PDA

View Full Version : The Day the Earth Stood Stupid [Creature]

The Demented One
2006-09-09, 11:41 AM
Brainspawn
Size/Type: Large Aberration (Psionic)
Hit Dice: 11d8+44 (93 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: Fly 60 ft. (perfect) (12 squares)
Armor Class: 26 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +15 natural), touch 11, flatfooted 25
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+12
Attack: Brain Ray +9 ranged touch or Slam +7 melee (1d6)
Full Attack: Brain Ray +9 ranged touch or Slam +7 melee (1d6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Brain ray, manifesting
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/deep crystal, mindsight, power resistance 25, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +9
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 22, Wis 15, Cha 15
Skills: Autohypnosis +16, Bluff +16, Concentration +18, Diplomacy +16, Intimidate +16, Knowledge (Psionics) +20, Psicraft +20, Sense Motive +16
Feats: Ability Focus (Brain Ray), Improved Initiative, Extend Power, Psionic Meditation
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or brainstorm (4-12)
Challenge Rating: 13
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Lawful Evil
Advancement: By class level (favored class Psion)
Level Adjustment: –

The Brainspawn are ancient creatures from the Far Realms, now immigrants to the Material Plane, known and feared by the wisest of psions. Resembling giant, floating brains, they seek to wipe out all intelligent life, as the mental activity of lesser creatures is as a cacophony to them. Brainspawn often tenuously ally with Illithids, as the Illithid’s thoughts do not cause any annoyance to the spawn, and their agendas often coincide with those of the Brainspawn. Certain Brainspawn have been known to keep great gardens of telekinetically shaped crystal, often populated by the pet crysmals of the spawn.

Brain Ray (Su)
As a standard action, a Brainspawn may fire a ray of psionic energy that disrupts mental function, a ranged touch attack with a range of 60 ft. A creature struck by the ray must make a DC 23 Will save or succumb to one of the following effects of the Brainspawn’s choice: 1d8 points of Int damage
10d10 points of damage
Any mind blank effects negated, as the shatter mind blank power
Confused for 4d6 rounds
Memory erased, as the psionic modify memory power
Panicked for 2d6 rounds
Stunned for 1d3 rounds
The save is Int-based. The manifester level of the brain ray is 11th. All effects of the brain ray, save the mind blank negation effect, are mind-affecting.

Manifesting
A Brainspawn manifests powers as an 11th level Telepath.

Typical Powers Known (139 pp/day, DC 16 + power level)
1st–detect psionics, far hand, inertial armor, psionic charm, psionic daze (4); 2nd–brain lock, ego whip, mental disruption, psionic suggestion; 3rd–body adjustment, false sensory input, psionic blast, telekinetic thrust, 4th–mindwipe, psionic dimension door, psionic dominate, schism; 5th–catapsi, mind probe, psionic plane shift, psychic crush; 6th–mass cloud mind, psionic disintegrate

Mindsight (Su)
While blind, a Brainspawn has blindsight out to 60 ft. However, it can only sense intelligent creatures with this blindsight. As a swift action, it may read the thoughts of any creature it can sense with its mindsight, as the read thoughts power, unless it makes a DC 21 Will save.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-09, 11:47 AM
[Psionic Devotee]So what happens if a crysmal gets into the gar... Oh. Right. You answered that already.[/Psionic Devotee]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-09-09, 11:49 AM
"Fry! my skin's all dry and clanky!"

The Demented One
2006-09-09, 12:09 PM
"Fry! my skin's all dry and clanky!"
You're a fast one. I'd give you a cookie, but it would make you to stupid to eat it.

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-09, 12:33 PM
"I must now leave the Earth for no raisin!"

Fizban
2006-09-09, 03:24 PM
Off topic, but dare I ask what the thing is about crysmals? And deeper still, If I did so, would I recieve an actual explanation?

The Demented One
2006-09-09, 03:29 PM
Off topic, but dare I ask what the thing is about crysmals? And deeper still, If I did so, would I recieve an actual explanation?
It's basically an inside joke. A while back, Psionic Devotee starting asking how almost everything I made interacted with crysmals, creatures from the XPH that reproduce by eating gems.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-09, 04:31 PM
Why are all the super intelligent monsters evil? Do they know something we don't?
Bugger, time to go to nihilism.

Good work, BTW.

Toric
2006-09-09, 05:29 PM
I hope you realize that now that you made these you'll have to make Creature: Niblonian and Feat: Self-Grandfathered. :P

Nice work, me likes.

NullAshton
2006-09-09, 06:39 PM
So what happens when this meets a 30 intelligence wizard?

Fizban
2006-09-09, 08:32 PM
It's basically an inside joke. A while back, Psionic Devotee starting asking how almost everything I made interacted with crysmals, creatures from the XPH that reproduce by eating gems.

Hmm. Well, I had forgotten some of that, but why did you end up making a bunch of crysmal related things in the first place? RL campaign stuff, Psionic Devotee's goading, crysmals mind controlling you?

The Demented One
2006-09-09, 08:50 PM
Hmm. Well, I had forgotten some of that, but why did you end up making a bunch of crysmal related things in the first place? RL campaign stuff, Psionic Devotee's goading, crysmals mind controlling you?
I didn't. The only thing that directly tied to crysmals was the Crystal Eidolon template.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-09, 10:16 PM
MitP Vote: Yes. Was there ever any doubt?

Fizban
2006-09-09, 11:01 PM
I didn't. The only thing that directly tied to crysmals was the Crystal Eidolon template.

Okay, was just wondering.

Hmm, on the creature....
Well done as always. Not in my personal tastes, but great if you like it.

Randomman413
2006-09-10, 12:26 AM
MitP Vote: Yes, but any artowrk for this will have to be significantly non-cartoony. ;)

Brickwall
2006-09-10, 12:31 AM
EEHHT! Stop! In the name of all that is psionic!

There is already a floating brain creature! I cannot allow this to pass into the same world! I hate to be the first person to ever do this to DementedOne, but...

MitP Vote: No

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-10, 12:34 AM
GASP! :o

The Demented One
2006-09-10, 01:05 AM
EEHHT! Stop! In the name of all that is psionic!

There is already a floating brain creature! I cannot allow this to pass into the same world! I hate to be the first person to ever do this to DementedOne, but...

MitP Vote: No
Harbl? What floating brain is there?

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-10, 01:46 AM
The elder brain, maybe? Oh wait... that one in the XPH that I can't remember the name of. The glowing green incorporeal one.

The Demented One
2006-09-10, 01:50 AM
The elder brain, maybe? Oh wait... that one in the XPH that I can't remember the name of. The glowing green incorporeal one.
The unbodied, or whatever? I thought that one was invisible. Anyways, this is more like a beholder than that.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-10, 01:51 AM
Yeah, the unbodied.

Brickwall
2006-09-10, 03:14 AM
Your description says they're giant floating brains. An unbodied is just less material, but is still the same. Sorry. These parts ain't big enough fer the two a' ya.

The Demented One
2006-09-10, 03:41 AM
Your description says they're giant floating brains. An unbodied is just less material, but is still the same. Sorry. These parts ain't big enough fer the two a' ya.
Mine's cooler. So there. ;D

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-09-10, 04:10 AM
now all you need is a niblonian

Brickwall
2006-09-10, 11:18 AM
Question: if this does go in MitP, is there a legal problem with us taking a screenshot from Futurama of one of the brains?

See, we want to avoid lawyers. Lawyers are the antithesis of guys having a good time at nobody's expense.

The Demented One
2006-09-10, 11:23 AM
Question: if this does go in MitP, is there a legal problem with us taking a screenshot from Futurama of one of the brains?

See, we want to avoid lawyers. Lawyers are the antithesis of guys having a good time at nobody's expense.
For one, yes, there would be. For two, I'd really rather not you cartoon screenshots in this, even if they were applicable and/or legal.

Rolaran
2006-09-10, 07:52 PM

"Aren't- aren't you- AAAH! Aren't you a violation of a certain popular science fiction series' intellectual property?"

*Brainspawn gets dragged off by lawyers*

I'ts a cool fan homage, but I don't think fan homages belong in the MitP.

Hyrael
2006-09-14, 11:09 AM
"our calculations are always correct, for we are gigantic brains"

;D