PDA

View Full Version : Cleric CL

Jimbob
2009-02-24, 08:09 AM
Good afternoon all.

I will be starting a new character shortly and I wish to play a healing cleric. So I wish to find ways at low level and with out spending a fortune as I wont have much cash to spend after basic stuff to increase my healing spells.

So lets start at 1st level - Human Cleric
Healing domain +1 CL healing
Domain focus (CD) +1 CL on domain spells (but not 100% if that correct, needs some one to say yay or nay)

So at 1st level my CLW will be doing 1D8+3.

3rd level
xxxxx (CD) cant rememeber what its called and it does, but its a reserve feat that gives you a bonus on all healing spells CL +1

So now at 3rd level my CMW will do 2D8+6

Can any one help me increase this even more???:smallbiggrin:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-02-24, 08:21 AM
The feat Augment Healing from CD gives a bonus to healing done by those spells. The feat Magic of the Land from Races of the Wild adds additional healing to most types of spells, which works to boost healing spells.

You're best off to just try to disable/defeat the opponents as quickly as possible, thereby preventing them from dealing additional damage. Regardless of how much healing you can do in combat, you probably won't be doing as much healing per round as the opponents are dealing damage per round, so use spells to buff the party and yourself and to debuff opponents, and only heal during combat if someone's getting close to death. You can have the party get Wands of Lesser Vigor to heal everyone to full after the encounter's over, rather than spend (waste) all of your spells/day on healing everyone up when they could be better spent defeating more opponents. All the healing in the game isn't going to make the monsters stop dealing damage, take an active role in ending an encounter rather than just reacting to it with cure spells that don't actually help the situation.

Tehnar
2009-02-24, 08:39 AM
Augment healing from CD increases the amount healed by a spell by 2xthe spell level. So a 1st level spell would heal +2, a cure moderate by +4, etc. This works great with mass cure spells.

A healing lorecall spell allows you to use your ranks in heal instead of your caster level (and also adds other nifty effects), but your caster level might allready be high enough.

The divine spellpower feat allows you to burn turn attempts to gain increased caster level. Check with your DM if he will allow this feat.

The prestige class, Radiant servant of Pelor increases your healing capabilities, just check on how your DM stands with the metamagic feat empower spell.

All in all healing, coupled with good defenses, is in my opinion a effective combat tool. You sholdn't rely on it, but it can often save your party.

JeminiZero
2009-02-24, 08:45 AM
I will be starting a new character shortly and I wish to play a healing cleric. So I wish to find ways at low level and with out spending a fortune as I wont have much cash to spend after basic stuff to increase my healing spells.

So lets start at 1st level - Human Cleric
Healing domain +1 CL healing
Domain focus (CD) +1 CL on domain spells (but not 100% if that correct, needs some one to say yay or nay)

So at 1st level my CLW will be doing 1D8+3.

To start with, the most efficient healing spells are the vigor series. At level 1, you can access lesser vigor as a level 1 spell. It grants you fast healing of 1, for 10+caster level rounds, to a cap of 15, so thats 11 rounds of fast heal 1 for a total of 11 HP. Compared with the 5.5 that CLW gives (not including other CL bonuses).

3rd level
xxxxx (CD) cant rememeber what its called and it does, but its a reserve feat that gives you a bonus on all healing spells CL +1

The feat you want is Touch of Healing. Great little spell for out of combat healing.

So now at 3rd level my CMW will do 2D8+6

Or you could get extend spell. Extended Lesser Vigor grants fast healing 1 for (10+3)x2 = 26 rounds or a total of 26 HP (without any of the other bonuses). I won't do all the math, but the same holds true for the rest of the Vigor vs Cure X Wounds series.

The pinnacle of it is to get DMM persist Mass Lesser Vigor by level 6, and cast it on the whole party. Now everyone has fast healing 1 for the whole day, and to heal between combat, you simply sit around after combat to let fast healing take effect.

Otherwise, hope for an undead SS.ninja (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4666858&postcount=5). They can take care of all the out of combat HP healing

magic9mushroom
2009-02-24, 09:37 AM
There are some Divine Feats you should look into as well, notably Sacred Boost (CD), Sacred Healing (CD), Sacred Healing (PHBII) and Sacred Purification (PHBII).

JeenLeen
2009-02-24, 11:10 AM
I think Complete Champion have a level substitution in which you sacrifice a spell slot to create a 'pool' of positive energy. You can administer healing via this pool similiar to a paladin's Lay on Hands ability.

I could be wrong and it's a feat, but I think it's a level sub.
For more healing, albeit not by the cleric, the guardian spirit option in DMG 2 lets your party spend gold and XP to bond a spirit. One of the options is a spirit that creates a healing pool any party member can access.