PDA

View Full Version : Blood-Tainted Creature (template) [MitP]

Hyrael
2006-09-13, 07:50 PM
Vampires have the ability to pass on their curse to those they slay, creating loyal minions or simply burdening the world with another of the walking dead. However, those who resist and fight back, those who refuse to die on the brink of undeath, are still left tainted by the unholy creature that assailed them. these individuals find themselves altered, gaining stength, speed, and resilience to physical harm. but this power comes with a cost.

A blood-tainted creature looks like any member of it's own race, but usualy thinner and paler, as though prepetualy recovering from illness. they have a odd, mysterious air about them, and slightly pointed canines

Creating a Blood-Tainted Creature
Blood Tainted is an aquired template that can be added to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid whom has had his/her constitution drained by a vampire's blood drain ability to 4 points or less, or who was reduced to negative HP during an encounter in whick a vampire used it's blood drain ability on it. the creature gains the abilites of this template 2d8 days later.

a blood-Tainted uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilites except as noted here.

Size and Type
Size and type remain unchanged

Special Attacks
Blood Drain
A blood Tainted can suck blood from a living victim with its fangs by making a successful grapple check. If it pins the foe, it drains blood, dealing 1d4 points of Constitution drain each round the pin is maintained. On each such successful attack, the vampire gains 5 temporary hit points. A blood-tainted cannot drain more constitution in an hour than it's constitution score.

Special Qualities
Blood Dependency
if a Blood-tainted does not use it's blood drain ability against at least one living creature each day, it must make a DC 15 Fort save or become fatiuged. each day after the first that the blood-tainted does not drink blood directly from a living creature, the DC increases by 1 until it fails the save and becomes fatiuged. after that, it must make a DC 20 fort save each day (with the dc increasing by 1 each day thereafter) or become exhausted. after becoming exhausted, the blood-tainted must make a DC 20 save (dc increasing by 1 every day as normal) or lose one point of constitution. this series of constitution loss does not end until the Blood-tainted dies or uses it's blood drain ability. using it's blood drain ability instantly alleviates constitution loss and fatiuge or exhaustion. the fatiuge, exhaustion, or Con loss cannot be aleviated by rest, though magic can offset the condition until it fails another save.

A Blood Tainted has DR/silver or Magic equal to 1 +1/every 5 HD it has

Rapid healing
A Blood-tainted heals hit point damage naturaly at three times the normal rate.

Undead Taint
A blood-tainted creature shows up as an udead with HD equal to half it's actual HD under Detect Undead or Detect Evil spells.

Darkvision 60 ft

Abilites
+2 str, +2 dex, -2 con, +2 cha

Skills
+2 bluff, +2 move silently

Enviroment
same as base creature

Challenge Rating
as base creature +1

Alignment
A base creature, often Evil (any)

Level Adjustment
as base creature +1

Mostly, Im worried about balance. and whether there's any point to this template when the half-Vampire exists. I would also welcome tweaks and tips on the various abilites.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-13, 07:54 PM
+2 LA, maybe.

Hyrael
2006-09-13, 07:56 PM
well, then it may as well be a half-vampire (LM). My goal is LA +1. What should Cut, then? the Strength Bonus? the DR?

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-13, 07:59 PM
There are a couple places where you say "vampire" or "half-vampire". Is this going into MitP?

Hyrael
2006-09-13, 08:22 PM
There are a couple places where you say "vampire" or "half-vampire". Is this going into MitP?

Um, probably not, as i dont know what MitP is. but, when you do say what it is, I probably will hit myself on the head for not realizing what you were talking about.

Fizban
2006-09-14, 12:35 AM
MiTP= Monsters in the Playground. A new project on the boards, planning on assembling a monster book and publishing it on....some cheap publishing site, I can't remember the name. There's a thread with what monsters are in, submitting links to your creatures, and etc.

Hyrael
2006-09-14, 08:30 AM
Ooooooooh. I dont frequent the homebrew area as much as i used to. Maybe i will submit it. thank ou for clarifying that.

Tormsskull
2006-09-14, 10:45 AM
I'm confused. When a person has been drained to 4 points or less of Con, but survives an encounter with a vampire, they get to choose if they want to add this template?

Hyrael
2006-09-14, 11:03 AM
Well, that clause was added to bring some clarification to "nearly killed." Its open for modification. This template is really meant to be added "offscreen," as part of a character or NPC's background. Come to think of it, i should probably come up with an alleviation clause. maybe nothing less than limited wish or Wish.