PDA

View Full Version : [Spells] It's Random Spell Thursday!

Peregrine
2006-09-13, 02:52 PM
I don't really have any unifying theme for these spells, although I might be able to spin a tale about a devious wizard who uses hardfall to trip up enemies down the steep entrance shaft to his lair, and then spellgap to snipe at them from hiding, and cinder to, uh...

But really, they're just three spells I've come up with over the past week. Three seemed like a good number to get posting with. Spellgap was intended to be an improved version of my earlier penetrate lead (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11548549 57;start=0#0), but greater penetrate lead just isn't a snappy enough name. (Note that it also works well in tandem with magic window (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11548549 57;start=0#0).) The other spells... I can't remember what train of thought I was following that lead to them.

Cinder
Conjuration (Creation) [Fire]
Level: Clr 0, Drd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels); see text
Effect: One smouldering cinder
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell conjures a small lump of smouldering material. As part of the casting of the spell, you can throw the cinder at a target within range, requiring a ranged touch attack; otherwise, you can simply cause it to appear anywhere within arm's reach. The cinder deals 1 point of fire damage per round to unprotected flesh or flammable objects; it will cause tinder or other highly flammable substances to catch fire in 1 round. The cinder will die in one minute, becoming an inert lump of charcoal-like material; however, it can be banked in ash or other insulating material to conserve its heat, and any time spent so insulated does not count against the one minute limit.

Hardfall
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: One Medium or smaller freefalling object or creature/level, no two of which may be more than 20 ft. apart
Duration: Until landing or 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell is the malicious creation of a wizard who worked for years trying to find an effective counter for feather fall. His result is not quite perfect, since it cannot be cast as quickly as that spell, but if the subjects are falling far enough it can be quite effective.

The targets of the spell fall 50% faster than normal: 225 feet in the first round of descent, and 450 feet per round thereafter. They also take and deal extra damage upon landing, as if the fall were half again as far. The falling damage limit is increased to 30d6.

The spell affects one or more Medium or smaller creatures (including gear and carried objects up to each creature’s maximum load) or objects, or the equivalent in larger creatures: A Large creature or object counts as two Medium creatures or objects, a Huge creature or object counts as two Large creatures or objects, and so forth.

Hardfall dispels (but does not counter) feather fall.

Spellgap
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M
Range: Touch
Target: One barrier
Duration: 1 min. or until discharged
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell creates an invisible portal through a barrier, granting line of effect in the quarter circle in front of the portal to any caster standing adjacent to the spellgap. The spellgap is discharged after one spell is cast through it. This spell does not allow you to see through the wall; you (or whoever first casts through the spellgap) may need to use other means to locate targets your spell, unless you are simply designating a point in space.

A spellgap can be created through up to 3 feet of wood or dirt, 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, or a thin sheet of lead. While the duration lasts, further spellgaps cast at the same point on the barrier can be used to make the gap pass through thicker barriers, or barriers made of multiple materials. (For this purpose, two spellgaps will penetrate up to 1 inch of lead.) [The following is probably a little too complicated mathematically, and would require me to set a size for the spellgap. It should probably just be left out, for simplicity, and the quarter circle drawn from the far side of the barrier.] However, the area in which line of effect is granted is drawn from the near side of the barrier, and may be restricted by thick obstacles, as shown in Figure 1.

http://members.westnet.com.au/perey/images/spellgap.png
Figure 1: A spellgap has been created through this 5-foot stone wall (in red). However, the wall itself cuts out some of the line-of-effect area (in blue), so only a narrower arc can be targeted (in green).

Material component
A gold piece, beaten to translucent thinness.

Fizban
2006-09-14, 12:11 AM
I likes them all. Cinder is a nice little idea, following the many variations on pyro-cantrips. Hardfall is just...perfectly executed. I can't tell you about balance, but it could spice up allmost any situation. Spellgap I like more than your previous penetrator spells, because of the simplicity. I would simply grant a 5' square window for line of effect. It goes nicely with the various spell boosting spells I've seen (finding the center, invoke magic, can't remember the names of others....)

fangthane
2006-09-14, 04:47 PM
The spellgap is discharged after one spell is cast through it.

For this purpose, two spellgaps will penetrate up to 1 inch of lead

Actually, it'd take 3 as written. One to open up the first "section" of lead, one cast through it to open up the last 'section' and one more to re-open the first part again. If you amend the first quote to read "one spell other than another spellgap" that'd fix things :)

This would be absolutely incredible for a gnome wizard riding around in a custom-made golem. :) At level 6 though, it might be a touch underpowered in some respects. I suspect I'd look at permitting a 10 degree arc of vision through the same 90 degree arc of line-of-effect (spot at -4 to locate targets, for example)

Cinder, I like.

Hardfall would go great with one of my friends' trap designs. It's a reverse-gravity trap with a toggle, based around a column long enough to max the falling damage. Step in, fall up, take damage, toggle, fall down, take damage, toggle... Of course flyers and/or feather-fallers are less affected, but one of these in the middle of the column will surprise the heck out of most casters.

"It's ok Jim, I have feather - what the he--oooof! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!"

Peregrine
2006-09-15, 05:22 AM
I likes them all. Cinder is a nice little idea, following the many variations on pyro-cantrips. Hardfall is just...perfectly executed. I can't tell you about balance, but it could spice up allmost any situation. Spellgap I like more than your previous penetrator spells, because of the simplicity.
Why thank you, Fizban. :)

I would simply grant a 5' square window for line of effect. It goes nicely with the various spell boosting spells I've seen (finding the center, invoke magic, can't remember the names of others....)
Yeah, what I think I'll actually do is make it count as a hole in the wall, as described in the line-of-effect rules: that 5-foot section of barrier just ceases to count. I think that's basically what you're describing; that or a 5-foot line? (I'm not familiar with those spells. Could you give, or point to, summaries of what they do?)

Actually, it'd take 3 as written. One to open up the first "section" of lead, one cast through it to open up the last 'section' and one more to re-open the first part again. If you amend the first quote to read "one spell other than another spellgap" that'd fix things :)
Well, it's meant to already say that: it explicitly says that you can cast further spellgaps on the same point to make it deeper. If you think it's necessary, I can add, "Doing so does not discharge the existing spellgaps."

This would be absolutely incredible for a gnome wizard riding around in a custom-made golem. :)
If he had an item of spellgap at will, maybe... and I can just see the clever counterattack: detect magic until you see a spellgap appear, then ready action to cast a fireball or something at it.

At level 6 though, it might be a touch underpowered in some respects. I suspect I'd look at permitting a 10 degree arc of vision through the same 90 degree arc of line-of-effect (spot at -4 to locate targets, for example)
Possibly. I balanced it against my previous penetrate lead spell, so if I got that wrong, this'd be wrong too. In fact, even then, it has other limitations that penetrate lead doesn't have, so they may not even be balanced against each other.

Cinder, I like.

Hardfall would go great with one of my friends' trap designs. It's a reverse-gravity trap with a toggle, based around a column long enough to max the falling damage. Step in, fall up, take damage, toggle, fall down, take damage, toggle... Of course flyers and/or feather-fallers are less affected, but one of these in the middle of the column will surprise the heck out of most casters.

"It's ok Jim, I have feather - what the he--oooof! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!"
Eeeexcellent. ;D