PDA

View Full Version : Feat Help for an Archivist

Nohwl
2009-02-22, 09:43 PM
i am planning a character for a new game and am not sure if i missed any feats that i should take, and what the last few feats should be if i didn't miss anything. it's a human archivist 10/sacred exorcist 10. i am looking for something high powered; dragon magazine and third party stuff are the only things not allowed.

the feats i was planning using for the character are:

Extend Spell
Quicken Spell
Persistent Spell
Divine Metamagic Quicken
Divine Metamagic Persistent

any help is appreciated.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-02-23, 12:17 AM
Knowledge Devotion. all the awesome of the Dark Knowledge class feature in convenient feat form. And it stacks.

Temp.
2009-02-23, 02:10 AM
A couple questions:

What do you want to do? With access to just about every spell list, the Archivist has just about the most flexible role of any class. DMM Persist tends be for BSFs; DMM Chain, Twin and Repeat tend to be better for dedicated casters.

What level are you starting at? And, as a sub-question, do you play with retraining rules? If you start at level 20, it's simple enough to throw feat combinations together. If you start at level 1, you have to dance through prerequisites, level requirements and retraining. For a melee Archivist starting at level 1, Toughness and Improved Initiative are pretty solid choices, but by level 3, you'd be a fool to keep Toughness over Extend Spell or Combat Expertise--early-level investment feats that gain utility as you level up.

Nohwl
2009-02-23, 08:03 AM
what do i want to do? im going for more of a caster, i was thinking of a wizard/cleric combination. about 40% control, 30% buffing, 20% utility, 10% healing so i guess about 60% wizard/40% cleric. i shouldnt have a problem making the spell list. one flaw is allowed, so i guess thats 5 feats free, and the others can be replaced, but i would like to keep dmm persistent spell.

its starting at level 10, so early feats arent a problem. i just need to get a few more feats and put them in the right order. the character will probably be built archivist 8/ sacred exorcist 1/ archivist 2/ sacred exorcist 9, so i get turn undead at level 9, and the archivist bonus feat at level 11. retraining is allowed, but i dont think its going to be needed.

Thurbane
2009-02-23, 08:24 PM
You might find some ideas over in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105190). A gnome with Trivial Knowledge get's to roll all of his checks twice. :smallwink:

Nohwl
2009-02-23, 08:55 PM
dmm chain and twin look good. what makes repeat useful? doesnt that one require that the target stays around the same place?

thanks for the thread link thurbane.

Swooper
2009-02-24, 06:05 AM
My copy of Heroes of Horror actually just arrived last night so I was thinking of Archivist stuff myself.

Firstly, I'll second Knowledge Devotion. Stack it with Dark Knowledge for very decent bonuses.

Secondly, make sure to grab the Collector of Stories skill trick from Complete Scoundrel. A nearly free (2 skill points) +5 bonus to all your Knowledge checks relating to identifying monsters*!

Thirdly, I like the idea of making it a gnome just to grab Trivial Knowledge.

All in all, a melee archivist build is probably very viable.

Edit: *Collector of Stories only works once per encounter, but most encounters will have only a few types of enemies, maybe even just one type, so I don't think it's a big deal.

Temp.
2009-02-24, 01:55 PM
what makes repeat useful? I like that feat mostly because I often use Archivists for Summoners. Throw it on a Summon for a slightly cheaper Twin Spell, throw it on Mass Snake's Swiftness for free damage and combat maneuvers.

If you're approaching the Archivist from a different angle, it might not be so useful.

Thurbane
2009-02-24, 08:23 PM
If you want a melee based Gnome Archivist, make sure you grab the Fell The Greatest Foe (or whatever it's called) spell from the SC. :smallwink: