PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Diety stats

Froogleyboy
2009-02-22, 04:35 PM
One of my players used a wish spell to travel to the demonweb pits and he is tracking down lolth because he wants to battle her. Does anyone have any ideas for some stats for her.

Saintjebus
2009-02-22, 04:37 PM
You might want to pick up Deities and Demigods. Even if it doesn't have exact stats for Lolth, it will give you a place to start to make them up.

Innis Cabal
2009-02-22, 04:37 PM
They are in Demigods and Deities and Faiths and Pantheons.

Unless he is way past epic and has friends, he'll die. Pure and simple

Froogleyboy
2009-02-22, 04:39 PM
I know he will surely die but I think it will be funny =)

Innis Cabal
2009-02-22, 04:40 PM
Then make them up? No point in using stats you won't bother needing. It will be over in two rounds.

Kyouhen
2009-02-22, 04:45 PM
Then make them up? No point in using stats you won't bother needing. It will be over in two rounds.

Less. A god can sense anything within an area measured in miles, as well as anything where it's name is spoken.

"Ok guys, there's Lolth's cast-OH GODS WHY?!?!?!"

Innis Cabal
2009-02-22, 04:46 PM
Its miles per divine rank, if she is 60 miles away, and she is at the casting of the wish, then he's safe. As soon as he gets to her area it will take a single turn for her to get to him. And then another turn for her to reduce him to nothing. So, 2 turns.

Frosty
2009-02-22, 04:57 PM
Will the Mindblank and Non-Detection spells help, especially if the character in question also has great Hide/Move Silently modifiers and possible has Hide in Plain Sight?

Kurald Galain
2009-02-22, 05:05 PM
Will the Mindblank and Non-Detection spells help, especially if the character in question also has great Hide/Move Silently modifiers and possible has Hide in Plain Sight?

Depends on what level we're talking about, but probably not.

Kyouhen
2009-02-22, 05:09 PM
Its miles per divine rank, if she is 60 miles away, and she is at the casting of the wish, then he's safe. As soon as he gets to her area it will take a single turn for her to get to him. And then another turn for her to reduce him to nothing. So, 2 turns.

Bah! I forgot that the thing that lets them see who said their name is a standard action. Ok, so at least two rounds. I can see a nice epic effect here. First round she sees him. Second round she uses a miracle to carve a nice clear area through any terrain between her and him. Have him standing by a mountain when this happens just so you can have a tunnel suddenly open up in it. Third round she uses a custom spell that fires a ray that inflicts horrible death on any enemy she can see and point at. Laugh as anyone else with him freak out about what just happened.

Or you could just have her use miracle to kill the guy. He says one sentence involving killing Lolth, then the next round a hole opens in the ground and swallows him before closing. Again, laugh as anyone else with him freaks out about what just happened.

Whatever you do though, make sure his character doesn't live through it. Also make it very clear that saying anything about killing a particular god is a quick way to get yourself killed. He thinks he can take a god, show everyone what happens when you try. :smallbiggrin:

Starbuck_II
2009-02-22, 05:16 PM
One of my players used a wish spell to travel to the demonweb pits and he is tracking down lolth because he wants to battle her. Does anyone have any ideas for some stats for her.

Wish?
So he should be high level enough to have Death ward cast on him: don't want to lose due to her death spells.

Heroes Feat woud make him immune to fear/poison.

And Mindblank/Protection from evil to block mental issues.

Kyouhen
2009-02-22, 05:20 PM
Wish?
So he should be high level enough to have Death ward cast on him: don't want to lose due to her death spells.

Heroes Feat woud make him immune to fear/poison.

And Mindblank/Protection from evil to block mental issues.

This is assuming he cast the Wish himself.

Froogleyboy
2009-02-22, 05:23 PM
she's been planning this since he multiclassed to wizard (last year) she is prepared to kill her get killed by her. she is a multiclass cleric (of lolth) and a wizard and since drows kill those who they respect....

Kyouhen
2009-02-22, 05:30 PM
she's been planning this since he multiclassed to wizard (last year) she is prepared to kill her get killed by her. she is a multiclass cleric (of lolth) and a wizard and since drows kill those who they respect....

Wait, she's a cleric of Lolth? Oh snap, then Lolth already knows she wants to fight her. Ok, so here's what happens. First have her lose her cleric abilities. Nothing too fancy, just have her realize she has no more power. Then have an Umbral Blot appear where she's standing. Lolth used a miracle to put it there. It then vanishes the instant she's dead. A nice and clean death so the other players just kind of stand there wondering what just happened. Make this happen when she takes her first step into Lolth's stronghold. Never actually let her see Lolth. :smalltongue:

martyboy74
2009-02-22, 05:53 PM
Lloth also know about anything that affects her domains <divineranks> weeks in advance. Her cleric trying to kill her probably falls into that, so the character is retroactively dead.

Kyouhen
2009-02-22, 06:03 PM
Lloth also know about anything that affects her domains <divineranks> weeks in advance. Her cleric trying to kill her probably falls into that, so the character is retroactively dead.

Actually, by RAW in Deities and Demigods Lolth isn't powerful enough for that. But that's only by RAW, which assumes the OP has the book anyway. :smallamused:

monty
2009-02-22, 06:05 PM

I think you mean "preemptively," but other than that, you're probably right.

Douglas
2009-02-22, 06:55 PM
Actually, by RAW in Deities and Demigods Lolth isn't powerful enough for that. But that's only by RAW, which assumes the OP has the book anyway. :smallamused:
The Deities and Demigods stats for her are out of date. If your campaign is set after the War of the Spider Queen series, she has ascended to the ranks of Greater deities (or so Wikipedia says, I haven't actually read that series) and therefore does have the ability to sense portfolio related events in advance.

However, keep in mind that this ability is limited to just the time and location of the event, and checking into it to learn more requires a standard action to use the Remote Sensing power. Considering the frequency of events related to a greater deity's portfolio, it strikes me as unlikely that she bothers to investigate every such event. If the character is careful to arrange things so that all of the planning and assassination occurs in locations where events related to Lolth's portfolio are common it may go unnoticed, dismissed as part of the background chatter.

Aquillion
2009-02-22, 07:09 PM
However... the fact that the PC is a priestess of Lolth trying to kill her out of faith does change things a bit. In that case, there's a chance Lolth might merely be amused and spare her. I mean, it's Lolth, who knows how she thinks.

...alright, so it's not very likely.

Lappy9000
2009-02-22, 07:53 PM
One of my players used a wish spell to travel to the demonweb pits and he is tracking down lolth because he wants to battle her. Does anyone have any ideas for some stats for her.Well, I'd say just build a rough framework of her stats. What level is the character in question? If you're not expecting this battle to go on long, just head to the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/) (Read "Divine Rules" right under the "Psionic Rules" section) and Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolth) for inspiration.

I'm assuming the player knows it's a suicide mission, yes? If not, she may be disappointed if she's killed within the first round of combat. Maybe tone down the goddess a little for full climactic effect (maybe Lolth is just toying with her), or possibly encourage the player to wait a few levels.

EDIT: At first I considered making some comment about diets, due to the spelling in the thread's title. I'll just say this (http://fc73.deviantart.com/fs6/i/2005/084/6/a/LOLth_by_eye_huntress.jpg) instead.

Kyouhen
2009-02-22, 08:21 PM
The Deities and Demigods stats for her are out of date. If your campaign is set after the War of the Spider Queen series, she has ascended to the ranks of Greater deities (or so Wikipedia says, I haven't actually read that series) and therefore does have the ability to sense portfolio related events in advance.

However, keep in mind that this ability is limited to just the time and location of the event, and checking into it to learn more requires a standard action to use the Remote Sensing power. Considering the frequency of events related to a greater deity's portfolio, it strikes me as unlikely that she bothers to investigate every such event. If the character is careful to arrange things so that all of the planning and assassination occurs in locations where events related to Lolth's portfolio are common it may go unnoticed, dismissed as part of the background chatter.

The stats are only as out of date as I want them to be. :smalltongue:

So then is there somewhere where I could find more up-to-date 3.5 rules for her or the other gods?

Belial_the_Leveler
2009-02-22, 09:13 PM
Here. Stats for a crapload of immortals.

http://dicefreaks.forumz.cc/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=59

Heliomance
2009-02-22, 09:35 PM
/hijack

Does anyone know where I could find stats for the Draconic pantheon? Your link only had Bahamut and Fazalure, Belial.

MickJay
2009-02-22, 10:00 PM
However... the fact that the PC is a priestess of Lolth trying to kill her out of faith does change things a bit. In that case, there's a chance Lolth might merely be amused and spare her. I mean, it's Lolth, who knows how she thinks.

I think this is quite likely the idea the player has - trying to prove devotion to the goddess and possibly counting on something of epic proportions happening/getting rewarded significantly.

The goddess might find it amusing, irritatingly stupid or anything in between - if I was the GM, I'd first try to read the player's actual intentions behind the whole "I'll try kill my deity to show my respect" thing.

Crow
2009-02-22, 10:54 PM
You could do what they do in Elder Evils and have your players face an aspect of Lolth.

magic9mushroom
2009-02-23, 03:23 AM
Well, if Lolth wants to kill him, he's all but dead. She has Alter Reality, after all. That gives her unlimited free Wishes and Miracles. She's also HD 60, has an AC of 73, has +53 Fort, +56 Ref, +62 Will saves and has SR 67. IE, nothing he can do will likely touch her, especially since deities don't autofail saves on nat 1. The only way I can see a non-epic killing her is an uberpimped caster (ie CL 70+) using Holy Word or Dictum out of the blue (ie before she can cast Greater Spell Immunity). And that assumes she doesn't have contingent True Res. And a cleric of Lolth can't get those spells anyway.

If Lolth doesn't want to kill him, he'll just get Alter Reality(Mindrape) to the face.

KillianHawkeye
2009-02-23, 01:02 PM
the whole "I'll try kill my deity to show my respect" thing.

Okay, WTF?? I know Drow society is pretty messed up, but why would a Cleric ever try to kill their own deity?? :smallconfused::smallconfused: This makes no sense, even for Drow.

chiasaur11
2009-02-23, 01:33 PM
Well, like it says in the Drow national anthem "We are a race of total bastards", Drow are a race of, well, total bastards.

Killing their gods for no good reason seems to fit right in.

MickJay
2009-02-23, 01:46 PM
Okay, WTF?? I know Drow society is pretty messed up, but why would a Cleric ever try to kill their own deity?? :smallconfused::smallconfused: This makes no sense, even for Drow.

That's why I said the DM should further investigate the player's motivation :smallbiggrin: if they are serious about this, it opens a lot of interesting possibilities. I'd start with taking away all of the clerical abilites as a hint that the goddes does not appreciate her cleric's particular sense of humour - or alternatively, they'd get some extra powers, which they could interpret as a mocking approval of their intent. The idea is radical enough to make for a great story (or a totally lame one, depending on how things work out).

Edge
2009-02-23, 01:57 PM
/hijack

Does anyone know where I could find stats for the Draconic pantheon? Your link only had Bahamut and Fazalure, Belial.

Kain Darkwind's Alternate World (http://dicefreaks.forumz.cc/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5) statistics include those of most of the Draconic Pantheon. Also, they're closer to the 3.5 assumption of deity power than Dicefreaks' standard of very high epic (as a benchmark, Kain's Asmodeus is CR 66 in Hell, compared to Dicefreaks' official version which stands at CR 81).

Kyouhen
2009-02-23, 01:58 PM
That's why I said the DM should further investigate the player's motivation :smallbiggrin: if they are serious about this, it opens a lot of interesting possibilities. I'd start with taking away all of the clerical abilites as a hint that the goddes does not appreciate her cleric's particular sense of humour - or alternatively, they'd get some extra powers, which they could interpret as a mocking approval of their intent. The idea is radical enough to make for a great story (or a totally lame one, depending on how things work out).

Now there's an idea. Throw her a fight that will drain all of her spells to make sure she waits around long enough to prepare new ones. Then have all of her spell slots taken up by Miracle. Have Lolth personally come down every time she casts Miracle and deny whatever she asks for.

PC: I cast Miracle to destroy that nation!
Lolth: Nah.
PC: Change the weather?
Lolth: Not happening.
PC: Cast Cure Minor Wounds?
Lolth: Nope.

Froogleyboy
2009-02-28, 02:11 AM
Ok for all who keep saying "why would she kill her deity?" When a drow respects someone they kill that person (read Drow of the underdark)