
Prerequisite: Caster Level 1 or Manifester Level 1
Benefit: Whenever you cast a spell or manifest a power that requires an attack roll you may use the ability modifier that would determine the spell or powers save DC (whether or not the spell or power allows saves) instead of your strength or dexterity modifier on the attack roll

EDIT: Fixed Formatting and added psionics
EDIT: Clarity

Halcyon_Dax
2006-09-14, 11:20 PM
I really like this.

*Stamp of Approval*

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-14, 11:31 PM
^: Ditto.

LordOfNarf
2006-09-15, 12:07 AM
What they said ^^

Feats in the Playground Vote: Yes

Seriously, someone should set up a project like that

Fizban
2006-09-15, 01:19 AM
What them dudes said.

As for Feats in the playground, I have a feeling that once MitP is finished, the next itP may be Characters in the Playground or some such. Feats, spells, classes, a few races, just like a nice complete book, but for everything.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-09-15, 09:30 AM
Complete Playgrounder?

ilovefire
2006-09-15, 12:48 PM
Only if there's a subchapter in it called Complete Drunkard for all those boozer PrCs that surfaced awhile back. No, i'm not biased. I swear. Just because I made the second one.

On topic: This Feat has REcieved the ILF Stamp of Firey Approval

zad101
2006-09-15, 01:07 PM
Good job, simple yet it allows a much higher chance of destroying those puny goody goody PCs when given to the BBEG caster.
This Feat Is Approved by the Chaotic Evil Goatmen Association

Raum
2006-09-15, 01:33 PM
Mental Finesse[General]
Through intense mental training you are able to use your mind rather then your body when aimming your spells or powers
Prerequisite: Caster Level 1 or Manifester Level 1
Benefit: Whenever you cast a spell or manifest a power that requires an attack roll you may use the ability modifier that would determine the spell or powers save DC (whether or not the spell or power allows saves) instead of your strength or dexterity modifier on the attack roll
It seems potentially overpowered at higher levels. With the exception of monks, touch AC doesn't scale. For example, a 20th level wizard with a BAB of 10 and a 20 Intelligence (probably low, but higher only makes it worse) will have at least a +15 to hit. He's not going to miss anything other than a monk unless he rolls a 1.

TheOOB
2006-09-15, 03:10 PM
It seems potentially overpowered at higher levels. With the exception of monks, touch AC doesn't scale. For example, a 20th level wizard with a BAB of 10 and a 20 Intelligence (probably low, but higher only makes it worse) will have at least a +15 to hit. He's not going to miss anything other than a monk unless he rolls a 1.

At high levels you pretty much never miss with touch attacks anyways, as most characters touch AC at high levels is around 16-18ish, so spending a feat slot that changes almost never misses to virtually never misses doesn't seem to be that big of an impact IMO. This feat really helps out at low levels when the base 10 touch AC can be difficult to bypass in and of itself, not to mention size, dex, and deflection bonuses.

In any case, this feat is powerful, but not overly so (once agian IMO), it's still a good deal less powerful then great feats like quicken spell, sculpt spell, empower spell and so on.