PDA

View Full Version : Decision Making in DnD, made simple

Limos
2009-02-22, 10:31 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/Ebony1590/adventure_chart.png

Everyone has a way of making their decisions in DnD games. Some people metagame, others do things because they think it's "in-character". Some are bound by their alignment, and some just like slaughtering the townsfolk.

Others use flow charts to determine their Warforged Fighter's decision making process.

Tell me, how do you choose what to do? ((if it involves flow-charts feel free to post them. Everything is better with flow charts))

Narmoth
2009-02-23, 02:32 AM
Your flowchart is great, but it lacks the tavern -part, and you have to include:
"is it female" - yes - try to sleep with her :smalltongue:

Xuincherguixe
2009-02-23, 02:43 AM
Only fair to go the other way too.

Hey, if we're trying to be disruptive...

AslanCross
2009-02-23, 02:58 AM
My warforged warblade may have the personality of an empty beercan, but he doesn't use such a simple flowchart!

...admittedly, it's more of "Can you hit it?" <Yes> Use Charging Minotaur. <No> Use Emerald Razor + Power Attack.

And he has tried to participate in a lizardfolk dance.
Tried.

OneFamiliarFace
2009-02-23, 03:31 AM
Everyone has a way of making their decisions in DnD games. Some people metagame, others do things because they think it's "in-character". Some are bound by their alignment, and some just like slaughtering the townsfolk.

Others use flow charts to determine their Warforged Fighter's decision making process.

Y'know, I would kind of say that oftentimes people use all that metagaming, roleplaying, and alignment following to do exactly what you have lined out in this flowchart anyway.

Anyway, for me,

I usually just pick two or three overriding themes to my character and fit everything into those as I go along. For example, my character might despise tyranny as one of his themes. This would determine how he interacts with slavery, charm spells, devils, government and rulers, being imprisoned, and cultural norms (to name a few).

His second theme might be a belief that he is sufficient to overcome any obstacle. And a third could be a fierce love of his friends and underdogs.

As these three themes intersect and overlap and conflict, my character has his actions all planned out. He opposes the control of others, he supports those whom he deems friends or in need of help, and he believes that he can do whatever he puts his mind to. In time, these can be warped, changed, or supported by what happens in the campaign.

Baltor
2009-02-23, 03:38 AM
I usualy roll percentiles if there are two solutions that I just can't make up my mind about.

WingedHorse
2009-02-23, 03:41 AM
This is by far the best DnD related flow chart I have seen this morning.

KIDS
2009-02-23, 03:42 AM
Though your chart lacks some parts like taverns and trade, I totally love it. LOL!!!

I base most of my characters' actions on hunches, which I like to think of as including most of their personality in a passive way (I don't like overanalyzing about "what XYZ would do" too much but rather see how they are through those actions).

Limos
2009-02-23, 10:27 AM
I think I need to make another chart with a "Are you in a dungeon?" question, Yes leads you to this chart, No says "Go find a tavern".

Then I can build up the other options from there.