PDA

View Full Version : Thunderspire Labyrinth question

tcrudisi
2009-02-23, 05:36 PM
I'm confused by the first encounter in Thunderspire Mountain (Encounter A1-1: Into the Mountain). It appears that the small chamber where the encounter takes place is a small distance away from the 7-Pillared Hall. If the PC's are heading straight to that Hall, which is where I believe most groups would head to first, what is there to prod them into finding that chamber? It's no in the direct path to get there, according to the map. To me, that means that they would have to strike out from the Hall, in an attempt to look for things, which makes finding it... sort of trivial. Ya know? Can someone shed some light on this for me, please?

Hzurr
2009-02-23, 05:57 PM
If I remember correctly, the road up into thunderspire has a number of side passages and small rooms directly off the path, and the encounter takes place in one of these. I believe there's a perception check for the characters to notice the yelling of the halfling, the threats the bloodreavers are making towards it, or even the fact that one of the buildings is occupied.

Edit: it just re-read your post, and now I'm certain of it. The encounter takes place directly off the tunnel that the players must take in order to get to the Seven Pillered Hall, so unless they sneak in from the Underdark, they'll pass it.

If you have a character trained in perception, his/her passive perception will most likely be high enough to notice a light coming from under a doorway, or raised voices coming from a window. If you don't use passive perception (like me), odds are that a character will still roll well enough.

Even if the players don't notice, it's not really a huge deal. I mean, they don't really have a lot of choices in where to stay once they reach the hall. The main point of that initial encounter is to have someone there who can answer their questions about the hall, and give them a minor push in the right direction, but theoretically, this roll could be filled by a number of people in the hall.

tcrudisi
2009-02-23, 06:10 PM
Thanks.

Apparently a message must be at least 10 characters. I didn't know that. That's also why I typed this -- now everyone knows. :-P