PDA

View Full Version : Dream of a Thousand Cats [Creature]

The Demented One
2006-09-12, 12:11 AM
"All cats can see futures, and see echoes of the past. We can watch the passage of creatures from the infinity of now, from all the worlds like ours, only fractionally different. And we follow them with our eyes, ghost things, and the humans see nothing."

Oracle Cat
Size/Type: Tiny Magical Beast (Psionic)
Hit Dice: 2d10 (11 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+2 size, +3 Dex), touch 15, flatfooted 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-6
Attack: Claw +7 melee (1d2-2)
Full Attack: Claw +7 melee (1d2-2) and Bite +2 melee (1d3-2)
Space/Reach: 2 ½ ft./1 ft.
Special Attacks: Precognitive insight
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., scent, soothsaying, temporal senses
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +3
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 12
Skills: Balance +11, Climb +7, Hide +15 (+23 in grassy areas), Jump +11, Listen +5, Move Silently +7, Sense Motive +4, Spot +5
Feats: Weapon FinesseB, Improved Initiative
Environment: Temperate plains
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: By class level
Level Adjustment: –

Oracle Cats are descended, or so they claim, from an ancient cat granted sentience and clairsentience by a god of dreaming in exchange for an unknown favor. Wily creatures, they seem to gain great joy in speaking ambiguous prophecies and subtly turning all sides against themselves. Though their numbers are small, they have skillfully insinuated themselves into society, turning themselves into essential advisor for both demon and angel, dragon and slayer. Oracle Cats have no real control over what insights they grant; seekers of wisdom pay them great tribute simply to live alongside them, always waiting for the cat’s next words of prophecy. Oracle Cats appear in all ways like normal cats, except that they are always pure albino and their bodies are always physically perfect and without blemish. Oracle Cats are fond of scenting themselves with exotic perfumes, and thus tend to possess a strange and alluring smell at all times.

Precognitive Insight (Ps)
Once per day per HD, a Oracle Cat may stretch its perception forward in time, granting it a +1 insight bonus on an attack roll, a damage roll, a saving throw, or a skill check.

Soothsaying (Su)
On rare occasion, an Oracle Cat will slip into a trance or receive prophetic dreams, speaking or dreaming insights into the past, present, and future. They have no control over this ability–when they enter a trance and what they reveal is entirely up to the DM.

Temporal Senses (Su)
An Oracle Cat’s senses extend a split second into the future, allowing it to react to threats it would otherwise be incapable of sensing. It can act during the surprise round even if it would otherwise be surprised. In addition, it is never treated as being flatfooted unless it is immobilized.

Skills
Oracle Cats have a +4 racial bonus on Climb, Hide, and Move Silently checks and a +8 racial bonus on Jump checks. Cats have a +8 racial bonus on Balance checks. They use their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier for Climb and Jump checks. In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth, the Hide bonus rises to +8.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-12, 12:27 AM
Niftay. Psychic kitties FTW!

paddyfool
2006-09-12, 02:52 AM
Would make for a great familiar, using the Improved Familiar feat...

knightsaline
2006-09-12, 02:58 AM
good idea. is this based on solembum from Eragon?

paddyfool
2006-09-12, 03:09 AM
I thought it was a Sandman reference myself, but then I've never read Eragon.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-12, 07:38 AM
Are these like the psychics of ancient Greece, getting hopped up on fumes and "seeing the future?"
'cause if they are, there ought to be a catnip bag hidden somewhere in their home...

The Demented One
2006-09-12, 06:06 PM
I thought it was a Sandman reference myself, but then I've never read Eragon.
You win the cookie.

Jarl
2006-09-13, 12:52 AM
I assumed Ulthar, Unknown Dream Quest, all that good stuff.

-Psychic cats... Why did it have to be Psychic cats...

bosssmiley
2006-09-13, 06:28 AM
"Ah, how cute. It looks like he's hunting something..." ;)

GJ Demented One. /r/ moar Sandman-inspired stuff.

paddyfool
2006-09-13, 07:19 AM
Mm, cookies :-)

Fine name, btw, Boss S. That story was one of my favourites (not that Dream of a Thousand Cats was at all bad either). For those of you who didn't get the reference, the answer is simple - go read some Sandman, by Neil Gaiman. You'll thank me later.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-13, 11:42 AM
"Ah, how cute. It looks like he's hunting something..." ;)

GJ Demented One. /r/ moar Sandman-inspired stuff.

Another one! So me and D1 aren't the only /b/tards!

The Demented One
2006-09-13, 06:41 PM
Gorbash is also a /b/tard, I think.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-13, 06:51 PM
Anonymous Legion of Gian--
Wait, we have names. Oops.

Leperflesh
2006-09-14, 05:24 PM
There's only one possible vote, and that is
MitP Vote: Yes. Hooray for interesting CR1 critters!

-Lep

Thistle
2006-09-14, 06:32 PM
MitP Vote: Yes
So weak, so helpless, so capable of taking of taking over the world. Bwahahaha. I love it. ;D