PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Spell Points

Neithan
2009-02-24, 07:47 AM
I made a google Forum-Search and nothing came up, so I guess it's new thread:

The one thing I like about psionics are the power points. The same system, as far as I can tell, has been used in Unearthed Arcana and is also in the SRD as Spell Points (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/unearthedSpellPoints.html).

Learning and preparing spells is the same, but when you cast a spell, it's not gone for the day, but you lose a number of spell points until you run out. Sounds good to me so far.

It seems the spell points per level table is designed, so that spellcasters can actually cast more spells per day at lower levels, but less spells per day at higher levels. Which is probably a good idea.

But still: The ability to prepare just one fireball but end up cast about 20 that day is still a HUGE increase in power for spellcasters.Which is probably a bad thing.

Does anyone have actual experience with this spell point system and knows about how balanced it is?

Also, I think this kind of makes the sorcerer redundant. Sure, his daily spell list contains 150% the number of spells the wizard has (wizard bonus spells not included), but as a sorcerer you have to prepare for possible situations so far in advance, that I think the wizard is actually superior in this aspect, as he just needs 8 hours to completely rearrange his spell list as he likes.
I'm actually using a nature-witch variant of the sorcerer with different spells, so the class does not become completely redundant, but it still seems grossly underpowered to me.

(As a side-note: The setting my groups play in is not meant for player characters advancing beyond level 12, so problems with high level play would not be a problem for me, when it works at low- and mid-level.)

bosssmiley
2009-02-24, 08:07 AM
I've used the vitalising Spell Point system for Sorcerers only before (because hey, spontaneous caster). Wizards remained Vancian, and Bards retained the traditional spontaneous slots casting mechanic.

Psionics-style spell point casting (+increased access to metamagic) worked ok during the low-mid levels we played at, giving a nice flexibility to the Sorcs sometimes limited spell list. Nova-ing wasn't such a problem once the vitalising variant was introduced.

kamikasei
2009-02-24, 08:12 AM
It's not as balanced as psionics, for the simple reason that it lacks the augmentation system. To bring it more in to line, you'd pretty much have to rework spells on a case-by-case basis.

For inspiration on how to make a wizard work using spell points, try looking at the erudite, which has the prepare-then-manifest-spontaneously thing going on already.

Darth Stabber
2009-02-24, 10:20 AM
Ultimately the best way to implement spell points for wizards is take Psion(possibly Erudite) and rename it Wizard, then go make a sandwich because your done.

Radar
2009-02-24, 11:26 AM
I've used the vitalising Spell Point system for Sorcerers only before (because hey, spontaneous caster). Wizards remained Vancian, and Bards retained the traditional spontaneous slots casting mechanic.

Psionics-style spell point casting (+increased access to metamagic) worked ok during the low-mid levels we played at, giving a nice flexibility to the Sorcs sometimes limited spell list. Nova-ing wasn't such a problem once the vitalising variant was introduced.
The vitalising variant is easy to abuse, if you allow divine spellcasters to use it. The rules specifically state, that spells like heal or restoration can restore your spell points by removing exhausted status.

The thing, that i don't like about this system, is the way dice-per-CL spells are supposed to work. It makes low level spells of that type quite worthless: to get megic missile to it's full, one has to spend ammount of spell points equal to a 4th level spell and you get lowly 5d4+5 damage. The same goes for fireball and other spells. At the same time other spells take the full CL - it's somewhat uneven.
It also seems a bit forced, that wizards are supposed to prepare spells anyway. It is there, only to differentiate wizards and sorcerers.

In essence: i'm not much of a fan of vancian casting, but spell point system needs to be reworked a bit to be coherent and without exploits.

Draz74
2009-02-24, 12:41 PM
Also, I think this kind of makes the sorcerer redundant. Sure, his daily spell list contains 150% the number of spells the wizard has (wizard bonus spells not included), but as a sorcerer you have to prepare for possible situations so far in advance, that I think the wizard is actually superior in this aspect, as he just needs 8 hours to completely rearrange his spell list as he likes.
I'm actually using a nature-witch variant of the sorcerer with different spells, so the class does not become completely redundant, but it still seems grossly underpowered to me.

You're absolutely right -- one of the big problems with this variant is that it tips the Wizard/Sorcerer power balance even further towards the Wizard, by a lot.

I also agree with Kamikasei that, compared to psionics rules, this variant is really hurting for lack of Augmentation.

Pie Guy
2009-02-24, 09:55 PM
Ultimately the best way to implement spell points for wizards is take Psion(possibly Erudite) and rename it Wizard, then go make a sandwich because your done.

But that sandwich might try to kill you with its latent psionic ability!

Psionic sandwich. Remember that?

Human Paragon 3
2009-02-24, 10:16 PM
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105505) may interest you.

Neithan
2009-02-25, 02:25 AM
I also agree with Kamikasei that, compared to psionics rules, this variant is really hurting for lack of Augmentation.

But you could sort of augment with metamagic feats, I think.

I see how that is a boost for the psion, but as the wizard wouldn't lose anything, it's still better than spell slot wizard.

And does someone have an idea how to make a sorcerer type of character that isn't clearly inferior because of his limited spell selecrion? Because I use a variant, that has a clearly different spell list than wizards, the class is not completely redundant, but I think it would be nice to have it be more than an alternate spell list wizard.
I think about making new spell levels available at the same level as other spellcasting classes would probably a good idea.

Arcane_Snowman
2009-02-25, 03:11 AM
The problem with spell points is that they further encourage the Batman Wizard, why? Look at a damaging spell, any damaging spell; take fireball for example, you need to spend a number of spell points equal to the damage you want to deal. Now look at something like Glitterdust, unless the creature has spell resistance, there is no point in spending more than 5 or so spell points because the enemy won't be surviving for more than that in their incapacitated state.

kamikasei
2009-02-25, 03:42 AM
But you could sort of augment with metamagic feats, I think.

I see how that is a boost for the psion, but as the wizard wouldn't lose anything, it's still better than spell slot wizard.

The lack of augmentation makes spell points a more powerful option than power points. It's worse, but worse balanced, not worse from the player's/character's point of view.

Starscream
2009-02-25, 06:12 AM
I think spell points are a pretty good idea, but they can be abused. Your best bet is to simply increase the cost of spells (particularly the higher level ones) until you find a nice balance.

And outlaw any effects that recharge spell points. That is just completely game breaking.

On a related note, has anyone tried the Recharge Magic variant? It seems both more and less broken than spell points to me. Over the course of an entire day it is more powerful, because you will never actually run out of magic.

But within an encounter it seems like it might actually help balance casters a bit, as they won't be able to spam spells over and over until people fail their saves.

UA mentions that one of the side effects of this is that the party will begin every encounter fully healed, but I can see that actually taking the pressure off clerics to be heal-bots. He can do what he likes and the meat shield just has to survive.

Anyone have thoughts/theories/actual experience?

Neithan
2009-02-25, 06:58 AM
The lack of augmentation makes spell points a more powerful option than power points. It's worse, but worse balanced, not worse from the player's/character's point of view.

Okay, I have no idea what this means. :smallbiggrin:

Devils_Advocate
2009-02-27, 05:24 PM
I don't see why they say that spell points work the way that they do. It's fairly obvious how they should work: Prepared spellcasters still have to prepare their spells ahead of time, they just have to prepare them using spell points instead of spell slots. And cantrips use up 1/2 spell point.

So, for example, a 4th-level generalist wizard with 16 Int could use his 15 spell points to prepare glitterdust, invisibility, scorching ray, featherfall, color spray, sleep, grease, detect magic, mending, mage hand, and light. Alternately, he could prepare five 2nd-level spells but no other spells.

He shouldn't get to prepare the above-mentioned spells using normal spell slots and then get to use spell points to choose on the fly how many of each of those he wants to cast. That's ridiculous. I don't know why they decided to say it works like that. (Similarly, wizards should also have to choose which spells to enhance with metamagic rods when they prepare their spells, not as they cast them. Spontaneous casting is supposed to be the sorcerer's shtick, dammit! That's all he's got!)

(Fractional saves are another thing that don't officially work like they obviously ought to. The whole point should be to give multiclassed characters normal save progressions instead of screwy ones. A Fighter/Barbarian clearly should have the save base saves as a Fighter or Barbarian. His Fort save shouldn't be 2 points higher, that's dumb.)

An augmentation mechanic is already included in the spell points system:

Spellcasters use their full normal caster level for determining the effects of their spells in this system, with one significant exception. Spells that deal a number of dice of damage based on caster level (such as magic missile, searing light, or lightning bolt) deal damage as if cast by a character of the minimum level of the class capable of casting the spell. Spells whose damage is partially based on caster level, but that don’t deal a number of dice of damage based on caster level (such as produce flame or an inflict spell) use the spellcaster’s normal caster level to determine damage. Use the character’s normal caster level for all other effects, including range and duration.

For example, a fireball deals a number of dice of damage based on the caster’s level, so when cast by a wizard using this system, it deals 5d6 points of damage (as if cast by a 5th-level wizard, which is the minimum level of wizard capable of casting fireball). A sorcerer who casts the same spell deals 6d6 points of damage, since the minimum level of sorcerer capable of casting fireball is 6th.

A character can pay additional spell points to increase the dice of damage dealt by a spell. Every 1 extra spell point spent at the time of casting increases the spell’s effective caster level by 1 for purposes of dealing damage. A character can’t increase a damage-dealing spell’s caster level above his own caster level, or above the normal maximum allowed by the spell.

For example, even at 7th level, Boredflak’s lightning bolts deal only 5d6 points of damage (just like a 5th-level wizard) unless he spends extra spell points. If he spends 1 extra spell point (making the lightning bolt cost 6 points rather than 5), the spell deals 6d6 points of damage. A second extra spell point would increase the damage to 7d6 points, but he can’t spend more points than this, since his caster level is only 7th. Were he 10th level or higher, he could spend a maximum of 5 extra spell points on this spell, raising the damage up to 10d6, the maximum allowed for a lightning bolt spell.

Similarly, his magic missile spell only shoots one missile unless he spends extra spell points. An extra 2 spell points increases the caster level from 1st to 3rd, granting his one additional missile. He can spend a maximum of 6 additional spell points in this manner, increasing his effective caster level to 7th for damage purposes and granting his a total of four missiles. If he were 9th level or higher, he could spend a maximum of 8 extra spell points, granting his five missiles (just like a 9th-level caster).
That's not as good as psionic augmentation usually is, though, because it doesn't raise the DC. If you have Heightened spells deal damage based on their total spell point cost, though, then they scale normally. :smallsmile:

Lycanthromancer
2009-02-27, 07:06 PM
Okay, I have no idea what this means. :smallbiggrin:
Spells auto-scale, and the Vancian system is designed with this in mind. It allows a 15th level spellcaster to deal 15d6 with a 3rd level slot (see: fireball). Spell-points break this all to pieces, having some spells auto-scale, and others not (damaging spells require that you spend more spell-points to increase damage). This means that you'd have to spend 15 spell points (the equivalent of an 8th level spell slot) to deal that same 15d6 points of damage - 3 times as many resources as spending a 3rd level slot under normal Vancian rules.

This pushes the system even farther away from being decent at direct-damage, which is sub-par anyway, and encourages wizards to be even more Batman than they already are.

Psionics, however, has an augmentation system built in, which pervades the entire system, making things more balanced.

Augment

Many powers have variable effects based on the number of power points you spend when you manifest them. The more points spent, the more powerful the manifestation. How this extra expenditure affects a power is specific to the power. Some augmentations allow you to increase the number of damage dice, while others extend a power’s duration or modify a power in unique ways. Each power that can be augmented includes an entry giving how many power points it costs to augment and the effects of doing so. However, you can spend only a total number of points on a power equal to your manifester level.

Augmenting a power takes place as part of another action (manifesting a power). Unless otherwise noted in the Augment section of an individual power description, you can augment a power only at the time you manifest it.

Since it's inherent to the system, and is pervasive in all of the psionics mechanics, it's far more balanced than the tacked-on crap they tossed into the spell-point system.

Neithan
2009-02-27, 07:11 PM
I see your points, but think I actually like that.

Eeezee
2009-02-27, 11:21 PM
I really dislike the SRD spellpoint system. The power balance between wizards and sorcerers is already balanced in the wizard's favor with normal arcane spell mechanics, but spellpoints almost completely eliminates any advantages of being a sorcerer. Suddenly wizards have a larger number of spells known and can cast any of them in whatever order they want spontaneously, including metamagic application (but without the increase in casting time). Each day they have fewer spells known, but are able to swap them by the next day, meaning you don't need to prepare more than one of any individual spell. Sure, sorcerers receive more points, but the difference is a maximum of 17 - the equivalent of a single additional lvl 9 spell. Anyone who has played a sorcerer can verify that this is completely botched.

It was a cool idea, but the implementation is horrible. It punishes sorcerers for no reason, and it gives an enormous boost to flexibility to wizards but actually ends up gimping them in the long run. For instance, normally Magic Missile is 5 missiles at level 9. Well, in order to boost it to that level you'd need to spend a total of 9 spell points, equivalent to casting a 5th level spell. In every case I can think of, boosting a spell's caster level is never worth it because there is always a better spell for the equivalent level (in this case, cast Cone of Cold or Cloudkill or any number of other, better lvl 5 spells).

Suddenly all of the lower level arcane spells are useless because you need to burn higher level spell slots in order to increase their effectiveness, whereas in the old system this sort of scaling was already built-in. Rope Trick, a staple of most arcane spell casters, reaches its peak effectiveness at level 8 for its 8 hour duration (assuming you didn't buy a Rod of Extend). Under spell points, it requires you to burn 3+5=8 spell points to cast an 8 hour rope trick, placing it somewhere between a 4th and 5th level spell. That's nuts. That means a level 8 wizard can only use 36 spell points that day if you want to be able to cast rope trick later.

Draz74
2009-02-27, 11:32 PM
I see your points, but think I actually like that.

It's cool and all, but it's unbalancing. Like, if you had a Psion and a Wizard that were exactly equal in power (somehow), and then you let the Wizard switch to the Spell Points system, he'd end up way more powerful than the Psion. The lack of Augmentation rules is the primary reason why.

Neithan
2009-02-28, 06:41 AM
Suddenly all of the lower level arcane spells are useless because you need to burn higher level spell slots in order to increase their effectiveness, whereas in the old system this sort of scaling was already built-in. Rope Trick, a staple of most arcane spell casters, reaches its peak effectiveness at level 8 for its 8 hour duration (assuming you didn't buy a Rod of Extend). Under spell points, it requires you to burn 3+5=8 spell points to cast an 8 hour rope trick, placing it somewhere between a 4th and 5th level spell. That's nuts. That means a level 8 wizard can only use 36 spell points that day if you want to be able to cast rope trick later.

So, what other alternative methods for spellcasting can you come up with then?

As I understand it, the energy blast power is exactly like the spell point variant of a fireball or lightning bolt, except that for every two extra points spend, the save DC increases by 1. This is kinda nice, but I don't see why this could not be added to arcane evocations as well?

Arcane_Snowman
2009-02-28, 06:55 AM

Just remove the "number of points = caster level" part. But I don't see why augmentation is really required?
Though it's kinda cool. In which case you just break it even more, spell points, while being an interesting idea do not work in practice because of the way arcane spells have been put together.

Neithan
2009-02-28, 07:28 AM
So you think there are no alternatives to spell slots?

Maybe I should play GURPs instead?

Lycanthromancer
2009-02-28, 07:40 AM
Play psionics.

No, seriously.

It's just better.

Neithan
2009-02-28, 08:00 AM
Okay, so lets approach this thing from the other direction:

Basis is the psion class.
As I don't want clerics but more of a divine wizard instead, both wizards and priests can easily be made by reflavoring some powers and maybe add some new ones.
For wizards I just remove the pet rock and add a familiar instead.
For priests adding turn undead and domain powers won't unbalance the class that much, as they are meant to be supporters and don't have a reyl magical punch in combat anyway.

For a bard, I may just take the PHB bad, but replace his spellcasting with that of the psychic warrior and make a new spell list. Looks fine to me.

As a sorcerer variant I want a witch, for which I just take a regular psion with familiar and a different spell list as the wizard.

So there are two problems left:
Spell selection for wizards and priests. I like the idea of wizards researching new spells and being able to consult tomes to get access to obscure spells, that are rarely needed. Also, I want the priest to have a rather broad array of spells, and both just adding preparation or making the whole spell list available seems grossly overpowered to me.

Second: Druids.
What the hell am I supposed to do with druids? :smallbiggrin:
This will really be a tough one, but as the general concept of druids is unbalanced anyway, this might actually be an opportunity. (Perfect spellcaster, summoner and melee character at the same time isn't really such a good idea).

Eeezee
2009-02-28, 08:23 PM
I think the solution is easy, but I may be overlooking some things (that I'm sure others will point out to help us along)

1) Require preparation, ie wizards are not spontaneous spellcasters
A wizard's only real weakness is having to predict what spells they'll need to cast that day and how many times they'll need to cast them. Do I need two magic missiles today or just one?

2) Convert spell slots into spell points in the standard way. Thus, wizards would spend x number of spell points ahead of time in determining their spells.
The original concept of wizardry was that most of the work is done in the actual preparation of spells, rather than the casting. Wizards memorize the words, the movements, etc. for their spell list, and the actual casting is a minor effort by comparison. This is in contrast to sorcerers, who must exert considerably more effort in casting, which is why metamagic effects end up doubling the casting time (they're that much more difficult to use if you haven't put in the work ahead of time)

3) Arcane spells still scale with level
Ie a Fireball cast by a lvl 10 wizard still does 10d6 rather than a paltry 5d6.

4) Modify the spell points allocation table. Currently, the numbers make no sense (but I'm not sure how to fix them). I think wizards and sorcerers should receive more points, probably to the point that normal # of spell slots = converted to spell points

5) Sorcerers should receive a lot more spell points than wizards (being able to cast 50% more spells per day as a wizard under spell slots). Having only a 17 point advantage is way too low for knowing almost no spells compared to a wizard. One of the sorcerer's greatest strengths is having tons of spell slots and being able to use them to maximum effectiveness; on a spell for spell basis, the sorcerer knows fewer but can cast 50% more of the ones he knows.

I don't know if the Druid class can actually be fixed without taking the nerf bat to it :P

Starbuck_II
2009-02-28, 08:32 PM

As I understand it, the energy blast power is exactly like the spell point variant of a fireball or lightning bolt, except that for every two extra points spend, the save DC increases by 1. This is kinda nice, but I don't see why this could not be added to arcane evocations as well?

Energy Burst I know of. What is energy Blast?

I'm pretty sure it isn't general Psion list.

You might be thinking of Energy Ball (4th level Kinecist power). Or 3rd level Energy Bolt (similar to Lightning bolt).

Devils_Advocate
2009-02-28, 09:48 PM
I think the solution is easy, but I may be overlooking some things (that I'm sure others will point out to help us along)

1) Require preparation, ie wizards are not spontaneous spellcasters
A wizard's only real weakness is having to predict what spells they'll need to cast that day and how many times they'll need to cast them. Do I need two magic missiles today or just one?

2) Convert spell slots into spell points in the standard way. Thus, wizards would spend x number of spell points ahead of time in determining their spells.
I recommended this in my post, but people seem to be ignoring it. Possibly 'cuz it was tl;dr. :smalltongue:

Lycanthromancer
2009-02-28, 09:50 PM
I recommended this in my post, but people seem to be ignoring it. Possibly 'cuz it was tl;dr. :smalltongue:
Or maybe because you're the Devil's Advocate. Espousing things you don't believe, etc. :amused:

Hawriel
2009-02-28, 10:39 PM
Sword & sorccery had a very good spell point system in thier Advanced Players Guide. It replaced all spell slots with spell points equal to its level. So a first level spell slot is 1 point a fourth level 4 points. Add the spell slots all together then devide by half. thats how many spell points you have. Casting a spell cost the level of the spell in points. They justify halving the points because of the versatility of popting off any spells known as needed. I dont agree so id just inforce component rules and spell drain. If you cast more spells per level than your origionaly allowd you take damage equal to the spell level. That is if you are orginionaly allowed two fourth level spell slots and you cast a third fouth level spell you take four points of damage.

NEO|Phyte
2009-02-28, 10:45 PM
Energy Burst I know of. What is energy Blast?

I'm pretty sure it isn't general Psion list.

He probably means energy burst (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyBurst.htm), which is like energy ball, only twice as big an area, centered on yourself. Minimally useful unless you've got a psicrystal and are 16th level or higher, at which point your crystal can fly over a formation of enemies and you channel an energy burst through it.

:edit: ohay, you SAID energy burst. yay reading.

Neithan
2009-03-01, 06:31 AM
Say, Lycan: Are you the guy who did those really cool psionic motivators on the wizards board? :smallsmile:

I really got a lot of input here, that got me a better understanding about how this stuff works. Thank's very much.

I think I've now come up with a system that would work for me. And I think my players would also like it.
It's mostly based on the psion, with parts from psychic warrior and erudite.
Our campaigns don't go beyond 12th level, so it's not that important that the system works really well beyond that. But I included the values for 20th level for reference.

Wizard, Priest
Level|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th|10th|11t h|12th|20th
Max. Spell level|1st|1st|2nd|2nd|3rd|3rd|4th|4th|5th|5th|6th| 6th|9th
Spells prepared|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|22
Spell points/day|1|3|6|10|15|21|28|36|45|55|66|78|210
Access to new spell levels is the same as always.
Spell slots to prepare spells is 60% of the psions powers known.
Spell points per day is about 65% of the psions power points per day.

Spell slots per day are significantly higher than for erudites.
With this system, a wizard could prepare only 8th and 7th level spells, but this would consume his spell points very quickly and my campaigns have no 15 minutes adventure days or predictable numbers of encounters.

All the class features of the wizard remain the same.

Priests have d6 HD, 4 skill points, and only light armor and shields.
Priests gets the clerics Turn undead and domain powers. Domain spells are added to their class spell list. (And so need a rewrite, to remove redundant spells.) They also get a bonus feat at 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th level, which can be metamagic, item creation, and stuff.

Witch (Sorcerer)
Spells known|3|5|7|9|11|13|15|17|19|21|22|24|36
Spell points/day|2|6|11|18|26|36|47|60|74|90|107|126|330
Access to new spell levels is the same as for psions or wizards.
Spell known is same as psions, or about 160% of wizards slots per day.
Spell points per day are (almost) as psion, or about 165% of wizards.

Priests have d4 HD, 4 skill points, simple weapons and light armor.
Familiar
Brew potion as a bonus feat at 1st level.
A bonus feat every 5 levels (as wizard).
Witches never use scrolls, but can use wands normally.
Witch spells never have verbal components.
Metamagic feats don't affect casting times for spells.

The concept of the with is kind of a nature psion/wilder. Where wizards are highly educated people and priests are revered as people apart from the peasants, witches are the hedge mages. Their ability can spring up everywhere and since most people are peasants, most witches come from peasant families as well.

Bard
Max. Spell level|1st|1st|1st|2nd|2nd|2nd|3rd|3rd|3rd|4th|4th| 4th|6th
Spells known|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|20
Spell points/day|1|2|3|5|7|11|15|19|23|27|35|43|127
Everything is like the psychic warrior.

All class features are the same as usual.
Metamagic feats don't affect casting times for spells.

Druid
Spells prepared|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|22
Spell points/day|1|3|6|9|13|18|24|30|37|45|54|63|165
Access to new spell levels is the same as always.
Spell slots to prepare spells is 60% of the psions powers known, same as wizards.
Spell points per day is 50% of the psions power points per day, or 80% of wizards

Druids have most of their regular class features, but the wild shape variant from PHB2 (or was it DMG2?).
There's no natural casting.

The idea is, that druids are both decent spellcasters and warriors. Sort of a wild gish. They can do all this freaky druid stuff, like parting the lake, make roots grab at enemies, call lightning from the sky or control the weather (though as it's a 7th level spell, this is mostly exclusive to high level npcs). But they are expected to also go into direct combat and use their wild shape ability. Maybe I allow feats that grant extra spell points in exchange for lowered effective level in wild shape, but I haven't thought too much about that, yet.

I also got rangers figured out, but that's really simple and doesn't matter right now.

Regarding Augmentation: If there's a psionic version of a spell, it's used instead. All spells that deal damage with dice per level deal 1 dice per point spent and for every 2 points spend above the minimum, save DC increases by 1. I think there are probably a lot more ways to very easily augment many spells, when I get more accustomed with the psionic powers.

I also think that highly complex and rarely used utility spells, like Planar Ally, Guards and Wards, or Forbiddance could be cast not as spells, but as rituals directly from the book or through prayer. Spell points are still used, but a priest can just kneel down and make a Geas ritual without having to rest 8 hours and use up a spell slot. But such rituals always take about several minutes or even hours.