PDA

View Full Version : Assassin Spells?

Skjaldbakka
2009-02-24, 03:09 AM
Looking for suggestions on assassin spells. The ones in the DMG seem kind of sad. I'm building a pregen that is 4th level assassin, and would appreciate any suggestions for 1st and 2nd level spells.

Hopefully I'll get a few suggestions by the time I get all my sourcebooks pulled out.

Dhavaer
2009-02-24, 03:15 AM
Complete Adventurer has some good ones, probably reprinted in the Spell Compendium. One in particular is called Distract Foe or something similar; it's a swift action level 1 spell that makes the target flatfooted for a round.

Alcopop
2009-02-24, 03:53 AM
wraithstrike
wraithstrike
wraithstrike
wraithstrike
wraithstrike
wraithstrike.

oh, deathsight too! who wants to wait three round when you need only wait one. (or none!)

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-24, 03:54 AM
While http://www.devinweb.com/assassinspells.htm doesn't say that much about the spells, it should help you to easily find Assasin spells.

Skjaldbakka
2009-02-24, 04:46 AM
Does Distract Assailant allow for a save? That and swift invisibilty are the spells I am looking at at this point. Since he'll only have 2nd level spells.

Dhavaer
2009-02-24, 06:09 AM
I think it has a will save to resist.

Edit: I suck, I just remembered I have CompAdv right next to me. Yes, it's Will negates.

magic9mushroom
2009-02-24, 06:18 AM
Don't forget Sniper's Shot. Your next shot doesn't care about the range limit on Sneak Attack. IE, you can Sneak Attack from a thousand feet or more.

Starbuck_II
2009-02-24, 08:34 AM
Looking for suggestions on assassin spells. The ones in the DMG seem kind of sad. I'm building a pregen that is 4th level assassin, and would appreciate any suggestions for 1st and 2nd level spells.

Hopefully I'll get a few suggestions by the time I get all my sourcebooks pulled out.

Blade of pain and Fear: Dur: 1 rd/level, melee touch that deals damage and can frighten foes 1d4 rds.

AslanCross
2009-02-24, 05:40 PM
Don't forget Sniper's Shot. Your next shot doesn't care about the range limit on Sneak Attack. IE, you can Sneak Attack from a thousand feet or more.

As a swift action, too.

There's also shock and awe, which ruins other people's initiative counts as long as you go first. Not sure how effective that is in practice, though.

But yeah, I also recommend wraithstrike and sniper's shot.

ericgrau
2009-02-24, 08:00 PM

Really? I always thought they were pretty sweet for a rogue to have. The better ones come kinda late, but you can always get scrolls or wands for those. Heck, you can get scrolls for the earlier ones too. Why choose when you can have it all for cheap? I played an assassin once and I think I chose feather fall and true strike as my known spell since feather fall couldn't be scrolled effectively, then picked among the rest to put on scrolls. I picked true strike b/c it combined well with invisibility & death attack and thus could start off just about every encounter (too frequent to scroll).

Or maybe this is a matter of sourcebook spells being better than core spells in general. Yeah... wraithstrike and sniper shot. Carry on. :smallbiggrin:

Starbuck_II
2009-02-24, 08:39 PM
Suck that Wraithstrike is 3rd level.

If you do get 4th level spells: Get Heart Ripper.

The only ones who get the spell are Wu jen and Assassin: it rocks.

Myrmex
2009-02-24, 09:54 PM
The Crystal Keep index for assassin spells is good . Will save you time looking up the books.

Wraithstrike, as others have said, is good. Make sure your spell selection includes spells without verbal components.