PDA

View Full Version : 81st Academy Award Results/Discussion

Sneak
2009-02-22, 06:12 PM
So, which movies will you be betting on tonight in your office/school/friend pool?

Here are some of my choices:

Motion Picture of the Year: Slumdog Millionaire
Achievement in Directing: Slumdog Millionaire/Danny Boyle
Best Animated Feature Film: Wall-E
Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Score): Slumdog Millionaire
Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Heath Ledger in "The Dark Knight"
Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Sean Penn in "Milk"

I guess this will also be the place to discuss results once they're made public.

afroakuma
2009-02-22, 06:47 PM
Motion Picture of the Year: Slumdog Millionaire
Achievement in Directing: Slumdog Millionaire/Danny Boyle
Best Animated Feature Film: Wall-E
Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Heath Ledger in "The Dark Knight"
Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Penélope Cruz in "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"
Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Sean Penn in "Milk"
Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Kate Winslet in "The Reader"

Assassin89
2009-02-22, 06:48 PM
I agree with Wall-E winning Best Animated Feature Film, but I do not care for the other categories

afroakuma
2009-02-23, 12:00 AM
Ho-HO called them all!!!

Granted, two of them were shoe-ins...

Mr._Blinky
2009-02-23, 12:18 AM
Yup, looks like Sneak and afroakuma were both 100% correct in their guesses. Bravo.

Sneak
2009-02-23, 12:24 AM
Woot woot! :smallbiggrin:

I have to say, I think I actually may have preferred Milk to Slumdog in some aspects, but they were both fine movies, and Slumdog did deserve the win. I wasn't really surprised, anyway. As you can see. :smalltongue:

I do have to wonder if Heath Ledger would've still won the Oscar if he were alive...but hey, he definitely deserved it.

kpenguin
2009-02-23, 12:51 AM
I did not care for Slumdog Millionaire and do not believe it should have won.

That is all.

Rogue 7
2009-02-23, 01:58 AM
I do.

That is all.

kpenguin
2009-02-23, 02:15 AM
Then we shall agree to disagree?

skywalker
2009-02-23, 02:23 AM
Woot woot! :smallbiggrin:

I have to say, I think I actually may have preferred Milk to Slumdog in some aspects, but they were both fine movies, and Slumdog did deserve the win. I wasn't really surprised, anyway. As you can see. :smalltongue: I really liked both films. However, I think Slumdog Millionaire was just that little bit better. I think it was cut a lot better. While I seem to like how Gus Van Sant directs, I don't seem to like his editing style. Also, Slumdog's music was much much better. And it was happy, for once.

I do have to wonder if Heath Ledger would've still won the Oscar if he were alive...but hey, he definitely deserved it.

I felt similarly when I finally saw the movie. I was convinced people had blown his performance out of proportion and that there was no way he deserved an oscar. Now, I don't know if someone was left out. But of the 5 nominees, he was a clear winner (and I loved Josh Brolin). So I think he would've won it, assuming he would've been nominated (which I think he might've been, they nominated Johnny Depp for POtC). I remembered tonight how great his performance was.

I did not care for Slumdog Millionaire and do not believe it should have won.

That is all.

Do you... have a reason?

Ethrael
2009-02-23, 02:36 AM
I thought that was a rather predictable outcome, with the only main surprise being Sean Penn.

And as for Heath Ledger, I can't say he didn't have an amazing performance. He managed to personify an unbelievably complicated character who many people adore and has been around for ages and still show flair with his acting. I think that is an achievement, others may think otherwise.

And congrats to Sneak and Afro for good guessing. :smallbiggrin:

kpenguin
2009-02-23, 06:51 AM
Do you... have a reason?

Not a concrete one, no. For me, its like a favorite color. I do not have a reason for liking green and blue over all other colors and much in the same fashion I do not have a reason for disliking Slumdog Millionaire. At least, not one that I can properly articulate at this time.

I will say that the Curious Case of Benjamin Button has my approval.

Sneak
2009-02-23, 09:39 AM
I think I liked the story and tone of Milk better, but, well, Slumdog had an undeniable style to it. It was technically brilliant: the cinematography was beautiful, and the sound/music was great. It definitely deserved those wins. It really was a beautiful film to watch.

There's just something about Milk that made me like it a bit more, though. I dunno.

Sean Penn did do an amazing job.

And I do think that Ledger deserved the award. He did give an incredible performance, after all. My only other choice would've been Brolin. It was just something I was thinking about, that's all.

SteveMB
2009-02-23, 09:50 AM
[COLOR="Sienna"]I thought that was a rather predictable outcome, with the only main surprise being Sean Penn.

I think it was really more an award for the movie as a consolation prize for being edged out of Best Picture than an award for Sean Penn per se.

RMS Oceanic
2009-02-23, 10:36 AM
I had a soft spot for Frank Langella and his CHEESHBURGERSH performance, so I'm kinda disappointed he didn't pick up a gong.

I'm also disappointed that WALL-E didn't pick up a Sound oscar. In a movie where sound does more heavy lifting than normal, being used to convey communication and emotion, the technical talent should be acknowledged. I can't help but wonder why The Dark Knight got best sound editing over it...

Raistlin1040
2009-02-23, 07:52 PM
I picked all five of the main catergories (Best Actor, Acrtress, Best Supporting Actor, Actress, Best Picture) correctly. I knew Slumdog Millionaire was going to win, even though I wanted Milk to win.

Allysian
2009-02-23, 07:56 PM
I loved ALLLLL of the musical performance stuffs. I thought it was amazing. That's all.

hanzo66
2009-02-24, 12:10 AM
I'm still quite amused of the irony of Robert Downey Jr. being nominated for his role in Tropic Thunder as essentially a parody of Oscar Bait-hungry actors who take overly dramatic roles for the Drama Cred (IE a majority of the nominees).

chiasaur11
2009-02-24, 12:26 AM
I'm still quite amused of the irony of Robert Downey Jr. being nominated for his role in Tropic Thunder as essentially a parody of Oscar Bait-hungry actors who take overly dramatic roles for the Drama Cred (IE a majority of the nominees).

Don't forget Kate Winslet in The Reader. Not too long after a role in Extras, where she plays herself, in a WW2 film, for the cheap Oscar grab.

zeratul
2009-02-24, 12:31 AM
I have to say I was rather disappointed by Bill Maher. I thought he came of as rather douchey, and a sore looser. Jables was funny as per usual though, and Seth Rogen was awesome.

bosssmiley
2009-02-24, 06:04 AM
Don't forget Kate Winslet in The Reader. Not too long after a role in Extras, where she plays herself, in a WW2 film, for the cheap Oscar grab.

Daily Mash said it best about Kate Dullslut (http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/celebrity/i%27ve-been-this-unbearable-since-i-was-eight,-says-winslet-200902231596/) :smallamused:

(confession time: I cannot tell her and Gwynneth Palid apart. They just don't register as individuals)

They made the right call on Heath Ledger. Any other winner would have been lynched by swarms of nerd raging Joker fans. :smallbiggrin:

St.Sinner
2009-02-24, 08:40 AM
I'm very happy that Sean Penn won; he was amazing. I just saw Milk this morning, and there was a documentary on Harvey Milk on earlier tonight. Sean Penn is slightly more handsome and charismatic than the real Milk, but it was a great resemblance and a striking portrayal. The movie was wonderful, but I've yet to see Slumdog to be able to compare.

skywalker
2009-02-27, 03:10 AM
I will say that the Curious Case of Benjamin Button has my approval.

I liked that movie too, but... It was neither the technical nor the "story" equal of Slumdog, in my opinion.

I think the irony was intentional...

And I do think that Ledger deserved the award. He did give an incredible performance, after all. My only other choice would've been Brolin. It was just something I was thinking about, that's all.

Josh Brolin was also very good in W. Unfortunately, he was not nominated for that.

I think it was really more an award for the movie as a consolation prize for being edged out of Best Picture than an award for Sean Penn per se.

I disagree. Have you seen the other films? I will admit that I have not seen F/N or The Wrestler, but Mickey Rourke's performance (in the previews) never struck me as the type Oscar audiences respond to. Not sure why. Sean definitely beat out Brad Pitt and Richard Jenkins, tho. Jenkins and Pitt both put on a good show, but I thought Penn's performance was incredible. He became Harvey Milk.

I have to say I was rather disappointed by Bill Maher. I thought he came of as rather douchey, and a sore looser. Jables was funny as per usual though, and Seth Rogen was awesome.

How much do you know about Bill Maher? He's always that way.

I'm also disappointed that WALL-E didn't pick up a Sound oscar. In a movie where sound does more heavy lifting than normal, being used to convey communication and emotion, the technical talent should be acknowledged. I can't help but wonder why The Dark Knight got best sound editing over it...

I completely agree.

LCR
2009-03-01, 05:38 AM
Aaaaand Waltz with Bashir lost. Dang.
What I really enjoyed (apart from Hugh Jackman) was that Cato guy. Quite the talented orator.