PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous Divine class with Turning?

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-02-23, 02:21 PM
I'm trying to find a spontaneous divine casting class that has Turn Undead as a class ability, and I'm coming up blank.

Favored Soul doesn't have Turn Undead.

I don't care about BAB or weapon/armor, as this will be a support character who will not be going to be 'mixing it up' in combat.

I'm wanting this to be viable from level 1, or at most 2-4. I'm starting the character at level 1, and going to be playing as long as the campaign lasts. Specifically, I really don't want to have to wait to get into PrC's to be able to Turn Undead.

Does anyone have any ideas if this can exist?

Edit: This will be a Good/Neutral party, the GM has specifically requested no Evil characters, so no Dread Necro/Tomb-Tainted/Charnel Touch combos.

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-23, 02:28 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm would be perfect for you.

Zaq
2009-02-23, 02:39 PM
Certain prestige classes advance divine spellcasting and grant Turn Undead. I think that Sacred Exorcist is the most popular. It keeps the same spellcasting that you already had (in this case, spontaneous, because you started with a favored soul/shugenja/spirit shaman/whatever) and tacks on Turning.

Naturally, this isn't the best response, but you could also consider just talking to your GM, offering a "trade," so to speak, for turning. (Clerics can trade Turning for other options, so is it so much of a stretch to have another class trade another option for turning, so long as it fits thematically?) For a Favored Soul, for example, perhaps give up energy resistance and the weapon focus bonus feats? That's just an example off the top of my head. I'd personally allow it, and it makes more sense to me than finding some weird prestige class to dip into strictly for the purpose of fitting your character concept, especially if you start at a low enough level that you don't have access to those classes right off the bat. It'd be easier for me to justify, fluffwise and for roleplaying, "This Favored Soul is different" rather than "this Favored Soul chose to devote themselves to banishing evil undead so strongly that they were granted turning, but then not really." If you're looking strictly for crunch and no fluff, though, I think Sacred Exorcist is your best bet.

Keld Denar
2009-02-23, 02:42 PM
Spirit Shaman is a spontanous quasi-druid caster with an ability called Chastise Spirits. While mechanically similar to TU in nearly all aspects other than target, its not the same. Still, its closer than just about anything else you could come up with, and with a DM handwave could function similar to TU for the purpose of fueling [Divine] feats (I'm assuming thats why you want it).

Otherwise, there is FavoredSoul8/SacredExorcist1/X, but that provides TU that is not available from low levels AND requires you to take either Dismissal or Holy Smite as one of your precious spells known at 4.

Even later might be FavoredSoul6/Knight of the Raven3 (I think this is legal). This wouldn't be available until similar level, but would allow you to pick your own 4th level spells.

I can't think of anything else other than that.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-02-23, 02:56 PM
Thank you for all of your quick responses!

Basically, the GM ran into a Batman Wizard player, with a half-dozen books, and slowed the game down to a crawl every time he cast a spell, then a CoDzilla who did the same. So he is flat prohibiting any non-spontaneous casting. He is also requiring that full writeups on all spells must be presented to him for verification before they are allowed, and all relevant information must be printed out on the spell sheet to avoid the half-hour digging through various splatbooks for the relevant information.

I'll try the Variant that Fennic suggested first. Being in the SRD is good, because he considers SRD to mean Core. Failing that, I'll try the Spirit Shaman.

If I absolutely have to, I'll try the favored soul/divine exorcist, but that is really more militant than I would prefer.