PDA

View Full Version : Post Apocalyptic D&D world 1.0

Guinea Anubis
2006-09-14, 09:49 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I have been putting the finale touches on my new D&D world.

In the year 2010 terrorists start a nuclear war that kills off 90% of the planet. This world takes place 7,000 years after that war where the polar Ice caps have melted. The world of today only exsists in myth, legends, and places shrouded in mystery like Stonehedge is today.

As for the races

Dwarves - They are the descendents of the "shut ins", they who went underground.

Gnomes - live in a giant flying city. They are descendents of the "floaters" they who whent out to sea. The ships would group together for protection and over time they made bridges between them and over even more time all these ships became a giant floating city and even in more time still it was made to fly.

Halflings - live on want is left of Australia where everything has become smaller becuse they live a small Island now.

Humans - Humans and broken down in to 3 groups. All 3 groups are treated as an under class or slaves and are rarly seen.

mutants - are the most commen kind of human seen some have magic like powers but most are just deformed. Most of them live around Mount Rushmore. They worship MR as there 4 headed god.

Nomads - the next group is the nomads (think conan) there is almost none of them left as most have been turned in to slaves.

Norms - humans more or less like us. There is only one city left and they/us harly ever leave it. There flag is dark green with 4 gold stars for there line of kings.

I have tryed to make each race make sense from an evolutionary stand point.

and last we have the Elves - are a group of aliens that there colony ship crashed here. They are the ones who brought magic to the world.

There is also a "class" that is not going to be a PC "class" Technomages - They try to uncover the history and lost technologies of the world. They all are magic users, they all us technologe (like guns) and are willing to use magic to power these lost technologies untill they can get them to work with out magic (like I have a Technomage NPC that uses guns but since he does not have real bullets yet he has clips with diffrent spells cast on them so when he pulls the triger the gun will cast the spell).

I have a ton of history for this world in a note book so Im not going to post it all. If you want to know something or have a question please ask I want to see how well this world will stand up to questions.

Telonius
2006-09-14, 10:41 AM
Will there be any mechanical differences for your Mutants? I'm thinking this could be a good candidate for half-orcs.

Guinea Anubis
2006-09-14, 11:02 AM
Will there be any mechanical differences for your Mutants? I'm thinking this could be a good candidate for half-orcs.

yes there was going to be.

Humans - Just like in the PHB (they can pay 10gp to get a mithral scroll that proves they are a free Human)

mutants - -2 Chr but get one 0 level spell 2/day as a spell like ability and a 10% chance they will get a one 1 level spell 1/day as a spell like ability, other then that they work just like humans in the PHB.

Nomads - get a +2 str -2Int other then that they are just like humans out of the PHB

Half Orcs and Halfs Elfs where not on my list becase there was no real changes to there history.

Telonius
2006-09-14, 12:00 PM
Ah, gotcha.

One thing about the world history part: you might want to reconsider the "nuclear war" angle. If there were actually a nuclear war, that would result in a nuclear winter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_winter), not global warming. The polar ice caps wouldn't melt. Some kind of biological or chemical (or maybe even nanotech) weapon would be a better way of mutating the population, while keeping the melted ice-cap thing. Chemical might be best, if you're looking for active places where people still can't go.

If the ice-cap melt isn't critical to the history, you could just re-work that; or invent some kind of fictitious new class of nuke that wouldn't cause a nuclear winter.

Caelestion
2006-09-14, 01:16 PM
You could simply go with the melting of the icecaps and ecological disaster collapsing civilisation, leaving out all nuclear references.

Fizban
2006-09-14, 08:51 PM
I like the idea, but I can't say I'm too enamored of people shrinking just because they live on an island. Now, if the big world changing disaster created a world in which being small was advantageous, then you could argue evolution.

But I'm just being nitpicky, sounds like a fun game.

Vindemiatrix
2006-09-14, 09:39 PM
Aww...the Technomage sounds like an awesome class (or at least a prestige class...)! I wanna see!

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-14, 10:04 PM
I like the idea, but I can't say I'm too enamored of people shrinking just because they live on an island.

Actually, it's a fairly well-documented phenomenon. When trapped on islands but sudden climate shift or the like, large animals evolve too become smaller, and smaller animals evolve to become larger.

Guinea Anubis
2006-09-15, 01:20 AM
Actually, it's a fairly well-documented phenomenon. When trapped on islands but sudden climate shift or the like, large animals evolve too become smaller, and smaller animals evolve to become larger.

like he said there is documentation for it. Take a look at this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_floriensis

Telonius
2006-09-15, 10:17 AM
That particular skull is still under a lot of debate. But yes, insular dwarfism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_dwarfing) is an actual phenomenon. One possible reason for it is a larger than usual presence of predators or other dangerous creatures. Considering there's about 37 million poisonous or otherwise dangerous kinds of plants and animals in Australia, I'd say it would be a good candidate for that.

Guinea Anubis
2006-09-15, 10:44 AM
Aww...the Technomage sounds like an awesome class (or at least a prestige class...)! I wanna see!

If I was any good at making PrCs I would make it a player PrC. But as it is I suck at it.