PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Oriented Campaign Help

Brom
2009-02-22, 08:46 PM
I want to do a Complete Warrior styled campaign, but I need the ability to make maps to show positions quickly and easily.

((The idea was that I would use the play by post forums here.))

Can anyone point me to a way of making maps that could fill the purpose? They don't need to be elaborate, simplicity and expedience is the most important factor here.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-02-22, 10:31 PM
I want to do a Complete Warrior styled campaign, but I need the ability to make maps to show positions quickly and easily.

((The idea was that I would use the play by post forums here.))

Can anyone point me to a way of making maps that could fill the purpose? They don't need to be elaborate, simplicity and expedience is the most important factor here.
A lot of hobby stores will sell vinyl battle mats. You can draw on them using water-soluble markers and wipe them clean again with ease. No smudging, unlike with dry-erase markers (which are inadvisable to use on the mat).

You can then use mini's, coins, chess pieces or mark directly on the mat to denote position.

afroakuma
2009-02-22, 10:37 PM
This thread will have more success in the main Gaming forum. I'll go mention it to a local mod.

RTGoodman
2009-02-23, 02:13 AM
If you're doing Play-by-Post, you could just use MS Paint, Excel, Inkscape, or anything similar. Just do up a grid, put some colors on it, and save it. Once you have combat start, you just have to change some letters/markers around to show where monsters and PCs are and you're all set. You can use Photobucket or any other photo uploading sites to store the stuff online.

Brom
2009-02-23, 03:28 AM
Where can I get MS Paint or Inkscape?

Optimystik
2009-02-23, 03:42 AM
Where can I get MS Paint or Inkscape?

Paint comes with Windows, so chances are you have it already.

kamikasei
2009-02-23, 03:42 AM
You could look in to the program MapTool, which handles grids, tokens etc. for you; you can arrange the map from round to round, take a screenshot, and post it somewhere like Imageshack or Photobucket.

You will definitely need free image hosting; Google the above-mentioned sites and pick one (or some other - there are plenty).

MS Paint comes with Windows. Inkscape is available for free; Google the name. GIMP may also help you with preparing maps and/or tokens/icons/"minis"; it's also freely available. Uhm, might be best to Google "GNU Image Manipulation Project" in that case. :smallwink: