PDA

View Full Version : DM vs. GM

kpenguin
2009-02-23, 07:10 AM
Which term do you prefer? In general, DM is only used in fantasy role-playing game aspects, usually in Dungeons and Dragons. GM is used as a general term to anyone running the game.

However, I have heard and have used GM used for D&D games. I try to make a conscious effort to use DM when I can in D&D games, however, since the term is so much more specific and flavorful.

Saph
2009-02-23, 07:14 AM
Interchangeably. Everyone knows what you mean in either case. :)

- Saph

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-23, 07:19 AM
I agree with Saph here (I only really use the term "DM", but I don't play anything other then D&D, unless you count this forum's freeform RPing section, which I've been retired from for over a month).

Ascension
2009-02-23, 07:21 AM
You could just use (X)M, where X is equal to the preferred term for the game you're playing at the time. Except no, that still wouldn't work with White Wolf games. In the interest of being inclusive... I think the only option is Story Master, so you have at least one component from GM, DM, and ST...

Alysar
2009-02-23, 07:24 AM
I run and play games in an organization where the title is 'Fate'.

EDIT: It's a D&D 3.5 game

Satyr
2009-02-23, 07:35 AM
Dungeonmaster is the D&D specific version, as Zombiemaster is the All Flash Must Be Eaten specific one. I don't think that any of these specific ones are synonimous with the overall title of the Gamemaster, as the specific games aren't synonymous with roleplaying either.

The terms storyteller and director, which are also use have another meaning for the role of the gamemaster for me, generally a role more focused on the narrative and less on the authority of the title. less tyrant, more primus inter pares and all that. Which is also why I really hate these terms.

While I generally prefer the German titulations "Meister" and "Spielleiter", we settled for the latin term gurbanator. Why? It's Latin, and it described (among others) the organisators of the circus games, but also includes a certain territorrial authority.

Kurald Galain
2009-02-23, 07:39 AM
DM (tm) or Dungeon Master (tm) is an Officially Registered Trademark (tm) of Wizards Of The Coast (tm) Ltd, a subsidiary (tm) of Hasbro, Inc (tm).

Please be aware that if you use this term incorrectly, including but not limited to in speech, writing, or electronic documentation, you risk incurring the Wrath (tm) of the Official Hasbro Legal Team (tm).

Curmudgeon
2009-02-23, 07:43 AM
DM is short for Dungeon Master, and is specific to Dungeons & Dragons. GM is short for Game Master, and is generic; it's used in RuneQuest and Serenity, for example. Other systems use different titles. White Wolf games are controlled by a Story Teller (ST for short). Call of Cthulhu has a Keeper.

Neithan
2009-02-23, 07:44 AM
I'd said GM is the generic term for all rpgs in general. As said, DM is the trademark term in D&D.

Leon
2009-02-23, 07:57 AM
Danger Mouse vs Generic Mouse

Tsotha-lanti
2009-02-23, 08:42 AM
I use either GM or the one specific to the game being discussed.

Winterwind
2009-02-23, 08:45 AM
Yet another one here who thinks GM is the generic term (and hence uses that in discussions about roleplaying games in general) and DM the D&D specific one. Dungeon Masters in D&D, Keepers of Lore in Call of Cthulhu and Story Tellers in White Wolf games are all various examples of Game Masters.

In German, I used to use the term 'Meister' (Master), as it was also used in the first roleplaying game I played (DSA, The Dark Eye), but I'm trying to switch to the usage of 'Spielleiter' (basically 'game director') instead, as it sounds less tyrannical and fits my view of the GM as just one amongst equals better.

Nohwl
2009-02-23, 09:45 AM
i use dm and gm pretty equally. if i had to pick, i prefer dm.

hi winter.

valadil
2009-02-23, 10:44 AM
I alternate between the two, often several times in the same paragraph. I prefer GM though.

Swordguy
2009-02-23, 11:48 AM
DM (tm) or Dungeon Master (tm) is an Officially Registered Trademark (tm) of Wizards Of The Coast (tm) Ltd, a subsidiary (tm) of Hasbro, Inc (tm).

Please be aware that if you use this term incorrectly, including but not limited to in speech, writing, or electronic documentation, you risk incurring the Wrath (tm) of the Official Hasbro Legal Team (tm).

*applause*

As far as I'm concerned, you win the thread.

Animefunkmaster
2009-02-23, 11:54 AM
Usually I use the term interchangeably (Often DM for a D&D and GM for everything else). When I am teaching new people how to play I often call the role as "Narrator" and slowly work in the term Game Master and then finally Dungeon Master... DM is fine to my ears, but when I first hear Dungeon Master I giggled.

Tengu_temp
2009-02-23, 12:04 PM
I use the game-appropriate term: DM when talking about DND, ST when talking about WoD or Exalted, GM when talking about most RPGs, et cetera. GM is default.

Delaney Gale
2009-02-23, 12:13 PM
In German, I used to use the term 'Meister' (Master), as it was also used in the first roleplaying game I played (DSA, The Dark Eye), but I'm trying to switch to the usage of 'Spielleiter' (basically 'game director') instead, as it sounds less tyrannical and fits my view of the GM as just one amongst equals better.

I could see a really terrifying DM fitting with "Meister". Probably requiring Rammstein's "Der Meister" as the theme song.

I totally get where you're coming from with not wanting to use "Meister". There is exactly one person I refer to as "mesterem" (Hungarian for "my master"), and that's my former Olympian epee coach... you only get "Mester" if I personally feel subordinate to you due to your immense skill and knowledge.

ocato
2009-02-23, 12:14 PM
I use DM for everything because it irks my pretentious gamer friends.

Tonight you delve into the black-hearted abyss, are you prepared to heed... The Call of Cthuhlu?

Sure, who's DMing?

The keeper...

Okay, you're keepin' us from playing. I need to know who is DM so I can ask a few questions first.

Tengu_temp
2009-02-23, 12:23 PM
I'd say that using a DND-specific term (no other system uses "DM" as far as I'm aware) for other games, purposely to annoy the players, is more pretentious.

Winterwind
2009-02-23, 12:37 PM
I could see a really terrifying DM fitting with "Meister". Probably requiring Rammstein's "Der Meister" as the theme song.Until the group counters with Subway To Sally's "Das Opfer", with its "Ich hab meinen Meister verraten" ("I have betrayed my master") refrain... :smallwink:

I totally get where you're coming from with not wanting to use "Meister". There is exactly one person I refer to as "mesterem" (Hungarian for "my master"), and that's my former Olympian epee coach... you only get "Mester" if I personally feel subordinate to you due to your immense skill and knowledge.Well, since I am usually the GM for our group, it's more me not wanting to make it seem as if I wanted to elevate myself into an undue position of superiority, rather than me not wanting to subordinate, but yeah, that too.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-02-23, 03:04 PM
I use DM for all my games, because they are filled with naught but darkness and suffering! :xykon:

More seriously, I typically use DM just because I grew up with D&D. Sometimes I remember to use GM, but I never use ST, 'cause the PCs are telling the story, not me.

. . .

OK, I'm not actually that pretentious. I don't use ST 'cause it sounds lame. I may begin using Meister though, if I can find a decent monocle. :smallamused:

Xuincherguixe
2009-02-23, 06:58 PM
Dungeon Master implies that things are taking place in a dungeon. And while that's likely the case in D&D, it's not necessarily the case.

Game Master is a more generic mouse, and is thus a more applicable term in most cases.

LucyHarris
2009-02-23, 07:17 PM
I use them interchangeably when referring to D&D, but when I'm talking about other systems I always use GM--not because I'm trying to annoy people with it (:smalltongue:), but mostly because I'm either unfamiliar with the terminology in other games, or I don't play other games often enough to remember the specific name. So "GM" is my general term when I don't know/can't remember.

DM, though, I only use for D&D (though I did once slip up and called the runner of a GURPS fantasy game a DM...)

Kantolin
2009-02-23, 07:56 PM
I use them interchangably. Usually DM as it's what I'm most familliar with.

It's actually gotten to the point where I call the storyteller of a white wolf game the DM, and also refer to a person who's currently leading a particular aspect of a freeform game the DM. :P It's just become a habit.

It usually doesn't bug people too much. Once in awhile, someone says, 'Storyteller' and I correct myself.

horseboy
2009-02-23, 08:08 PM
*applause*

As far as I'm concerned, you win the thread.

+1
Generally I use GM, because that's what it is in the systems I play.

Keld Denar
2009-02-23, 08:14 PM
Just to mix things up, RPGA games tend to use the term "Judge" to signify the person running the game. The act of DMing is often refered to as judging a game table.

I guess it has something to do with Living games percieved as "tournament D&D" or something.

I dunno, when I started playing Living Greyhawk back in 2001, everyone was using the term, so I started to, without really questioning it. I guess I always throught of it as synonymous and didn't think much else beyond it.

Judge does come across as very authoratative though, as in the person who determines the fate of your poor little characters.

Gamiress
2009-02-23, 09:29 PM
I tend to use DM just through force of habit, but then so does the rest of my group.

'Meister' just makes me think of Bergermeister Meisterberger.

"WHAT? TOYS!"

Graymayre
2009-02-23, 09:47 PM
I don't get it...

Is there really that much of a difference between Dairy Milk and Goat Milk?

I see that most people here prefer cow based milk over goat milk. But does it matter that much? It's just milk in the end...

Narmoth
2009-02-24, 03:20 AM
In 2nd ed, you had different names for saving thows. There were 5 of them, and the first was called "Death Magic". Amongs other things it was used as a save against anything that was going to screw the party or player totally.
Abbreviated, it would be "DM", so every time the dm threw something awful that you could save agains, it would be "save agains dm"
So I think you understand that I prefer Dm to Gm

Tengu_temp
2009-02-24, 03:54 AM
I don't get it...

Is there really that much of a difference between Dairy Milk and Goat Milk?

I see that most people here prefer cow based milk over goat milk. But does it matter that much? It's just milk in the end...

You surely have never drank goat milk if you think there's no difference in taste.

The_Scourge
2009-02-24, 04:30 AM
DM just seems to roll off the tongue better.
If you think about the mouth movements you're making when saying the two phrases, DM transitions more fluidly from the first to second syllable and D requires less muscle movement (D reqires tongue only while G reqires heavy use of lips as well).

Tam_OConnor
2009-02-24, 04:37 AM
I use DM for everything, but that's more because I started with D&D and have only experimented with other systems. I'm tempted to change the title to Herr Doktor for Mutants and Masterminds, though...where's my monocle?

Shademan
2009-02-24, 06:18 AM
I prefer being called THE DUNGEON MASTER.
it feels... more villainish.

i wanna build a dungeon and a big laser canon AND have a army of ninjas.... MUAHAHAHAHAAA!
ahem...
what was the question again?

ArchaeologyHat
2009-02-24, 06:34 AM
GM, firstly because I tend to play WHFRP rather than DnD and secondly because I tend towards outdoor encounters and have little to no actual dungoens in games I GM.

Kaihaku
2009-02-24, 06:59 AM
Which term do you prefer? In general, DM is only used in fantasy role-playing game aspects, usually in Dungeons and Dragons. GM is used as a general term to anyone running the game.

However, I have heard and have used GM used for D&D games. I try to make a conscious effort to use DM when I can in D&D games, however, since the term is so much more specific and flavorful.

I only use Dungeon Master for DnD, but even then it's a bit gimmicky. Game Master for everything else.

Tengu_temp
2009-02-24, 07:45 AM
I'd have to say that the term GM isn't very cool, though, because... just look at it.
http://mahq.net/mecha/gundam/msgundam/rgm-79.jpg

potatocubed
2009-02-24, 08:03 AM
DM just seems to roll off the tongue better.
If you think about the mouth movements you're making when saying the two phrases, DM transitions more fluidly from the first to second syllable and D requires less muscle movement (D reqires tongue only while G reqires heavy use of lips as well).

Really? I've always found that 'DM' requires a conscious pause between enunciating each later, while 'GM' just rolls off the tongue like pasta shapes fleeing their inevitable doom.

I always use GM, but not for the pasta-shapes reason. It's just... the term. We're playing a game, and I'm in charge. Everything you need to know in one convenient term. Plus, any game which specifies a title for the GM other than GM just feels gimmicky.

And when I'm actually running a game people tend to just use my name.

I'm also surprised that no one's brought up 'Hollyhock God' yet. :smalltongue:

Waspinator
2009-02-24, 02:20 PM
http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/5395/captainngamemaster.jpg

snoopy13a
2009-02-24, 02:46 PM
^--- Re: Spoiler:

I think that the winged guy is Kid Icarus but what game is the girl from?

Assassin89
2009-02-24, 02:48 PM
I don't think that girl is from any game...

So any way, I prefer the term DM as it relates more to Dungeons and Dragons.

herrhauptmann
2009-02-24, 02:50 PM
Was always under the impression they shifted from DM to GM simply to sound more politically correct.
Because everyone knows that "D&D is all about satanic cults and evil ceremonies. Likewise BDSM takes place in a dungeon and is a thing that sexual deviants perform, taking themselves even farther from the conservative christian norm."
Mind you, the people who believe that also believe that JK Rowling was trying to promote satanic witchcraft with her Harry Potter books.

On a serious note, I learned 3.0 and AD&D concurrently, and never really had a problem with the whole 'save vs Deathmagic being abbreviated to save vs DM'.

Alysar
2009-02-24, 02:53 PM
^--- Re: Spoiler:

I think that the winged guy is Kid Icarus but what game is the girl from?

She's not from any game. That comic book is based on a TV Cartoon from the 80s where a teenager gets sucked into the world of Nintendo characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_N

DM Raven
2009-02-24, 03:13 PM
Since my games don't always take place in dungeons, I'm partial to GM as a title. However, my love of D&D has earned and kept me the title of DM. (As seen in my account name.)