View Full Version : Arena Tournament, Round 48: Stewie vs Vinnie

ArenaManager
2009-02-23, 05:24 PM
Arena Tournament, Round X: Stewie vs Vinnie

Map
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q76/NamelessOne_album/SinkingIsland.jpg

XP Reward: 300 xp
GP Reward: 300 gp

Talic - Stewie (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=4793)
Fishy - Vinnie (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=14619)

All Gladiators: Please declare final purchases (if any) and roll initiative.

Fishy
2009-02-23, 10:40 PM
Hmm. Checking in, deciding on purchases and such. THere has to be a way to win this, doesn't there?

Fishy
2009-03-01, 11:34 AM
Actually, not purchasing anything more than what I bought to face Stewie last time.

[roll0]

I've taken the liberty of PMing Talic, just because it would be a shame to win this one by default.

Talic
2009-03-01, 08:40 PM
Init: [roll0]

Must review purchases. Thanks for the heads up :)

Talic
2009-03-01, 09:06 PM
Actually, no purchases, keep it simple.

Round 1:
Start in M2.
Swift: Activate Travel Devotion
Move: to G7.
Move: to F15.

Done.

Stats:Location: F15
HP: 9/9
AC: 13 / 10 FF
Essentia: 2/2, Uninvested
Spells: 5 / 4
Effects: Travel Devotion 1/10

Fishy
2009-03-08, 02:23 AM
Sorry about the delay, laid low by a nasty cold. Let's rock!

Vinnie - Round 1

@refs:Vinnie starts in M25, holding one thunderstone and one shortsword.

Swift Action: Enter Hunter's Sense stance. If Stewie comes within 30' of me, I can sniff him out.

Double-Move to E19.

And, that concludes my turn.

Statblock, for refs:Position: E19
HP: 13/13
AC: 19, Touch: 16, Flat: 14
Saves: +5/+6/-5
Stance: Hunter's Sense
20% concealment: No
Scent: Yes
Maneuvers:
[] Shadow Blade Technique
[] Moment of Perfect Mind
[] Sudden Leap

Talic
2009-03-10, 02:57 AM
Assuming no LOS at this point:

Stewie, Round 2:

Swift: Activate midnight metamagic, allocating 2 essentia. Name Magic Missile and Fell Drain. Next magic missile will be automatically affected by Fell Drain.
Move: Move to J16
Standard: Ready Action: Cast Magic Missile if LOS and LOE is established between myself and my opponent. Target will be my opponent.

If LOS has been established, use this instead:Swift: Activate midnight metamagic, allocating 2 essentia. Name Magic Missile and Fell Drain. Next magic missile will be automatically affected by Fell Drain.
Standard: Cast magic missile, targeting Opponent. Damage: [roll0]
... and a negative level.

Done.

Stats:Location: J16 or F15
Essentia: 2/2, Invested-Midnight Metamagic
Spells: 5 / 4 (or 5/3)
Effects: Travel Devotion 2/10

Fishy
2009-03-16, 10:40 AM
Posted an LoS request over at the arena thread, don't especially want to continue before that comes in. But I'm still here!

LoS is important in this match, because that's when you kill me.

Psionic Dog
2009-03-19, 10:53 PM
HighRef PsiDog

Assorted Ref notes

Nasty, Nasty line of sight. I'm assuming all elevations listed are uniformly at the maximum listed value for simplicity when I pull out graph paper and draw LoS lines.

Round 1: Stewie runs around the side.
Vinnie runs up to the bottom of the cliff. The cliff is high enough and stewie is far enough back that there is no line of sight.

Round 2: If Stewie takes the shortest path along the cliff there still is no line of sight.

They might here each other... both are moving at full speed
Vinnie Listen DC: 0* +6 distance +2 full cover = DC 8 [roll0]
Stewie Listen DC: 5* + 2 distance + 2 full cover = DC 9 [roll1]
Vinnie Second Listen DC: 0 + 1 distance + 2 full cover = DC 3 [roll2]

Make listen to hear opponent... too general for rewind.
Beat Listen by 10: Here approximate location, enact rewind.
Beat Listen by 20: pinpoint opponent.

*Psydog listen method: when moving at full speed with no attempt at stealth use DC (0 -armor check) or DC (5 +MS modifier -10 speed), whichever is greater.

LoS Check

Stewie

No Line of Sight

Vinnie

No Line of Sight, but you hear Stewie run up along the winding path above you and the cliff, just out of line of sight. (He started round 2 somewhere north of you, passed through F17 and G18 and continued on up around toward the top)

No rewinds Necessary. Play on. :smallsmile:

Fishy
2009-03-20, 02:17 AM
Alright, time to lose!

Vinnie - Round 2

@refs:Free action, drop the shortsword.

Move action: head to D14, drawing the second thunderstone from the bag.

Standard action: Chuck the a thunderstone at the wall between F14 and G14.

Ranged attack (to hit AC 5): [roll0] (Probably going to hit.)

If it hits, all creatures in a ten foot radius, (Counting from the intersection, which I think means the square I12-E15) must make a DC 15 Fort save or be deafened.

All creatures everywhere else heard that.

Assuming I survive, swift action: Initiate Sudden Leap, going as far south as the jump check will allow. [roll1]

EDIT TO ADD: So, 5 feet, putting me at D13.

Boom. Done.

Statblock, for refs:Position: D13
Maneuvers:
[X] Sudden Leap

Psionic Dog
2009-03-21, 12:00 PM
Ref only stuff

[roll0]
Hear Stone DC: -7 (-10 +2wall +1distance) <load bang to West>
Or DC 3 for improved information <thunder stone against cliff side to west-Northwest>
Or 13 to pinpoint strike point. <TS @ F/G 14>

The AoE extends to H14, not far enough

Also, still no line of sight on the vertical.

LoS stuff

Stewie

You hear a loud "BANG!" to the west.

Still no LoS however.

Vinnie

The thunderstone detonates perfectly.
Note: a 10ft spread only extends from E12 to H15 from the F13-G14 intersection.

Still no LoS.

Talic
2009-03-21, 06:20 PM
My go, Round 3:

Refs/Any with LOS:

To the west? If he's dropping effects there, then he's over there somewhere... Which means I can now wait him out.

Swift: Move from J16 to J12 (travel devotion)
Move: Move from J12 to K9.
Standard: Ready an action: Cast Magic missile on opponent if LOS and LOE are established.

Done.

My Stats:Location: K9
Effects: Travel Devotion 3/10

Psionic Dog
2009-03-24, 11:40 AM
Ref Stuff

Listen: DC 0 +5 moderate obstical +3 distance = 8
[roll0]

LoS Check

Vinnie

No LoS

You hear movement on the hill top moving north from the South East to the North East.

Stewie

No LoS

Fishy
2009-03-26, 12:44 AM
Uh. Now what?

Vinnie: Round 3

for refs:Swift action: Begin recovering maneuvers.
Standard action: Continue recovering maneuvers.
Move at half-speed to F14, drawing shortsword #2.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Done?

Statblock for refs:Position: F14
Maneuvers:
[] Sudden Leap

Psionic Dog
2009-03-28, 11:13 PM
Uh. Now what?

Well the water rises a little more...

LoS Check

Ref only notes.

No Los, not in scent range, and Vinnie is moving too slowly and too far away to be heard by Stewie.

Vinnie

No LoS.

Stewie

No LoS.

Talic
2009-03-29, 01:04 AM
My go, Round 4:

No movement.

Ready action:Cast Magic Missile if LOS and LOE are established.

Done. No need for LOS. You're up.

Stats:Location: K9
Effects: Travel Devotion 4/10

Fishy
2009-03-29, 12:17 PM
Vinnie: Round 4

for refs:Double move at half speed to G9

[roll0]
[roll1]

I hope y'all are remembering Vinnie's Scent ability. It doesn't give exact location, but he can tell if Stewie is within 30'. Just FYI.

Done.

Statblock for refs:Position: G9
Maneuvers:
[] Sudden Leap

Psionic Dog
2009-03-29, 01:09 PM
Ref Notes
Just included for consistency.

We might have something here...

Vinnie

You start smelling life (that isn't you) when you reach F11.
Does this change anything?

Fishy
2009-03-29, 10:17 PM
For Refs:No, assuming that I keep smelling life as I move to my destination.

Psionic Dog
2009-03-29, 10:44 PM
Ref Notes
Vinnie smells Stewie, and we might finally have LoS with cover.

Stewie is an unhidden medium object twenty feet away, DC 0 +2. Still, with a -1 modifier it isn't a guarantee for Vinnie. [roll0]

Stewie can't beat Vinnie's Hide, but might make the listen. DC 14 +2 distance +2 precedent obstacles. [roll1]

Edit: Used wrong squares for above LoS. No LoS between actual positions.

LoS Check

Vinnie
Your scent sense is still alerting you to a nearby creature.

However, No LoS.

Stewie

No LoS.

All right, Play on!

Talic
2009-03-30, 12:22 AM
My turn?

If so, use the following action:

Round 5, water rising, woo.

My Turn:Post spoilered in case my opponent has LOS. Thus, if current LOS exists, you can just inform Fishy that this area is open to view.

My thoughts (viewable by spectators/refs/myself):Well, I've looked at her sheet more thoroughly now. 2 stances. One gives a concealment miss chance, the other scent. As Fishy knows well that I don't suffer concealment on my primary win condition, I can probably rule that out. The scent on Hunter's sense is 30' range, with a move action allowable to note direction.

All maneuvers are offensive or movement in nature, none will allow her to close across open terrain and stay hidden. So as soon as my opponent enters open terrain, I've won.

By my positioning, Fishy's either on the west side of my platform, or the south side. Possibly north, but that'll be fleshed out real soon. If my distance calculations are correct, it'll be really hard to scent me without revealing location... Impossible from the south, due to distance, and nearly so from the west, adding in distance and elevation.

I can't discount the possibility that Fishy is using terrain as cover, and has my location. After that thunderstone miss (guessing no LOS existed, or sniping rules would have made it quite hard to stay hidden)... I'm guessing that LOS will be needed before the next attack.

I've not particularly tried to hide, other than gaining the high ground. Up here, anything that crests that plane will see me, in the wide open, no need to hide. So I need to even that playing field. Just about the only way my opponent will get within 5 feet of me is by first moving through wide open terrain, if my next action is correct. And since readied actions interrupt any action, any movement, even that Tiger Claw hippity hoppity nonsense Vinnie's got, then the moment I get unobstructed LOS, Vinnie's dead.

On a side note, I just came up with a incredibly devious plan... For 2 rounds ago. Too late now, blarg. Oh well, if I lose this one, it's good for the rematch.

Swift: Move from K9 to I11.
Standard: Ready an action: Cast Magic Missile if LoS is established.

Done.

Stats:Location: I 11
Essentia: 2/2, Invested-Midnight Metamagic (Fell drain - Magic Missile)
Effects: Travel Devotion 5/10

chilepepper
2009-03-30, 05:29 AM
High Ref chilepepper

Yes, it was Stewie's turn. Now it is Vinnie's turn.

Olive Green now under water, Lime Green and lower are sharkable now.

StewieNo LoS
VinnieNo LoS, scent still active

Fishy
2009-04-02, 12:08 AM
Righto, time to do stuff.

Vinnie: Round 5

For Refs:Swift action: Initiate Sudden Leap. [roll0]

Not done yet...

Fishy
2009-04-02, 12:21 AM
Vinnie, Round 5, Part II

For historians, spectators, and people who aren't Stewie:Right. The fact that he didn't ask for an LoS check means that he's gone into "Ready a Magic Missile, End Turn" mode, which means I simply can't hit him head-on I checked the previous matches, and the last time he did that, he stopped at K9- which I think I can hit in the splash with a Thunderstone without breaking cover, even.

Should have brought more thunderstones.

For Refs:That jump check is enough to move 10 feet horizontally from a standing start: I'll move 5, which is half my speed. Jumping as stealthily as possible to G8:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Standard action: Chuck a Thunderstone at K8
[roll2] against AC5. Again, probably going to hit.

Move action: Half-speed to F11.
[roll3]
[roll4]

Which concludes my turn!

Statblock, for refs:Position: F11
Maneuvers:
[X] Sudden Leap

EDIT: Ah, crap. No change to my actions but; Refs:K8, of course, is under shallow water. Does the surface of the water count as hard enough to trigger a Thunderstone?

Psionic Dog
2009-04-02, 11:57 AM
Ref Notes
If Vinnie's jump is valid then LoS is established and Stewie may take his ready action.

From G8 Stewie has cover from vinnie (the cliff) and Vinnie has improved cover against Stewie (the shallow water)

However, since water does not interfere with spot checks Stewie has full view of G8 and Vinnie can't hide.

@Refs and @Vinnie

The thunderstone doesn't detonate. The falling damage section of RAW tells us that water is softer on falling objects than wet mud, so this does not count as striking a hard surface.

Speaking of water: You are currently standing in shallow water so your movement is reduced by half.

Ref Consultation Question: Does this reduce the jump distance as well? If so, then is Vinnie's jump to G8 valid? Vinnie noted he only jumped half his max. If that's a restriction rather than an observation and the water also reduces jumping distance then he would have made only a 2.5 ft jump.

Fishy
2009-04-02, 12:31 PM
Refs:With the Jump check Vinnie made, it's *possible* for him to jump to G8, and complete the move as described, with a -5 penalty to Hide and Move Silent, with whatever additional Move Silent penalty he has to take from splashing around in water.

I think it's possible to complete the move as described: but if the stone won't detonate, it's a spectacularly bad idea and will cost me the match entirely. But it's the move I made, and the information I needed to make my decision was all available, and I'm not sure I can take it back under the current rules.

chilepepper
2009-04-02, 08:53 PM
High Ref chilepepper

refs
According to RAW, shallow water is difficult terrain, costing two squares of movement to move into a square with shallow water.

Shallow Pool

If a square contains a shallow pool, it has roughly 1 foot of standing water. It costs 2 squares of movement to move into a square with a shallow pool, and the DC of Tumble checks in such squares increases by 2.

According to the map text (specific trumps general) you can wade through the water at half speed.

Since he isn't wading through the water, the map text doesn't apply. Since shallow water doesn't reduce movement, by RAW, it has no effect on jumping distance. His jump check is based on his regular movement.

Psionic Dog
2009-04-03, 09:47 AM
HighRef PsiDog

Thank's Chilepepper for dredging that up.

Vinnie:

Chili's ref post is safe for you to read if you wish.

The jump is valid: no movement penalties from that.

Game Resumes.

LoS Check

Ref Only Notes

In my previous ref not I stated there would be LoS, but that incorrectly assumed Stewie was still in K9.

A Re-Read shows Stewie to be in I-11, so there is no LoS after all.

So... Listen Checks. Again.
[roll0]
DC to Hear Vinnie: 21 +3 distance/obsticales - 5 speed = DC 19

[roll1]
DC to Hear Stewie: 5 +3 = 8 (half speed, no stealth attempt, at distance)
DC 18... *sigh* If an 18+ is rolled rewind. "Approaching footsteps from East" could change actions taken with the assumption Stewie is back in K9.

Stewie

Still no LoS

Vinnie

You hear some more movement up on the island top.
You Scent continues to alert you to the same creature's proximity.
No LoS however.

Talic
2009-04-04, 02:19 AM
Stewie, Round 6, part 1...

A bit more water rises.

My turn, for any with LOS:
Anyone not trying to kill stewie in this match:Fishy's hiding, waiting for water to rise, for some reason. Drawing it out to the end? Hrm. Either way, I have to believe that my opponent has correctly identified my platform. First, due to that stone being thrown a few turns back. Their area isn't wide enough for shots in the dark, so my opponent probably has at least a general idea. Possibly more, if he's using the move action to note location via scent. Based on information, my opponent is likely west or south, so I'm gonna try to gain a visual. I'm tired of being entirely reactive. 5 rounds left of travel devotion and a 40 foot move yields a lot of distance I can cover.

If he's to the south? I'll deny cover there. If he's to the west? Likewise. If I can get LOS and stay on my ledge, I will, but if my opponent has too much cover, I'll need to go down. Oh well, them's the breaks. My opponent, between staying ahead of the water, and using move actions to note my location, is likely hard pressed to find actions for readying.

Swift: Move from I-11 to G9 (10 feet), then to H-15 (30 feet).
Move: From H-15 to F-18 (40 feet).
Standard: Ready an action: Cast magic missile if LoS and LoE are established.

The above movement is valid if there is no LOS at any point of the move (which I doubt).

If LOS is established at any point, then stop in place, and take the following action instead:
Standard: Cast magic missile, targeting Vinnie.

If I have triggered a ready action, then I will modify my move upon learning of the action.

Done.

Stats:Location: F-18 (or earlier, depending on LOS)
Effects: Travel Devotion 6/10

Fishy
2009-04-04, 02:55 AM
Oookay then.

Vinnie Round 6:As a Full-Round action, attempt to swim to G8.

[roll0]

Done, sadly. LoS?

Statblock, for refs:Position: F11
Maneuvers:
[X] Sudden Leap

Psionic Dog
2009-04-04, 08:22 AM
Hold Up: Illegal action, Rewind to Stewie's turn.

Stewie

Your first swift action stated you are moving from I-ll to H-15 by way of G-9.

G-9 is 15 ft lower than your current elevation and completely submerged underwater. Thus, you can not arrive at H-15 by way of G-9 with only 40 ft of movement.

In fact, even if G-9 was at your elevation such an action would still require 45 ft of movement and be unachievable.

The game reverts to just prior to the illegal swift action, here the beginning of your turn. Please post either a revised swift action or else a completely new action set.

Talic
2009-04-04, 03:46 PM
Copied, and edited from original post.

@Refs:Was a misreading of the map. G10 was the intended destination.

Stewie, Round 6, part 1... (redux)

A bit more water rises.

My turn, for any with LOS:
Anyone not trying to kill stewie in this match:Fishy's hiding, waiting for water to rise, for some reason. Drawing it out to the end? Hrm. Either way, I have to believe that my opponent has correctly identified my platform. First, due to that stone being thrown a few turns back. Their area isn't wide enough for shots in the dark, so my opponent probably has at least a general idea. Possibly more, if he's using the move action to note location via scent. Based on information, my opponent is likely west or south, so I'm gonna try to gain a visual. I'm tired of being entirely reactive. 5 rounds left of travel devotion and a 40 foot move yields a lot of distance I can cover.

If he's to the south? I'll deny cover there. If he's to the west? Likewise. If I can get LOS and stay on my ledge, I will, but if my opponent has too much cover, I'll need to go down. Oh well, them's the breaks. My opponent, between staying ahead of the water, and using move actions to note my location, is likely hard pressed to find actions for readying.

Swift: Move from I-11 to G10 (10 feet), then to H-15 (30 feet).
Move: From H-15 to F-18 (40 feet).
Standard: Ready an action: Cast magic missile if LoS and LoE are established.

The above movement is valid if there is no LOS at any point of the move (which I doubt).

If LOS is established at any point, then stop in place, and take the following action instead:
Standard: Cast magic missile, targeting Vinnie.

If I have triggered a ready action, then I will modify my move upon learning of the action.

Done.

Stats:Location: F-18 (or earlier, depending on LOS)
Effects: Travel Devotion 6/10

Psionic Dog
2009-04-04, 10:09 PM
LoS Established when Stewie steps into G-10. Vinnie is is F-11.

The cliff gives cover to Stewie from Vinnie.
The shallow water gives Vinnie cover from Stewie.

Stewie isn't hiding, and since water doesn't interfere with LoS Vinnie can't hide.

I'll let Stewie roll the forthcoming Magic Missile damage and effects.

Talic
2009-04-05, 12:21 AM
Wait... F11, that's deep water. Why are you there?

Per the above text. According to the ref, you have cover, not total cover, so you're not underwater. Even if you were, this isn't a ranged attack, and water only blocks LOE for fire spells.

Stop at G10. Per above text, amending actions per that point.

Standard: Cast Magic Missile, target Vinnie. As I've invested essentia in Midnight metamagic, my next magic missile is automatically affected by Fell Drain.

Provided it hits, here's damage: [roll0] and a Negative Level.

Fishy
2009-04-05, 01:35 AM
Threw my last thunderstone two rounds ago, and it hit water and didn't go off. So, figured I'd go back and get it. Didn't work.

Rise as a wight in [roll0] days and eat your face.

Talic
2009-04-05, 01:50 AM
Ouch!

As for the undead problem I'm going to have... It's always been wight under my nose. Alas, I don't have the wight stuff to deal with such a problem. Hopefully, two days will bring a different random match here. That'd be funny. Right between two people duking it out, a wight stands up.

That kinda match would be wight up my alley.

I thought of it two rounds late, but right after you threw that thunderstone, before the water rose, I shoulda jumped down into the middle area, and moved to the other platform...

Incidentally... you were pretty close on that stone... I assume you were using move actions to note my direction with scent?

Fishy
2009-04-05, 02:27 AM
Nah, just yomi. When you didn't ask for LoS, I figured you were standing in place and readying Magic Missile. I went through the archives, and the last time you used that tactic, you chose to make your stand at K9. Scent told me it was possible you were there, so I made my toss. And forgot completely about the water.

Talic
2009-04-05, 04:10 AM
Wait, you threw at K9? Was that the one that hit water? Because the stone I was referring to is the one on the west side of the west platform. The one that banged really loud, but was thankfully far enough away that I didn't need to roll. I thought you'd gotten a move action direction sniff on that, and were blind throwing, so that you wouldn't have to take a huge hide penalty for sniping.

I chose K9 that earlier match because it had good LOS to most locations, and the most distance from the ramp leading up.

This match, I was going to settle on I-11, as you could theoretically jump up and pin me in, and my defensive casting sucks. Putting 10 feet around me in most directions made that harder, and increased the likelihood of getting LOS while you were far enough out that you weren't a danger to my casting, or my ability, at least, to 5 foot step and cast. Because if my ready action tripped when you appeared 5 feet away from me? Yeah, I'd have not taken it, rather than take the AoO, and give you two chances to whack me. I'd have hoped for a miss, and then I'd have done a withdraw off the side, and a travel devotion move to take me FAR away.

Psionic Dog
2009-04-06, 05:51 PM
High Ref PsiDog

Stewie wins by the magicked magic missile!