PDA

View Full Version : FMA reboot!

thubby
2009-02-24, 12:12 PM
you read that right, it appears they are redoing FMA (http://anime-media.com/fullmetal-alchemist-2-preview/).
word has it it will follow the manga more closely.

what do all of you think? personally, i could go into an awesome induced coma. :smalltongue:

Rogue 7
2009-02-24, 12:44 PM
Sweet, there's actual previews for it now? Awesomesauce. But goddamn it, I still can't tell if they're doing a manga reboot or not. No Ling, no Mei Chan, no Manga!Sloth or anything like that that'd give it away.

Haruki-kun
2009-02-24, 12:47 PM
I like where this is going.... I'm definitely gonna watch it.

Although I did like the other Animé, I gotta say.

Keris
2009-02-24, 12:48 PM
Now... will then include the bonus pages somehow?

Those are arguably the best bits of the manga. :smalltongue::smalltongue:

Tengu_temp
2009-02-24, 01:03 PM
The funniest thing is, even though it's just a 15-second commercial I can already see that the style is slightly different from the one of the previous FMA anime.
And let's only hope it will follow the manga. The anime was awesome, but the manga is awesome with awesomesauce.

Oregano
2009-02-24, 01:15 PM
Wow not comments about Square Enix and remakes...:smalltongue:
I've probably caused a selffulfilling prophecy now.

I might watch this, I didn't really watch the first series, mainly because it was always on really late(and we can only get the Anime channel downstairs, although it might have gone now anyway) but my Bro said it's good.

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-02-24, 10:34 PM
Wow. The anime is great but if they really follow the manga closely... Wow, just wow.

bluewind95
2009-02-24, 10:39 PM
I want it to be out already. I want to watch it. I liked the other anime, but if this one is going to follow the manga... this is going to be absolutely awesome.

Lord of Rapture
2009-02-25, 05:41 AM
Something some ignorant person on Youtube said:

Can someone tell me what is this Fullmetal Alchemist?

Don't tell me Gundam 00 will end soon and this stupid anime is coming out?

I **** you not. Someone actually said this.:smallfurious:

Kaihaku
2009-02-25, 05:54 AM
you read that right, it appears they are redoing FMA (http://anime-media.com/fullmetal-alchemist-2-preview/).
word has it it will follow the manga more closely.

what do all of you think? personally, i could go into an awesome induced coma. :smalltongue:

Strange, didn't Dragon Ball Z recently have a reboot announced as well? Dragon Ball Kai or something like that? What is this remake fever striking Japan?

averagejoe
2009-02-25, 05:58 AM
Bleh. Lame. The anime was a fantastic piece of television. The manga is a mediocre comic book.

kamikasei
2009-02-25, 05:59 AM
I **** you not. Someone actually said this.

What?! Someone on YouTube left a laughably stupid comment?

Well someone go get a Philosopher's Stone because I'm gonna need some human transmutation after I die of shock.

Etc., etc.... my point being, as a matter of health and safety, you have to switch off the parts of your brain responsible for detecting irony, being boggled by idiocy, or registering outrage before you read YouTube comments.

Cubey
2009-02-25, 06:46 AM
Bleh. Lame. The anime was a fantastic piece of television. The manga is a mediocre comic book.

Would you mind elaborating on why you exactly think so? I'm just curious.

Boo
2009-02-25, 07:03 AM
And here I was hoping for something new and exciting...

Like this!http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii18/luyan/RBFMA.png

averagejoe
2009-02-25, 03:48 PM
Would you mind elaborating on why you exactly think so? I'm just curious.

A lot of it is the presentation. The story and stuff is fine (though I don't really consider either version of it to be superior), but what made the anime stand out as something special was their technique, their use of music, visuals, and such. The manga, on the other hand, while adequate, was really nothing special. It wasn't bad, and I enjoyed parts of it, but it in no way stands out. Also, the anime knew when to quit (and, indeed, arguably could have used one or two more episodes to wrap it up.) In the manga I kept getting the feeling that some of the things they only did to make it longer.

There's some other stuff. A lot of the worldbuilding stuff, for example, I tended to find pretty unsatisfactory, and the anime was better off for just not mentioning it. I also felt the villains were much more interesting in the anime, the homunculus presented as made from people who were tried to be brought back from the dead, effectively their sins come back to get them. In the manga they were just kinda evil, and I didn't find there to be any interesting tension there. It's the same problem as with style and presentation; the villains in the manga were just kinda basic villains and nothing else.

Xondoure
2009-02-27, 07:21 PM
Strange, didn't Dragon Ball Z recently have a reboot announced as well? Dragon Ball Kai or something like that? What is this remake fever striking Japan?
They can't make that many FANTASTIC stories anymore so they have to use old ones.

This is going to be incredible!

Xondoure
2009-02-27, 07:25 PM

So? if you think of the anime as a different entity than the manga it will be possible to enjoy both shows.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-02-27, 08:05 PM
I also felt the villains were much more interesting in the anime, the homunculus presented as made from people who were tried to be brought back from the dead, effectively their sins come back to get them. In the manga they were just kinda evil, and I didn't find there to be any interesting tension there. It's the same problem as with style and presentation; the villains in the manga were just kinda basic villains and nothing else.

I didn't like that the manga homunculi aren't actually homunculi in any shape or form either. They're just super soldiers.

averagejoe
2009-02-27, 08:42 PM
So? if you think of the anime as a different entity than the manga it will be possible to enjoy both shows.

And my mind is open to that possibility, but I don't expect it.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-02-27, 08:45 PM
All I really can say is "kickass, hope it gets picked up on American cable."

You know, maybe it'll debut on Adult Swim... along with Rebuild of Evangelion. In a few years. :C

Keris
2009-02-27, 08:52 PM
I'd estimate an English dub out about 13 months after the Japanese starts, that seems to be a rough standard.

(For Rebuild, I'd say at least after the second comes out, maybe around the time of the third if you're unlucky.)

But for us that are willing to read subtitles, April looks good. :smallcool:

Enlong
2009-02-27, 08:58 PM
I didn't like that the manga homunculi aren't actually homunculi in any shape or form either. They're just super soldiers.

*eyebrow*?

Yeah, they are homonculi. Artifical humans created via Alchemy, by Father. Heck, Father itself is a homonculus, analogous to the one in Faust.
And they're pretty dang cool, too. Unlike the anime homonculi, they aren't human, and they don't want to be. They know they're superior to humanity, and they flaunt that. And they have plans.

And Father makes a much better villain then Dante, just sayin'.

Though I loved the anime, as well, but I personally cannot wait for this adaptation to happen.

Rogue 7
2009-02-27, 09:10 PM
I'd estimate an English dub out about 13 months after the Japanese starts, that seems to be a rough standard.

(For Rebuild, I'd say at least after the second comes out, maybe around the time of the third if you're unlucky.)

But for us that are willing to read subtitles, April looks good. :smallcool:

I really hope they move fast. Vic Mignogna's going to be at a con near me at the end of April, so if I get the chance to meet him, I'll ask (after apologizing because I'm sure he'll have heard it a million times already) if he's heard anything about the dub, since I can't picture anyone else as Ed. While I'm certainly going to try and watch this when it comes out in April, I have a huge amount of love for the first FMA dub, to the point where I'd prefer to see it dubbed first. But new FMA faster beats waiting for the dub.

Yulian
2009-02-27, 11:29 PM
Meh.

And it looks about exactly the same, too.

I really liked the FMA anime, too. But I don't expect this to be any better than the recent Guyver reboot. If it follows the manga more closely than I imagine it's going to be like 800 episodes or something, like Inuyasha.

- Yulian

Rogue 7
2009-02-27, 11:37 PM
Clearly you haven't read the Fullmetal Alchemist manga, my friend. It's a monthly series, and each chapter is roughly 40 pages long. Right now they're at 92 chapters, and it looks to me like they're shooting for an even 100. Which means that this manga is going to be finished before the end of the year. :smallfrown:

It's got a tight plot that they should be able to fit into probably around 50 episodes, with no need for filler due to the amount of stuff they have to adapt. Trust me, this isn't going to be like Naruto, Bleach, or Inuyasha.

thubby
2009-02-27, 11:49 PM
Clearly you haven't read the Fullmetal Alchemist manga, my friend. It's a monthly series, and each chapter is roughly 40 pages long. Right now they're at 92 chapters, and it looks to me like they're shooting for an even 100. Which means that this manga is going to be finished before the end of the year. :smallfrown:

It's got a tight plot that they should be able to fit into probably around 50 episodes, with no need for filler due to the amount of stuff they have to adapt. Trust me, this isn't going to be like Naruto, Bleach, or Inuyasha.

generally an anime episode is about 5 mangas, more if there's a lot of fighting.
so to some extent i agree, 20-40 episode series.

Rogue 7
2009-02-27, 11:53 PM
For a standard half-hour show, pre-timeskip Naruto's 2.5 to 3 worked fairly well. 4 might have been a bit better, but you don't want to go too fast.. Keep in mind though, that Naruto's a weekly series. Each chapter's 17 pages. So 4 of those only equals 2 FMA chapters. Which means that at a good pace, we'd be looking at 50 episodes, which would be just perfect if you ask me.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2009-02-28, 07:02 PM
I personally cannot wait for this, since the manga is so much better than the anime could ever be in my eyes. There's some bits I can't wait to see animated, such as Ed and Lin vs. Envy, the awesome manga version of Ishval, anything involving Pride and many more. If the previous anime is anything to go by it'll be produced well, which is always a bonus.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-02-28, 07:38 PM
*eyebrow*?

Yeah, they are homonculi. Artifical humans created via Alchemy, by Father. Heck, Father itself is a homonculus, analogous to the one in Faust.
And they're pretty dang cool, too. Unlike the anime homonculi, they aren't human, and they don't want to be. They know they're superior to humanity, and they flaunt that. And they have plans.

Greed and Wrath (oops, almost called him pride) aren't at least

[stuff everyone probably already knows]They're humans who had philosopher's stones shoved into them and possibly possessed by some kind of spirit.[/stuff everyone probably already knows]

Jahkaivah
2009-02-28, 08:43 PM
I kinda drop watching FMA half way through and hadn't watched the rest of it for ages.

As Averagejoe said however, 90% of my love for the anime (never read the manga) was in how well done its presentation was.

So here's me hoping they can manage to recapture the feel of the anime series while incorporating the supposedly superior storyline of the manga.

Enlong
2009-02-28, 09:40 PM
Greed and Wrath (oops, almost called him pride) aren't at least

[stuff everyone probably already knows]They're humans who had philosopher's stones shoved into them and possibly possessed by some kind of spirit.[/stuff everyone probably already knows]

True, true, but every other Homonculus is, in fact, an artifical being.

Oh, and the spirit that takes over the human is actually an aspect of Father's soul. 's why he calls them "his" avarice, wrath, etc.

averagejoe
2009-02-28, 10:19 PM
So here's me hoping they can manage to recapture the feel of the anime series while incorporating the supposedly superior storyline of the manga.

I don't see that it's better or worse, just different.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-03-01, 07:06 AM
True, true, but every other Homonculus is, in fact, an artifical being.

Oh, and the spirit that takes over the human is actually an aspect of Father's soul. 's why he calls them "his" avarice, wrath, etc.

Okay, I haven't got to the part that explains that.